BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Martin Olsson

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outstanding today, I think he totally showed why he should be in midfield. A goal threat everytime he gets forward. Bags of pace, direct, excellent technique, a powerful shot. Also he is a big strong lad who can compete in the air. Wasted at left back.

For my money the ideal for his is 4231 with him taking the advanced left wing role. We could also see Hoilett coming into the right hand side role in the same formation.

Well done Olsson, genuine attacking revelation which I don't think anyone really expected six months ago.

Couldn't agree more joey. He's a genuine goal threat playing left wing, and a forward 3 of Olsson, Kalinic and Junior has incredible potential. Dunn would need to get forward more, but with N'Zonzi and Grella holding we could have something very potent on our hands.

Well done Martin, you picked a good day to have your finest hour in Blue and White so far.

Couldn't agree more joey. He's a genuine goal threat playing left wing, and a forward 3 of Olsson, Kalinic and Junior has incredible potential. Dunn would need to get forward more, but with N'Zonzi and Grella holding we could have something very potent on our hands.

Well done Martin, you picked a good day to have your finest hour in Blue and White so far.

For the 4-5-1 or whatever it is to work, the lone striker needs support to get through quickly. When MGP and Diouf are on the wings, it looks bloody awful as my mother can sprint faster.

When Olsson and Junior are there, it looks a lot more effective.

Unfortunately, his weak point seems to be the same as Hoilett's: weak finishing and a lack of compsure in front of goal. Like Hoilett, however, that is something that will hopefully come with time.

Great performance today. He's been a revelation on the wing. Credit goes to Allardyce for his conversion. You can really see how Allardyce is beginning to build 'his' kind of team. Jones, N'Zonzi, Olsson, Hoilett, Kalinic all breaking through and all looking really promising as well - it's great to see.

I hope Junior works on his overall game before the beginning of next season, remember Olsson was only seen as a raw talent at the beginning of this season and now hes really starting to develop. If we get a top class midfield enforcer ie o'hara alongside dunn and nzonzi/grella shielding, our team would really have promise

Unfortunately, his weak point seems to be the same as Hoilett's: weak finishing and a lack of compsure in front of goal. Like Hoilett, however, that is something that will hopefully come with time.

Eh?

Villa CC away - possible goal of the season?

First half today, great finish, not off side.

Second half today, rasping shot that went in (probably).

And that match I forget where it was put down as an own goal.

Eh?

I also think it was in! We almost wasted this lad and now he is one of them who starts every matches.

He hit one golden opportunity straight at Jensen today and should have done better on a few occasions after getting into brilliant positions. He won us a penalty, but he probably should have taken it away from the defender and then rounded the keeper. Instead he got caught up and went over knowing he wasn't going to score.

Perhaps I should rephrase what I said. Maybe it's not so much to do with finishing. Rather, he often gets into good positions but doesn't always do well when he's in them.

Before anybody jumps on me for being overly critical, this really is a minor criticism. I think he's looking pretty good and had a great game today.

You obviously realise that you dropped a bollok there about Olsson TCJ so I'll not add anything more.

However imo Hoillett is currently an enigma. He possesses an exciting talent but his biggest weakness is his decision making when in possession. He's bags of ability but chooses to pass when he should keep it, keep it when he should pass, shoot at the wrong time etc etc. It's a rare condition, I hope SA can help him sort it.

Hoillett reminds me of Lennon several years back. Pace and not much else - just can't get Wigan away out of my mind when he was completely sussed by Melchiot. Hopefully he progresses the same as Lennon has, though.

If nothing else, his penalty against Chelsea in the CC was class.

You obviously realise that you dropped a bollok there about Olsson TCJ so I'll not add anything more.

Haha, I don't think I did. He gets into good positions, but shows something of a lack of composure when in those positions. He's young and still a raw talent, so I suppose that's to be expected. He reminds me of Hoilett in that respect as well.

In any casem we've hardly seen enough from Olsson to suggest he's clinical in front of goal.

• Backroom

Our story of the season for me this guy, it's a genuine joy to see someone many had written off already come on leaps and bounds, he is looking every inch the premiership left winger.

The lad can put some welly on a ball as well, his 2 today were good clean strikes and he had a volley against arenal from about 40 yards that was brilliant.

Him and Givet looked solid on that side today, never worried me once.

I'm pretty sure if we saw some stats showing a total shots:shots on target ratio, Olsson's would look pretty good (especially if you factor in the two ruled out goals today).

As it stands though, when you compare him to some of the other players in our team, he's probably one of our better finishers, especially considering he's a full back and would've spent less time on his shooting in training.

Eh?

There is less pressure in the early rounds of the CC.

And Burnley also stopped playing when they saw the flag go up.

It didn't, the WHOLE ball has to be over the line. Ergo from the side view you should see the whole sphere past the posts, only slighly more than half the ball was over at most.

It was an own goal.

• Backroom

Significantly more than half the ball was over the line, when it hit the bar it was more than half over due to the goals leaning back.

Still wasn't 100% over probably though

Significantly more than half the ball was over the line, when it hit the bar it was more than half over due to the goals leaning back.

Still wasn't 100% over probably though

Absolutely identical "goal" was given immediately in the Leicester v Coventry game last week and attracted no comment.

Our story of the season for me this guy, it's a genuine joy to see someone many had written off already come on leaps and bounds, he is looking every inch the premiership left winger.

The lad can put some welly on a ball as well, his 2 today were good clean strikes and he had a volley against arenal from about 40 yards that was brilliant.

Him and Givet looked solid on that side today, never worried me once.

Dont forget the importance of Morten Pedersen just inside complimenting them.

Having watched it again (and again) I can see why the ref gave the penalty and it has little or nothing to do with Jensen. I think the ref saw the Dingle defender clip Olsson's heal and tripped him. He certainly went down after that.

In that case how did the defender not get a red card?

The only explanation for the lack of a sending off is the ref thought the foul was committed by Jensen.

I can only assume he considered it to not be a deliberate foul and denial of a clear goal-scoring opportunity and decided a penalty was enough of a punishment. I have to say that, had Olsson stayed on his feet, he would have slotted that ball home because he was pretty much clear and free...

Archived