BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Plane To Sa

It's getting closer to that time so I thought it might be a good idea to make a separate topic from the general World Cup thread to discuss who we'd put on the plane.

Squad size is, I believe, 23.

I would go with:

Hart, Robinson, Green

Johnson, Ashley Cole (if not fit, Warnock), Bridge, Terry, Ferdinand, Lescott, Richards

Barry, Lampard, Beckham, Gerrard, Joe Cole, Milner, Lennon, Wright-Phillips

Crouch, Rooney, Zamora (or Heskey), Agbonlahor, Defoe.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's getting closer to that time so I thought it might be a good idea to make a separate topic from the general World Cup thread to discuss who we'd put on the plane.

I would go with:

Hart, Robinson, Green

Johnson, Ashley Cole (if not fit, Warnock), Bridge, Terry, Ferdinand, Lescott, Richards

I'd go with that, but Lennon and SWP are too similar for me. I'd have Downing, A. Johnson or Young instead of Lennon. SWP has played better overall than Lennon imo, and we need more cover at LM seeing as Barry is often a CM and that would just leave J. Cole.

I would go with:

Hart, Robinson, Green

Good call but definitely no Robinson, hes bobbins it has to be James instead. Wouldnt take Bridge think hes bobbins aswell as Lescott.

Midfielders look Ok.

As for the forwards it would have to be Carlton Cole over Heskey and Zamora.

Wouldnt take SWP, Defoe or Lescott - not international class and never do it on that top stage.

I agree to an extent (the extent being they aren't international class) but I don't think any nation has 23 international class players, so I think you have to make the rest of the squad up from the most inform 'best of the rest.'

Okay...assuming everyone is fit (except Hargreaves as it seems he has no chance, he'd be in otherwise).

James; Green; Hart

Johnson; Neville; Terry; Ferdinand; Lescott; Upson; A. Cole

Lennon; Walcott; Gerrard; Lampard; Barry; Beckham; Carrick; J. Cole; Milner

Rooney; Defoe; Crouch; Heskey

With a starting eleven in mind of...

................... James

Johnson Ferdinand Terry A. Cole

.......... Lampard .. Barry

.. Walcott ... Gerrard ... J.Cole

.................. Rooney

We need to play Rooney in the position he's been playing in for Man Utd these last few months, and that's been as a lone striker with a supporting five man midfield.

Debatable candidates in bold.

Hart, Robinson, Green: Id stick with Robbo as 3rd choice. He's had time with England and wouldnt be daunted if he was thrown in. James is past it.

Johnson, Ashley Cole (or Warnock), Upson, Terry, Ferdinand, Lescott, Baines : Dont trust Richards, Baines is solid for Everton and should be ahead of Bridge. Upson as cover at CB.

Barry, Lampard, Carrick, Gerrard, Joe Cole, Milner, Lennon, Wright-Phillips : Carrick deserves his place ahead of Beckham.

Crouch, Rooney, Bent/Heskey(depending on fitness), Walcott, Defoe : You cannot leave Defoe out although I dont think he's ever done much internationally. Bent has kept Sunderland afloat this season and would do more then Zamora could

Other candidates: James, Richards, Agbonlahor, A.Young, Zamora, Wes Brown, Ryan Shawcross.

What about Darren Bent? Not got a mention :unsure:

Thought about him but I just can't justify it. Rooney is the main man, Defoe is the impact guy from the bench, Crouch is when you want to throw the kitchen sink and Heskey makes a good foil for Rooney if we need a plan B (or if we're protecting a lead and want a hard working forward).

Certain unless injured

Hart, James, Green. I think Robbo has a chance if he's on top form for the rest of the season. Personally I'd take him over James and Green but I think Hart should be the number 1.

Johnson, Ashley Cole, Terry, Ferdinand. Warnock or Bridge will go as cover and one of Richards or Brown. The other selection headache will be between Upson and Lescott with Woodgate an outsider if he can get fit.

Barry, Lampard, Beckham, Gerrard, Milner. Then 4 places up for grabs between Joe Cole, Wallcott, Wright Phillips, Carrick, A. Young, Lennon and maybe Dunny if he can get fit and keep the goal scoring going.

Crouch, Rooney, Heskey, Defoe. Cappello will only take 4 strikers if he is playing the usual 1 up front.

So Probable imo

Hart, Robbo, James

Johnson, Ashley Cole, Terry, Ferdinand, Warnock, Richards and Lescott.

Barry, Lampard, Beckham, Gerrard, Milner, Joe Cole, Carrick, Lennon and Wallcott.

Crouch, Rooney, Heskey, Defoe.

Interesting topic, like everyone Im going to make the probably unrealistic assumption that everyone is fit, I'd go for the following.

Keepers

James, Hart, Robinson

Defenders

G.Johnson, Terry, Ferdinand, Upson, Shawcross, A.Cole, Baines.

Midfielders

Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Barry, Lennon, J.Cole, Milner, Huddlestone, A.Johnson.

Strikers

Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, C.Cole.

With the following starting line-up:

James

G.Johnson, Ferdinand, Terry, A.Cole

Lennon, Milner, Lampard, Gerrard

Rooney, Defoe

Interesting debate about players. For me Rooney, Gerrard, J Cole (if fit), Barry, A. Cole, Terry, Ferdinand, Defoe are all shoo ins (Defoe makes it into that category because of his exceptional domestic form). You could argue Lampard sneaks in due to experience at the top level. Johnsons is a guaranteed pick because of lack of competition.

After that there are literally billions of players who are all good but not really head and shoulders above anyone else. For that lot it will come down to form.

Virtually impossible to choose between Milner, Young, Walcott, Ablanghore, Dowining, Wright Phillips, Lennon etc etc. All good but not brilliant.

Concur that we will probably end up going 4231 at the tournament. Rooney has really matured into that lone striker role, and with Gerrard and Joe Cole supporting, plus one of the above, we will have a very able set of attacking players.

Barry and Lampard will get the holding roles I think. Lampard has looked good playing a bit deeper.

Keeping options are dire.

Probs XI for me:-

---------------Rooney

J. Cole-------Gerrard-----Wright-Phillips?

---------Barry-------Lampard

A Cole---Terry-----Ferdinand---Johnson

----------------James

It is a pretty settled side apart from the right wing.

A couple of injuries though and we are all over the place. No Rooney and we are buggered, also J Cole will make a massive difference if available.

Archived