BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Martin Olsson

I'm not happy he dived, but in the light of the fact that the powers that be did nothing about Gerrard and others then it would seem a bit much to do Olsson. As has been said, they need to make it plain to players in those preseason things they do that from day one of next season if you are found to have dived you will be banned for x number of games, and CARRY THE THREAT THROUGH, regardless of who the player is, what club he plays for, how much his manager whinges, how important he is to the England set up or whatever it is that seems to influence them. It would very soon stop, but unfortunately like all initiatives it relies on consistency of application and we all know you rarely get that

SPOT ON!!! Double D - See above as my response to your question :lol:

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It needs to be stamped out

I can't agree with you at all. I just don't agree with stamping. It's not in the spirit of the game. ;)

The comment made earlier about refs not giving free kicks if people don't go down is very pertinent to the diving discussion, IMHO.

The comment made earlier about refs not giving free kicks if people don't go down is very pertinent to the diving discussion, IMHO.

If they did start giving free kicks in those situations though, the game would become incredibly disjointed, in fact it would force the game to become basically non-contact.

Severely punishing all dives via video until the culture is changed is the only way to get rid of it.

Severely punishing all dives via video until the culture is changed is the only way to get rid of it.

That's what I'd do. It's very difficult for a referee to be 100% sure if it is a dive. If the player has genuinely slipped or there was some contact and the referee books the player - he looks stupid. I think this is why players often escape a dive without getting a card. If there was a serious punishment for anything proved by video to be a definite dive, then we'd see most of the diving stop. When I say a serious punishment, I mean like a 6 game ban and a hefty fine. At the end of the day, it’s blatant cheating and can cost a club millions if they are relegated as a result. Olsson on the other hand should be awarded for his dive :lol:

If they did start giving free kicks in those situations though, the game would become incredibly disjointed, in fact it would force the game to become basically non-contact.

I agree that punishing blatant dives retrospectively is a good idea.

The FA have some really daft rules that they hide behind. Like the 'can't appeal yellow cards' rule, but you can appeal a red, excexpt where it's a red as a result of 2 yellows. Why?

I don't agree that giving free kicks when there is a foul, but the player doesn't go down, would lead to the game being incredibly disjointed. Why should it be any different to now except you don't have grown men throwing themselves to the floor to 'win' the free kick? I'm not advocating any contact being a foul, just where there is a foul it gets acknowledged by the refs without the player having to fall over. I'm sure you will agree that a player can be fouled without falling over?

Not smart of Olsson to admit to it. No pros to being honest in this case and a lot of cons. We all know he dived, there was no reason to go further and explain the mentality behind the decision. Someone needs to have a word in his ear about future interviews.

No, it was very right of him to admit to it. These players are role models to a lot of kids nowadays and their every move on and off the pitch is followed by thousands if not millions of fans. I despise Gerrard for this behaviour because he is blindly followed by millions of kids and they will follow his example not just on the pitch but off it as well. Olsson has pointed out, in a very indirect way, the hypocrisy of the fact that because there is no punishment for "cheating" he can do it and get away with it. To make a very obscene comparison; murder was illegal in Germany from 1939-1945 yet 6 million Jews and others were murdered by the very authorities that maintained these laws. What are we saying here? Cheat but don't admit it? Is it cheating only when you admit to it? So Gerrard et al. are not cheats because they don't own up to it? Are Gerrard, Eduardo etc. better than Olsson because they didn't own up to diving? I don't like the fact he dived regardless of "karma" for the dissallowed goal or the hundreds of injustices we have suffered over the years. Yet he did what many other players do week in week out except he has now, hopefully, raised the question of whether there should be some change in the laws. If his dive and owning up results in the FA introducing retrospective punishments for diving that are applied EQUALLY AND FAIRLY across all teams then good on him I say. He will have done more for the good of football than years of pointless whingeing by fans to the FA, pointless Facebook petitions, Arsene Whinger type managers and so on.

I stand by the man, Rover or not, because nobody would be praising him for not going down - damned if you do and damned if you don't.

• Backroom

No, it was very right of him to admit to it. These players are role models to a lot of kids nowadays and their every move on and off the pitch is followed by thousands if not millions of fans. I despise Gerrard for this behaviour because he is blindly followed by millions of kids and they will follow his example not just on the pitch but off it as well. Olsson has pointed out, in a very indirect way, the hypocrisy of the fact that because there is no punishment for "cheating" he can do it and get away with it. To make a very obscene comparison; murder was illegal in Germany from 1939-1945 yet 6 million Jews and others were murdered by the very authorities that maintained these laws. What are we saying here? Cheat but don't admit it? Is it cheating only when you admit to it? So Gerrard et al. are not cheats because they don't own up to it? Are Gerrard, Eduardo etc. better than Olsson because they didn't own up to diving? I don't like the fact he dived regardless of "karma" for the dissallowed goal or the hundreds of injustices we have suffered over the years. Yet he did what many other players do week in week out except he has now, hopefully, raised the question of whether there should be some change in the laws. If his dive and owning up results in the FA introducing retrospective punishments for diving that are applied EQUALLY AND FAIRLY across all teams then good on him I say. He will have done more for the good of football than years of pointless whingeing by fans to the FA, pointless Facebook petitions, Arsene Whinger type managers and so on.

I stand by the man, Rover or not, because nobody would be praising him for not going down - damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Olsson's quotes won't change things. No chance.

It's entirely possible not all of the quotes from Olsson were used. Perhaps they just picked out quotes to make him look bad, and maybe he did mention earlier in whatever interview the quotes were plucked from that he regretted the dive.

Point still stands, imo, that he needs to think a little more about what he says in interviews. It's not his admittal of diving that's wrong, it's the way it has been portrayed and hence the way it's going to affect him as a player and the team in the future.

We have post match penalties over here in Australia. If you get caught diving you get an immediate red card and three game suspension.

How long has that been in place? Has it worked? We really should do it here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was going to post about this last night but I forgot...well done Martin, it's past time really! I really hope he's with us for years to come. Offers much more to the team at left wing overall than Pedersen has for years, and I'm one of those that advocated him playing there rather than left back far before it became reality. Great to see him come good!

• Backroom

Olsson's progression this year has been amazing, especially considering how poor his reputation was at the start of the season. Congrats to him for getting into the Swedish squad.

• 2 weeks later...

Netted in his debut on the national team only minutes after he come on as a sub against Bosnia. :brfcsmilie::brfcsmilie:

As mentioned in the WC thread he scored twice, wonder who the last Rovers player to score twice on International Duty was?

Looks Like it was Brett

Archived