BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Martin Olsson

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has to count as home-grown right?

As the commentator said after we have won at Anfield and become Champions.

"Blackburn Rovers - a club with a great past and a glittering future!"

He was 18 when he came here I think. He needs to have been with the club 3 years before his 21st birthday. I HOPE he was 17 and he is home-grown, but I THINK he was 18 and therefore 2 years and 8 months before his 21st b'day.....

I remember watching him in the under 21 tourament in the summer and thinking that Martin never looked this good on the ball the few times he'd got a chance in the first team. Im just happy that we have given the lad a chance. I have to say after last nights performance he looks a lot more composed than Hoilett does at present and is quite handy at picking a pass. Not sure if his defensive game is up to the standard that his attacking performance has been of late.

According to his profile on the Rovers website he signed in January 2006 which would have made him 17 at the time. So should fit the home-grown criteria.

Was very impressed last night - seems to be progressing nicely.

Ah cracking! Nothing like a shyte home-grown player come good in a new position!

• Backroom

I may be going mad but I'm sure I remember something about it, Grooby may be the man in the know

Edit according to wiki:

He has a twin brother, Marcus, who plays for Halmstads BK in Allsvenskan

86296d61acd9eba7492c4930e21dfdeb.jpg

Whatever happened to his twin brother we were going to sign, a striker if I recall

I can vaguely remember Sparky initially wanting both and then deciding to leave the other brother until the next transfer window. He mustn't have impressed in the meantime.

i think the spurs game affected him, but he was ill during it and i think people mention it far too much. he was good before that game, and at times decent afterwards, just a little short on confidence. and now he's looking very good.

definitely play him on the wing for the next few games unless something really bad happens. he has earned it. i hope we keep him sweet and he stays with us.

I may be going mad but I'm sure I remember something about it, Grooby may be the man in the know

Edit according to wiki:

He has a twin brother, Marcus, who plays for Halmstads BK in Allsvenskan

86296d61acd9eba7492c4930e21dfdeb.jpg

both came over at the same time, Martin got taken, Marcus didn't, he's back playing in Sweden.

They are identical, I saw them both together at the training ground in December, if it wasn't for Martin wearing Rovers training kit, and that Marcus was on crutches, you would have no idea who was who.

We also seem to be buying in more younger ones - Linganzi is nearly here (right?), plus a couple of others have been mentioned. Obviously a general long term strategy - Nicko said scouts were sent out with a remeit to find new young players in October.

I think Olsson is my new favourite player. Does he count as 'home grown'?

Yes he will count as home grown.

I do wonder once this comes into full effect whether these home-grown status's will hike prices further for english players?

• Backroom

both came over at the same time, Martin got taken, Marcus didn't, he's back playing in Sweden.

They are identical, I saw them both together at the training ground in December, if it wasn't for Martin wearing Rovers training kit, and that Marcus was on crutches, you would have no idea who was who.

Cheers Lee I thought he was linked but thought it was the summer after martin came.

Maybe marcus has progressed like his brother and suddenly looks a player as well :P

According to Wiki, Marcus is four inches taller though!

So you are suggesting that Academies starve full-backs wingers of protein and feed-up centre-backs- WTF?

Not quite. But simple nutrition differences can have a major difference on how you grow. Eg: drinikng 2 pints of milk a day between the ages of 10 and 20 CAN potentially lead to bone growth of an extra inch (over the 10 years). Take this in all the bones and it could be a substantial amount of growth. It works in a similar way that you have to eat more protein in orer for exercise to CONTINUALLY add mass to muscles. Either that or my Biology teacher at Alevel was telling a great fat porkie. It was in the typed notes he gave to us though and he was miserable as sin, so I had little reason to doubt it.

There you go CrazyIvan! ;):P

OF COURSE IT'S BS!!! I was thinking over childhood and then remembered that pro's are very young hahaha

Archived