BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Keith Andrews - Time He Went

Hughesy

685 members have voted

1. 1. Should Keith Stay or Go?

quote from Wikipeida:

"After a single year at Hull, he moved to Milton Keynes Dons of League Two for £2.50 for the 2006–07 campaign where he became club captain. He lost out on promotion in the play-offs, despite scoring in the semi-final tie with Shrewsbury Town."

When we was 25 is moved for £2.50, can't be right

Probably not true but it's £2.49 more than he's worth !!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The amusing thing is how sure his detractors are that they're right. Its never "Don't think Andrews is a good player, seemed to have a bad game tonight", instead its any number of extremely insulting, mocking or outraged swipes at him. Still, you guys do have years of playing, coaching and managerial experience at professional level behind you so I suppose you must know better than Kean, Allardyce and Trapattoni. If only they read this board more often to get some pointers.

The amusing thing is how sure his detractors are that they're right. Its never "Don't think Andrews is a good player, seemed to have a bad game tonight", instead its any number of extremely insulting, mocking or outraged swipes at him. Still, you guys do have years of playing, coaching and managerial experience at professional level behind you so I suppose you must know better than Kean, Allardyce and Trapattoni. If only they read this board more often to get some pointers.

Point taken, so what are the attributes of Andrews then, Pace? vision? first touch? passing ability? goalscoring? heading? tackling? positional sense?

Just interested to know.

Point taken, so what are the attributes of Andrews then, Pace? vision? first touch? passing ability? goalscoring? heading? tackling? positional sense?

Just interested to know.

That's not the question though. You keep alluding to you being a football person so what is your professional opinion on why 4 managers with a wide range of experience and achievement between them keep picking him? That's what us non-football people cannot understand.

Aye he's been bloody fantastic for Rovers these past years hasn't he? :unsure:

Just keep booing him and he'll play better.

Obviously :rolleyes:

If you read one of my earlier posts, I said booing him was stupid and achieved nothing, and could only be detrimental to the team.

I just don't agree with him being picked, at all.

Well personally I don't particularly rate him. Average passer, gets up and down well and is relatively good at protecting the defence but overall he doesn't offer enough for a mid-table premier league club. I wouldn't have him in the team but the point I was making is that I temper my view with the evidence that a number of people who make a living out of the game and therefore know far, far more about football than I do think he's pretty good.

So instead of starting a witchhunt to get him out, booing him before he's touched the ball or browbeating other fans into agreeing with me, I prefer to accept the fact that I don't rate him as my own relatively uneducated opinion. While Kean picks him and while he plays for Rovers I'll get fully behind him because first off I can't be sure I'm right and Kean's wrong and second off I'm a Rovers fan.

That's not the question though. You keep alluding to you being a football person so what is your professional opinion on why 4 managers with a wide range of experience and achievement between them keep picking him? That's what us non-football people cannot understand.

Which 4 managers would those be ?

If you read one of my earlier posts, I said booing him was stupid and achieved nothing, and could only be detrimental to the team.

I just don't agree with him being picked, at all.

I wasn't talking to you or I'd have quoted, but glad to see you don't approve of the booing. It was a general statement.

Perhaps just one more page of rants might convince the manager to bin him.

People power….the new owners said they would listen to the fans – hopefully they could see that the booing was aimed at Andrews and might start to investigate why….it shouldn’t take them long to work it out.

Almost 70% of this thread now says get rid….I feel if we reset the poll then that figure would now be closer to 90% as some of those where based on when we had no money to play with & no ability to sign players without selling.

Precisely. Even Kean has spent 20+ years in the game so I assume he can tell at least as well as us what skills a player does or does not possess.

Ince signed Andrews so he would have to back his own judgment. Do you want a debate about the quality of Ince's managerial CV ?

Ireland have one of their poorest team in decades and Trapattoni is hardly spoilt for choice so it's not surprising Andrews got a game. He wouldn't have got near past Irish teams

Sam did pick Andrews for a while but then finally saw the light and binned him.

I suspect Kean is giving Andrews a few games to see if he has improved since his layoff. Andrews won't last long in the team.

I find Andrews an embarrassment quite frankly.

Keith's passing v Tottenham

The above chalkboard I created outlines the passing stats for the game against Tottenham. It's clear to see from that, he offers nothing in an attacking sense whatsoever really. Majority of his passes are sideways and when he does try to play the ball forward more than five years he enivtably seem to give away possession. Not one cross or pass into the box for the entire game also. I imagine this is the sort of thing they willl look at on pro-zone?

As a defensive or holding midfielder this performance may be to some extent understandable. But he was playing an inside right position in a diamond midfield against Tottenham and surely you'd expect more forward passes involved.I know he did have some defensive responsiblity with Lennon but to tell the truth Salgado was left on his own one-on-one against him on most occassion. I often see Keith get stuck in a nowhere land between attack and defense, without contributing anything in attack or much in a defensive role. I must say however watching the game back on the highlights his performance didn't seem so bad, he was neat in possession for the majority of the game (if sideways) and you could argue he allowed the other players to play more. I don't condone fans booing their own players, but everybody knows he's not Premiership standard and I hope for his sake and the health of Rovers fan alike he is eventually moved on this summer.

Neither can I, that is why I ask the question.

As a football person, I am simply asking as to what people are judging him by, if a player has a great first touch, or can tackle, can head a ball, has vision or great positional sense, any one of those attributes would suffice, I simply havent seen evidence of any of those things and he is 30 years old, he wont get better and I shudder to think of the future as he will now get even slower.

I am prepared to hold my hand up if any evidence of what attributes he has can be shown, indeed, last season he was praised only because he was always fit and available, we cant even give him that one this year.

can we keep a running total of wins/losses when keith starts, i'll begin with wednesday. 100% loss ratio when he starts so far then.

OK, we'll do it with all the other players then. Fancy including draws into the scenario too?

Sell Robinson! 100% loss ratio!

Ince signed Andrews so he would have to back his own judgment. Do you want a debate about the quality of Ince's managerial CV ?

Ireland have one of their poorest team in decades and Trapattoni is hardly spoilt for choice so it's not surprising Andrews got a game. He wouldn't have got near past Irish teams

I suspect Kean is giving Andrews a few games to see if he has improved since his layoff. Andrews won't last long in the team.

More than our fans? Wow, I've never found anything at Rovers more embarassing than the boo boys on Wednesday. I can't wait until next time we're on Sky and we've got millions of neutrals asking why all our subsitutions get booed and a player gets booed whenever he touches the ball. Oh, its cause at Rovers the fans think they should manage the team, they can be a bit absurd like that.

Sam picked Andrews to start over 40 times so he must be a bit slow on the uptake then :rolleyes:

I don't think there's one fan who sees him as being part of the team going forwards, but he's started 52 games for us and come on as sub 20 odd times. That's a lot for someone universally seen as being complete cack.

Sam picked Andrews to start over 40 times so he must be a bit slow on the uptake then :rolleyes: I don't think there's one fan who sees him as being part of the team going forwards, but he's started 52 games for us and come on as sub 20 odd times. That's a lot for someone universally seen as being complete cack.

So that is your only support, he got picked so must be OK?

I asked you in all honesty to point out his abilities, please tell me and others,that is all I ask, I will if you point out correctly his abilities with regard to tackling, heading, vision, pace, positional sense etc, return my badges to the FA as I would not deserve them!

Archived