BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko

Kelbo

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Were gonna start next season with Hughes in charge and a front 2 of Bellamy and Santa Cruz. Keith Andrews as ball boy and Andy Todd as masseuse.....stranger things have happened.

Back to reality. I was quite happy to read that article this morning from Nicko. Funny how people complain that it's been put together off here....of course it has. It's taken from here and im sure from other sources to make a credible story which now makes the issue national. Everyone will pick up on it and the pressure is now on.

Say what you like about Sam....i would be surprised if he sent us down but at the end of the day if my perfomance at work was like his i would be sacked. He hasnt sufficiently replaced players like Tugay/Warnock and Santa Cruz. He isn't showing passion....only damm arrogance towards everyone and we are boring to watch. Bolton were boring to watch under him but at least they got results. Everytime we play someone in the top 8 we throw in the towel 2days before and expect a mauling.

Good luck with the progression of the story Nicko and thanks for keeping us informed.

... If you saw the Man City game no-one actually believed in what they were doing.

That was patently obvious just watching on TV. It's been like that for a little while now. The thing that gets me, and a lot of others, is that this team CAN actually play football pretty well when they are given the chance. Big Sam's 'up and at em', over the top (hoof) ball and the like doesn't suit many in the team. Big Sam, let them play FOOTBALL!!!

Dressing room. There were a lot of angry words after the game.

Board room. There is now concern about what is going on.

1. I'd have been suprised if there wasn't any. Football contains a lot of passion by it's nature. The defending for some of City's goals was pathetic, amateurish and suicidal. Dunno who was in the firing line but even the senior pro's like Nelsen, Givet and Robinson all made huge cock ups. If they object to having that levelled at them then it's tough. If as is insinuated they want to conveniently blame tactics then they need to rem that it's still 11 v 11 whatever the tactics are.

2. Boardroom allegations are most serious but rem they have always been split over Allardyce anyway. Rem somebody at the top table would only have Allardyce 'over their dead body' when Mark Hughes left. Whoever that was was must have been a big reason why we got Ince.

I guess we'll end up sacking Allardyce and of course selling Benny and Samba and pushing Dunny into the hole that he's digging in order to pay him out and to pay for a new man in. It'll likely be Megson or Newell but it'd need to be Paul bloody Daniels.

That was patently obvious just watching on TV. It's been like that for a little while now. The thing that gets me, and a lot of others, is that this team CAN actually play football pretty well when they are given the chance. Big Sam's 'up and at em', over the top (hoof) ball and the like doesn't suit many in the team. Big Sam, let them play FOOTBALL!!!

Whilst I don't disagree with you there, the question is then

(and it is blatantly obvious)

What's the point in having a Manager of the team if the footballers are in effect going to do what THEY want and not what the Manager wants?

1. I'd have been suprised if there wasn't any. Football contains a lot of passion by it's nature. The defending for some of City's goals was pathetic, amateurish and suicidal. Dunno who was in the firing line but even the senior pro's like Nelsen, Givet and Robinson all made huge cock ups. If they object to having that levelled at them then it's tough. If as is insinuated they want to conveniently blame tactics then they need to rem that it's still 11 v 11 whatever the tactics are.

Spot on - the players have themselves to blame for amatuer defending or poor mistakes.

I think Tactically - Mancini nailed it! He saw we were a big side, and said 'they wont cope with pace'. If O'Neill takes the same view then it could be very hard on Thursday!

Spot on - the players have themselves to blame for amatuer defending or poor mistakes.

I think Tactically - Mancini nailed it! He saw we were a big side, and said 'they wont cope with pace'. If O'Neill takes the same view then it could be very hard on Thursday!

Let's hope to God that he wasn't in the stands on Monday then eh...

And to think Villa are one of the quickest teams in the league.

There is an awful lot in that. If you saw the Man City game no-one actually believed in what they were doing.

Thanks for your reply Nicko. This last sentance is what worried me the most from the performance. If the players don't believe in what they're being told then there is a strong chance that the manager has completely lost them. Tomorrow evening will give us a good indication as to whether this is the case.

Thing is it's not exactly rocket science playing against us right now. Our form is abysmal and as soon as we concede the first goal our heads drop. Lets face it, O'Neill's game plan tomorrow will be to go at us with as much pace as possible - especially targetting our left hand side. He'll also instruct the likes of Petrov to run directly at our midfield and defence because they sh!t it when somebody does. Loads of long shots and crosses under the nose of Robbo will probably be in their brief also.

Whilst I don't disagree with you there, the question is then

(and it is blatantly obvious)

What's the point in having a Manager of the team if the footballers are in effect going to do what THEY want and not what the Manager wants?

It's a case of Sam changing his tactics to suit what he has. He needs to cut his cloth to suit as the saying goes. It's not about getting the players to do what they want but making his tactics suit the team.

Trying to remain positive, we can beat Villa on our day. Regarding all this, i'm not surprised at all, I 've watched most of Rovers games this season and the one thing that is unbelievably blatant is how tactically poor Allardyce is. With this set of players we should be trying to play on the deck. Now at Bolton, Sam had a team built for aerial football and they were committed to it which is why it worked. At Rovers, we don't have those players and the most obvious observation for me is that you can tell the players prefer playing the ball around on the floor.

During the recent Sunderland match, I was mocking his tactics myself by shouting out 'more long balls, guys!'. Basically, even I saw right through the tactics on the day which is ridiculous as i'm only a fan and someone, unlike Bruce, who has spent many many years on the training ground.

The silver lining is that the players still enjoy playing for the club and the fans, you can tell by the reaction of the players after mondays shambles as they went to applaud us fans. You can tell they wholly side with the fans over the style of football. The fans and the players are united to get rid, seems like the board are coming round to the idea.

Just for the record, I like sam from what Ive seen of him as a person. He's an honest guy who wears his heart on his sleeve, the only problem is that he's the wrong man at the wrong time with the wrong group of players and the wrong set of fans...

I thought it was unfair to call for his head after a nightmare run of games...and I said so.

I should point out I'm not saying he should go now either, but when you hear all of the info that I was getting yesterday - some I have not even printed and won't at the moment - then you know there is a crisis.

I haven't seen enough of Rovers this season to give a good assessment but one pretty reasonable judge hit the nail on the head when he said 'the trouble is that players do not like playing that style of football and you have to be committed to make it work.'

There is an awful lot in that. If you saw the Man City game no-one actually believed in what they were doing.

Which allegedly lead to problems in the dressing room at half time ;) and then erupted at full time.

Nicko,

Can you tell us whether there is a divide between the players over Sam?

Cheers

PS, just so you know your an honary Rover in my eyes now. You've pulled of the best Rovers related prank on Burnley in history. "The lord giveth and the lord taketh away", well in the eyes of the Burnley fans anyway the whole things had me in stitches.

We did have! Problem is that we sold the best and left Sam the rest.

And other teams have a squad that's as bad. Most of them are below us at the moment but probably won't be in a few weeks time. If you are a poor team you can achieve a lot better than the sum of the parts if you believe in the man in charge and what he's asking you to do but if you don't then you are just a collection of individuals who start to lose trust in one another too. That way lies disaster. Unless allardyce can find a way of getting the players pulling together then I can't see anything but relegation looming. We may yet escae it because of other problems at clubs like Portsmouth but we can't bank on that. I don't want us to have to sack Allardyce as it is a waste of cash and the timing with the transfer window closing would be horribly wrong, but in the end it may have to happen.

And other teams have a squad that's as bad. Most of them are below us at the moment but probably won't be in a few weeks time. If you are a poor team you can achieve a lot better than the sum of the parts if you believe in the man in charge and what he's asking you to do but if you don't then you are just a collection of individuals who start to lose trust in one another too. That way lies disaster. Unless allardyce can find a way of getting the players pulling together then I can't see anything but relegation looming. We may yet escae it because of other problems at clubs like Portsmouth but we can't bank on that. I don't want us to have to sack Allardyce as it is a waste of cash and the timing with the transfer window closing would be horribly wrong, but in the end it may have to happen.

No one can defend the indefensible and our recent record is awful. But I'd hate the second manager in 2 seasons to go helped on their way by a large dose of player power.

Modern day football contracts render the age old managers rule to 'get rid of bad players or they'll get rid of you'almost impossible to achieve.

It's a case of Sam changing his tactics to suit what he has. He needs to cut his cloth to suit as the saying goes. It's not about getting the players to do what they want but making his tactics suit the team.

Correct Crazy - its similar to what I mentioned after the aftermath of the Fulham debacle (it was his decision according to our super no 2)

How are the players supposed to know when he doen't know himself - the changing and chopping doesn't help either and does not lead to any consistency. Its no wonder the players are making mistakes - the concentration is so dominant on the negative (trying to nick a game rather than at least trying to take a hold) that we have lost the ability to think about winning and don't know what to do when we concede. Its causing friction amongst the team - all evident on the field of play.

As everybody knows, once you get into a losing streak it is very difficult to get out of it - what confidence we had (if any) has drained completely away.

We know we don't have exceptional players, but we do have some players who can compete in this league and as a team can beat anybody on our day - the problem we have is that we have a manger who doesn't think that.

Why dont the starting 11 just play how 'they want' to play then?!

Im sure if we won the game 2 or 3-0 then Sam wouldnt kick off....its in their hands when they are on the pitch!

I don't think it works like that. If a player disregards the managers instructions .........eg "Don't go over the halfway line" then he knows that he won't be playing next week. The emphasis on setting up shop so that we don't concede isn't working........and that's down to Sam.

I thought it was unfair to call for his head after a nightmare run of games...and I said so.

I should point out I'm not saying he should go now either, but when you hear all of the info that I was getting yesterday - some I have not even printed and won't at the moment - then you know there is a crisis.

I haven't seen enough of Rovers this season to give a good assessment but one pretty reasonable judge hit the nail on the head when he said 'the trouble is that players do not like playing that style of football and you have to be committed to make it work.'

My God, if that's true there's hope for us yet!

Spot on - the players have themselves to blame for amatuer defending or poor mistakes. I think Tactically - Mancini nailed it! He saw we were a big side, and said 'they wont cope with pace'. If O'Neill takes the same view then it could be very hard on Thursday!

If you play with one up.....totally isolated, then you invite attack after unwavering attack and eventually the errors will arrive. This is not the players' fault but the set-up dictated by the manager.

Amazed that some of the players aren't getting more of the blame from fans for our poor performances. We have a large number of under performing players, players who have failed to perform to a decent standard for years and especially haven't been playing well under our last two managers.

Yes the manager has to motivate and get the best out of their players but at the same time if the player's don't want to perform then what can you do.

So who is to blame for our current situation? Sam, the board and the players. Its not just Sam.

Archived