BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England

• Backroom

Forgot England were even playing tonight, shows how much interest I have after the shambles in summer.

Maybe I'll watch the Euro's when they roll round but qualifiers do nothing for me when 90% of the games should be walkovers anyway

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone else watch the last 10 minutes of the Scotland game? Wow!

Yeah when Barry Robson wasted that freekick with 30 seconds left to go, I thought that was them dead and buried. In a way Scotland were thankful that Hutton recieved that nasty challenge causing the added lengthy injury time otherwise they would have had egg on their faces.

Another win, one step closer to qualification.

Observations on last night performances:

1: Defoe, exposed his lack of control and awareness. Explosively fast though!

2: Gerrard, took to the chorus line as Rooney dropped deeper to take the lead. Is this what you want for SteveG in an England shirt?

3: Heart, fell apart with the look of panic in his eyes. That boy has issues.

4: SWP, not a team player.

5: Bent, anyone reckon he meant to pick the corner of the net for his shot? Other than that, he looked lost.

6: Glen J, sails too close to the wind.

7: Adam J, improving. Down to his team mates to keep his confidence up.

OverAll allot better than Friday night, where we flattered to deceive.

It's where they both play for their clubs.

Milner has only just started playing there though, he never played there for Villa.

If Mancini continues to play him there then it'll ruin his career. He's got everything you want in a box-to-box central midfielder, but he's very limited as a left winger.

Another win, one step closer to qualification.

Observations on last night performances:

1: Defoe, exposed his lack of control and awareness. Explosively fast though!

2: Gerrard, took to the chorus line as Rooney dropped deeper to take the lead. Is this what you want for SteveG in an England shirt?

3: Heart, fell apart with the look of panic in his eyes. That boy has issues.

4: SWP, not a team player.

5: Bent, anyone reckon he meant to pick the corner of the net for his shot? Other than that, he looked lost.

6: Glen J, sails too close to the wind.

7: Adam J, improving. Down to his team mates to keep his confidence up.

OverAll allot better than Friday night, where we flattered to deceive.

Goto specssaver because most of that is a confusing to say the least...

1. Defoe on another night could have had 2/3, he didnt get the rub of the green with how the ball ran.

2. Makes no sense at all

3. Hart had abit of a fumble, bar that nothing. His error didnt cost us a goal... He will be englands keeper for years to come.

4. Your right on SWP he is not a team player, he has barely been premiership quality since back at city.

5. Bent, yes he did, you can tell with how he struck the ball.

6. Partly agree, his is a tosh right back.

7. Improving? He was quality last night and has been since he got in the england setup, the lad has no problem with confidence.

Hart did have a James-esque 5 minute spell. Dropped the ball then had a miskick on a clearance and a poor punch. He did seem to panic after making an initial error. To be fair to the lad it's the first mistake I've ever really seen him make.

The difference between Hart and our previous goalkeepers are the following:

Hart was beaten by a quality goal, the others tend to get beaten by a soft shot.

Hart made mistakes but didn't concede, our other keepers made mistakes and we conceded.

Hart is in form. The other keepers were not.

He has played three games for England. I believe he will hold the jersey for many years, but I think it's a bit stupid to declare that he doesn't have the capacity to make mistakes. He was sent off in the semi-final of the U21 tournament. Are you implying that Capello should have dropped the two keepers that got us through qualifying and thrown a young debutant (who wasn't good enough for City last season) into a world cup? It seems like it would have been a good idea with hindsight, but not if you live in the real world. Green got pilloried for his mistake in the WC, imagine if it had been Hart on his debut. I don't think he would number 1 at the moment if that had happened.

I think most people are judging him on last seasons sensational performances for Birmingham as well as his England appearances and this seasons form. We saw last night that he can make mistakes but it never cost us a goal. We've seen so many times in the past that we get punished for mistakes made by keepers or the defence.

Of course it's early in his career but so far so good :)

The difference between Hart and our previous goalkeepers are the following:

Hart was beaten by a quality goal, the others tend to get beaten by a soft shot.

Hart made mistakes but didn't concede, our other keepers made mistakes and we conceded.

Hart is in form. The other keepers were not.

I disagree. This is being way too forgiving. The different isn't simply that Hart is a good goalkeeper, while Green and James were inadequate. The different is that Hart is a good goalkeeper, while only an absolute moron could possibly even consider playing those wastes of space Green and James ahead of him. The gap in quality is that severe. Capello is paid 4 million a year to make these decisions. He got it wrong. He got it wrong when even a mental patient could see it was wrong.

£6m.

You lost all logic some time ago, so I will refrain from arguing with you.

What I will say, is that he has played one full Premiership season, you obviously think that's enough to drop Green/James who hadn't really made any mistakes in our good qualifying campaign. Some managers find that continuity breeds success, and this ethos hasn't really done Capello too much harm in his career.

Richard Wright was hailed the future England goalkeeper after a good season with a newly promoted side. You cannot judge a goalkeeper after one season, only with hindsight.

Remember last season wasn't Hart's first run in the first team. He was the keeper for Man City the year before they signed Given too and he was already an established U21 player as well.

I agree that Capello chose Green due to him being the number 1 in the qualifiers and it's hard to argue against his decision but even before the World Cup a lot was said about the England goalkeepers and a lot of fans, media etc were suggesting that Hart should have got more time in the friendly matches so he would have had a lot more experience.

Green was poor last season, I think it's well documented that he made a lot of errors for WHU and David James wasn't in form either and struggled with injuries throughout the latter stages of the season. Capello always said he would base a lot of his picks on form and Joe Hart was in superb form all season for a team who wasn't expected to do so well. He had a lot of opportunities to play him but decided against it.

I do feel sorry for Green though. He's been kicked to the curb and has been offered no support at all by the management team which considered him their number 1 keeper. They have been a disgrace especially when they called up Frank Fielding and the other lower league keeper. They had the perfect opportunity to bring Green back into the squad. How can they consider him their number 1 a few months earlier and then push him down to number 5/6/7 (or whatever they've decided he is). The same can be said for the treatment of Robinson (after Croatia/Ukraine) and Carson (again after Croatia) under previous management teams. No wonder players feel over pressured playing for England when it should be their greatest honour.

even though i agree, defensively, johnson is a poor player, you cant argue attacking wise there are few better right backs in the world than him. With ashley cole on the other side, we finally have 2 fullbacks who are comfortable in possesion, they remind me of roberto carlos and cafu for brazil. I would much rather have two technically gifted fullbacks than what we had 10 years ago, in the neville brothers, 2 cloggers who hump the ball upfield at the first opportunity. That being said i still rated g neville as a very good fullback.

Archived