BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko

Kelbo

Nicko was right to publish in the way he did, the potentially damaging stuff he has chosen to leave out and thats a blessing before a crucial 4 days in the clubs history. If it all goes wrong I wouldnt blame nicko for publishing come Monday morning.

Think nicko's article is a big kick up the arse to Sam and the players which SHOULD have a positive effect.

For me I think we should all thank nicko for his article if it has a positive effect on all at the club. Also if it becomes the flip side to this then nicko should also be congratulated on communicating what path the club will take if results dont go Rovers way.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me I think we should all thank nicko for his article if it has a positive effect on all at the club. Also if it becomes the flip side to this then nicko should also be congratulated on communicating what path the club will take if results dont go Rovers way.

Well happy days. At what stage do we stop thanking and congratulating him?

Yes, but in those changes hes after a two nearly 32 year olds up front, in Beattie, and Gudjonsen, are they really the way to go for the future of Rovers.

No. We need to get rid of Benni and Roberts, sign Di Santo, sign another young striker, and find a 30 year old foriegn (i.e. cheap) forward to provide some stiffening to the front line.

We can't afford any star quality 28+ year olds. We might be able to bag one decent forward, if we are smart, aggressive and lucky. However. if we want major talent, which we'll need to survive, we need to hire it young, before they would otherwise price us out of the market. I think John Williams is heading that direction.

Think nicko's article is a big kick up the arse to Sam and the players which SHOULD have a positive effect.

For me I think we should all thank nicko for his article . . ..

Managers need to be 'managed' just as players do. Sam is no different and needed a shock to wake him up to the reality of the situation. Hopefully, Nicko's article, John Williams' talk and the 'meeting' in the dressing room have all served the purpose of ripping the blindfold from certain people's eyes and a positive improvement will result. Whatever it may be.

if i can use an example of players possibly not wanting to play that style of football. at the start of last season, even before sam arrived, we had roque up front on his own. when sam arrived this was to continue and i say to my pals all the time that roque is a far better player than just playing alone upfront. roque is a footballer, not a workhorse and the same is true for di santo, even though he is apparently willing to run around like a silly bugger...he too is sooooo much more of a footballer than that type of play that has him running from one side of the pitch to the other to try and chase down aimless long balls. 1 striker versus 4 defenders, and yet we continue to play that long ball. i said when incey was in charge here, that he plays the same way week in and week out, but the damn tactics are simply not working....that goes for sam now!!

In fairness, he has every right to publish whatever he wants, such is the freedom of the free press. I think the article was a wake up call to be honest, results have not been good since his return and in all honesty, his teams performances have been even worse. Im surprised it took any journalist so long to snap up the story.

I agree - he looks very good, however he needs another 18 months lower league experience. It would be too early for him.

What happens if we win Thursday 2-1, and win on Sunday - how long should Sam get then in peoples eyes?

Monday morning to clear his desk.

Nicko was right to publish in the way he did, the potentially damaging stuff he has chosen to leave out and thats a blessing before a crucial 4 days in the clubs history. If it all goes wrong I wouldnt blame nicko for publishing come Monday morning.

Nicko was right to write his article - we only have to read this board to pick up a story of fustration from Rovers fans. Many on here have said two games for Sam to save his job. Any journalist could look on this board and write an article about what the Rovers supporters think of the current situation. Is it not a journalist job to find and search for stories and then write them? At the end of the day Nicko is doing his job. We may not like what any journalist writes, that is our choice. We may not agree, again our choice. Did Nicko write anything that was false - and can be proved to be false? Let the man get on with his job is my opinion - at the end of the day, that is how he earns his living.

In all reality creating a stir is a journalists #1 priority. They try and stir a pot and make a recipe that will make them well known and famous.

Whether the ingredients are fresh and honest is another question.

I don’t doubt the freshness of this set of vegetables.

Let's get this right. Nicko doesn't produce journalism or any kind of authentic sports writing. He's a gossip columnist. I wonder how he'd introduce himself to Hugh McIlvaney?

Come on, fellas.

The old boy doesn't have to come on here with us.

No one else would convey the fans' growing discontent to the masses, which we will look back and be grateful for.

At least he contributes. And takes an interest. Fine by me.

There are many an arrogant and insincere poster on here that seem to escape the witchhunt. Maybe we can have threads for these blighters too?

I'd ask him when he last pulled a story.

You could complete the professional coup de grace by waving your collected works of footie agents' text messages at him. And that one about the zen of Stuart McCall - yes finally, we all found out about the REAL Stuart McCall. :lol:

Talksport radio has latched on to the 'unrest in the Rovers dressing room' story. It`s been a regular story on the hourly bulletins today. They got Jason Roberts on the line to ask him about it. Naturally Jason followed the official line & said "it`s healthy to have discussions & it happens at every club every day".

They then played a sound-bite from Lardass. He said something about journos & outside influences trying to stir things up at the club.

Was that a veiled reference to Mr Nixon?? :huh:

Talksport radio has latched on to the 'unrest in the Rovers dressing room' story. It`s been a regular story on the hourly bulletins today. They got Jason Roberts on the line to ask him about it. Naturally Jason followed the official line & said "it`s healthy to have discussions & it happens at every club every day".

They then played a sound-bite from Lardass. He said something about journos & outside influences trying to stir things up at the club.

How would Jason know? He was exactly where I'd have him if I was manager..at home!

I'd ask him when he last pulled a story.

From what I read, Hugh McIlvaney just jumps on the bandwagon for whatever's topical in the sporting world that week and shoves it on the back of the Sunday Times' sports pullout.

I thought the "2 days to save his job" story was OTT and doesn't help us but he's a journo and it's his job! Keep on here, Nicko, you're one of few that I bother to read on here.

Guest andrewpickup

talk c##t have a vendetta against us

re Nixon, some of you take him far too seriously, as said he is just here for gossip and tittle tattle, its very welcome, and I appreciate his imput, just take it with a pinch of salt, the issue is with the likes of talksport and McIlvaney who try to recycle it into credible journalism

Talksport hosts are actually quite favourable towards us. I remember Stan saying what a great history the club had and was delighted that us teams with less money are still able to compete with the megalomaniacs! Obviously the hosts favour the london based teams because thats where they are located and thats where they started out but to say they have a vendetta against us is harsh.

To be honest, i'd rather the media did take an interest in this story as it makes the situation appear even more ridiculous. Without the press to write about how the fans are feeling, the people in charge would be less inclined to make the decisions that they are payed to make. We need the coverage to shake a few bodies.

talk c##t have a vendetta against us

re Nixon, some of you take him far too seriously, as said he is just here for gossip and tittle tattle, its very welcome, and I appreciate his imput, just take it with a pinch of salt, the issue is with the likes of talksport and McIlvaney who try to recycle it into credible journalism

All Talksh*te radio does is just see what's in e.g. The Sun that day and then hold their daily topics around it. It's mainly presented by clowns like Micky Quinn and Adrian Durham and not to be taken seriously!

That's probably the most damning post about Nicko so far!

Let's face it, Nicko is on here because it's in his interests to get some leads and there are people on here with contacts. I'm sure his PM inbox isn't full up just because of people asking if there'll be an 11 o'clocker! Also, it's an excellent Rovers messageboard - I'd expect him to have accounts with all of the North West clubs' messageboards.

Guest andrewpickup

Stan of late has been actively searching us out to have a go, often using Burnley against us.

Adrian Durhams attempts at playing devils advocate are embarrasing and just when you thought there wasnt a stooge for him thicker and more inarticulate than ian Wright, up pops Darren Gough.

Archived