BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Martin Olsson

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin is selected for the Swedish squad that will face Scotland next week.

Right now it's the best squad we(Sweden) have, so it will surely give him even more self-confidence.

cracking news

i really hope he makes it

he deserves it

• 3 weeks later...

Not named in the latest Swedish squad. Partly because only 19 players were named. The manager commented specifically on Olsson as well, saying that as he wasn't going to start, it'd be more beneficial for him to play a full game for the U21 team rather than sit on the bench for the seniors. He's definitely in and around the squad, and would most likely be named in a 23 man squad if one was named.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking recently whether it might be worth moving Olsson back to defence. If Diouf continues to play on the left, it would be a waste of Olsson's ability sat on the bench. Givet does a job at left-back, but we all know he's out of position and struggles against pace. It's been two years since Olsson was destroyed by Aaron Lennon, and he's made strides since then. If he could become a decent left-back, it'd be one less position to worry about.

Why is he sticking with the same failed team?

He needs to go with the youth and pick Martin, forget the ones that have previously failed. (I believe this is commonly accepted as how to run a national team).

Commonly accepted it may be but what's the betting England turn out pretty much the same team as have failed before (barring injuries and retirements) and I've just heard that the French are expected to pick most of those who were banned for their world cup antics (again barring injuries and those who are not allowed to play)

Commonly accepted it may be but what's the betting England turn out pretty much the same team as have failed before (barring injuries and retirements) and I've just heard that the French are expected to pick most of those who were banned for their world cup antics (again barring injuries and those who are not allowed to play)

That's because they're the best players in their respective countries.

Yes, you shouldn't pick the best players and try and shoehorn them into a system (a la our repeated failures with Lampard and Gerrard), but also you can't just dump most of your most talented players just because they've failed as part of a team.

That's because they're the best players in their respective countries.

Yes, you shouldn't pick the best players and try and shoehorn them into a system (a la our repeated failures with Lampard and Gerrard), but also you can't just dump most of your most talented players just because they've failed as part of a team.

WASn't suggesting you could - Bucky was. Although for the record I think the French could in that theirs is not a failure it's easy to get over - it's a total meltdown

I'd rather we just played him left wing. Another good season in an attacking position and his value will rocket.

And if El-Hadji continues to do well there? I'd prefer developing Olsson into a full-back instead of wasting him on the bench.

Olsson was nothing special until the second half of last season when he burst into the team in spectacular fashion and looked like our answer to Gareth Bale. This season, admittedly only on the evidence of a couple of matches he appears to have regressed to the former.

I thought you should all know I was joking. Everyone is incredulous about England not picking youth and sticking with the old guard, I thought I would say the same about Sweden, even though I have no idea who is ahead of Martin in the side, or if they have underperformed.

• 5 weeks later...

I might be called out for this, but I'd like to see Olsson & Hoilett starting in future. If there's one thing we lack, it's the ability or willingness to get behind defenders. Diouf has shown a reform in recent weeks, but he isn't the quickest and tends to dwell on the ball at times.

The only way young fringe players like Olsson & Hoilett will make it is if they're given the chance. Aaron Lennon frustrated the hell out of Spurs fans (and many of our own scoffed at him replacing Bentley), but he was given the time and patience to develop his game. I don't think sitting on the bench or going on loan to the lower leagues will benefit either of our two players. At home, we should be looking to get these two out wide and attack their man at every opportunity. Hoilett has the pace, and yet appears to play in first gear. Whether it's a lack of confidence, or the manager holding him back, who knows. However, the confidence will come if he's granted a consistent run in the side.

Hoilett has the pace, and yet appears to play in first gear. Whether it's a lack of confidence, or the manager holding him back, who knows. However, the confidence will come if he's granted a consistent run in the side.

Whats holding him back is a lack of talent. He is fast but has no composure, first touch or football brain. I know he is only young but he is miles off the quality needed to start in the league.

Whats holding him back is a lack of talent. He is fast but has no composure, first touch or football brain. I know he is only young but he is miles off the quality needed to start in the league.

And that will change warming the bench or playing the odd few minutes here and there? I'm not saying he WILL make it, but he needs a sustained run in the team to work on his game and prove himself.

And that will change warming the bench or playing the odd few minutes here and there? I'm not saying he WILL make it, but he needs a sustained run in the team to work on his game and prove himself.

It wont change, you are right. But we cant afford to carry anymore players in the starting 11. He would be behind Gamst/Emerton/Olsson and Diouf in my book.

I would love him to turn out to be class but I jsut cant see it. He isnt training with good enough players for their talent to rub off on him osmosis like, like Walcott at Arsenal for example(not that he is the finished article either)

• 6 months later...

Please someone tell Kean he's a winger and not a full back. He didn't bomb on as much as normal yesterday, birmingham for me nullified him yesterday and kept him pinned back.

I really think having Olsson and Junior working our flanks gives us a good creative threat. Olsson always makes something happen and his crossing is alright he was fantastic in the wide role this time last year. I'd really like to see him moved back up there and swiftly especially for the games we can get something from like Wolves, Everton, Bolton and West Ham.

Please someone tell Kean he's a winger and not a full back. He didn't bomb on as much as normal yesterday, birmingham for me nullified him yesterday and kept him pinned back.

I really think having Olsson and Junior working our flanks gives us a good creative threat. Olsson always makes something happen and his crossing is alright he was fantastic in the wide role this time last year. I'd really like to see him moved back up there and swiftly especially for the games we can get something from like Wolves, Everton, Bolton and West Ham.

Totally totally agree.

He has an eye for goal too. He may score a few more on the flank.

I love it how ages ago I posted on here that I thought Olsson would be better as a winger & I got ridiculed by most... Funny how things change isn't it??? :D

He's a better winger that a fullback, but he's getting stronger at fullback all the time. Remember a season or so ago when Aaron Lennon ripped him apart at Spurs? I'd like to see that battle again, because I don't think Lennon would do as well as he did then.

You can learn how to defend & become better at it the more experience you get through playing matches. You can clearly see that he is improving there. I still prefer him further forward, but I think there's a time and a place to play him there, like against Tony Hibbert this weekend, as he has no pace at all!!!

If I have one criticism, allbeit a small one, I think he needs to learn how to cross the ball better, unlike our older players that play in those positions, at least he tries to whip them in & sometimes he gets it right, but his crossing needs to be more consistent. You never know, maybe Roque will start scoring if we can put the ball on his head a bit more???

I love it how ages ago I posted on here that I thought Olsson would be better as a winger & I got ridiculed by most... Funny how things change isn't it??? :D

He's a better winger that a fullback, but he's getting stronger at fullback all the time. Remember a season or so ago when Aaron Lennon ripped him apart at Spurs? I'd like to see that battle again, because I don't think Lennon would do as well as he did then.

You can learn how to defend & become better at it the more experience you get through playing matches. You can clearly see that he is improving there. I still prefer him further forward, but I think there's a time and a place to play him there, like against Tony Hibbert this weekend, as he has no pace at all!!!

If I have one criticism, allbeit a small one, I think he needs to learn how to cross the ball better, unlike our older players that play in those positions, at least he tries to whip them in & sometimes he gets it right, but his crossing needs to be more consistent. You never know, maybe Roque will start scoring if we can put the ball on his head a bit more???

Dont be so bloody smug!!

Archived