BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England

Very pleased to see Davies getting his chance. He's getting on unfortunately but he's strong and his game was never based on speed. In my day I would have loved to play just behind him. Nice too to see players from 'lesser' clubs being called up. Players of the 'right stuff' with the right attitude and desire have been ignored for too long in favour of big club playboys for fear of upsetting the press,media and all important sponsors.

If Capello has finally learned his lesson I may have to reconsider my rather low opinion of him as a manager of our national team.

I put Davies forward for England when SGE was in charge and got roundly ridiculed by some of our members with less knowledge of football matters and more knowledge of Championship manager. Truth is that for years England have been almost spoilt for choice in the inside forward / attacking midfield role. Rooney, Joe Cole and even the lesser talents of Lampard and Gerrard are at their best 'coming on' to balls played back to them on the edge of the box. In fact their club tactics are fashioned precisiely to exploit this. Kevin Davies is the best Englishman there is in playing with his back to goal and doing just that. I've a feeling that if he'd been with one of the old big 4 clubs he'd have been selected as a matter of course. Like Peter Crouch he is a grafter and not particularly eye candy on the pitch and as with Crouch his reputation has suffered as a result.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Kevin Davies came on for England, what better example is there that shows English football under the stewardship of the FA has gone backwards over the past ten years or so. If Steven Gerard wasnt playing for England how bad would we be really looking.

Rooney, Barry, Gerrard and G Johnson were poor.

Ashley Cole's first touch is atrocious.

First half was like watching paint dry. Second half was better. But most of the free kicks were badly taken; and these are supposedly international class players :blink:

Still it's not the end of the world for England.

10/10 for Young's dive.

Did you hear Andy Townsend say 'he's seen penalties given' :lol: but said that Montenegro player dived when Gerrard clearly tripped him. I couldn't take anything they said about the "deliberate" handball seriously.

well Montenegro's draw puts us (Bulgaria) 100% out of 2nd place...there's no way we can catch them now. But when our players allowed the first two results, no revival is going to help at this stage.

Though again England can't break down a team that sits back and allows them to come at them. A. Johnson was lively, and it wasn't a terrible performance...there just wasn't anyone good enough to find a breakthrough. I don't know. I think Gerrard and Lampard need to play directly behind the forwards. The attacking power must be increased to the extreme. But then the defense is quite poor and probably can't handle being left so bare...there is great imbalance in the team, that much is for sure.

When Kevin Davies came on for England, what better example is there that shows English football under the stewardship of the FA has gone backwards over the past ten years or so. If Steven Gerard wasnt playing for England how bad would we be really looking.

######, take off your rose tinted glasses.

He did more good things in 15min then Crouch did for the rest.

Barry produced one of the worst england performances ive ever seen. He was awful.

Archived