BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England

England squad announced for the 2 Euro qualifiers

Scott Carson, Ben Foster, Joe Hart

Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Kieran Gibbs, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Joleon Lescott, Matthew Upson

Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Steven Gerrard, Adam Johnson, James Milner, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Ashley Young

Darren Bent, Carlton Cole, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney

No John Terry or Frank Lampard due to injury, Scott Carson returns to the squad, strange that Crouch and Defoe are supposed to be injured yet named in the squad.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Kieran Gibbs, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Joleon Lescott, Matthew Upson

Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Steven Gerrard, Adam Johnson, James Milner, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Ashley Young

No John Terry or Frank Lampard due to injury, Scott Carson returns to the squad, strange that Crouch and Defoe are supposed to be injured yet named in the squad.

Team for me out of that lot, with an eye on 2012:-

-------------------Rooney

A Johnson-----Gerrard-------Walcott

-------------Barry--------Milner

A Cole-----Cahill----Jagielka----G Johnson

---------------------Hart

Amazing how thin our defence looks at the moment. If I was Jones I would be looking at that and thinking 2012 is a possibility. As good as Dawson, Jagielka etc. Terry and Ferdinand seem like the will struggle to stay fit. Also Barry needs to improve from his World Cup showing. We are so dependent on him in the deeper role, and he went from excellent to very average last season.

I don't want to see 442, it did us no favours in the WC.

Didn't Hughes want to bring Huddlestone here? God, how we could do with a player of his ilk...

Souness went after him too I think.

Good player but looks for the Hollywood passes to the wings too often when a simple through pass would cause more damage

No Joe Cole. There can only be some bad blood between Capello and Cole. Doesn't look like he'll figure again until Capello goes.

Maybe he just doesn't rate him?

I have seen him play for Liverpool a few times this season and he hasn't done anything of note (apart from getting sent off).

I think, if his form picks up and he starts doing well for Liverpool, he will pick him again.

That squad looks desperately short on quality.

No decent keeper, no decent centre backs, and if you take Rooney out of the equation arguably no international class forwards either.

That squad looks desperately short on quality.

No decent keeper, no decent centre backs, and if you take Rooney out of the equation arguably no international class forwards either.

We are in a downward spiral of half-hearted, half-ratedness. Steadily declining since 96.

Golden generation is as real as the Golden Ass, and just as foolishly venerated.

We are in a downward spiral of half-hearted, half-ratedness. Steadily declining since 96.

Golden generation is as real as the Golden Ass, and just as foolishly venerated.

The "Golden generation" turned out to be a rather mucky shade of brass on the world stage but what's coming up behind? Not much looking at that squad.

Looks like the influx of foreigners in the Prem is starting to bite.

The "Golden generation" turned out to be a rather mucky shade of brass on the world stage but what's coming up behind? Not much looking at that squad.

Looks like the influx of foreigners in the Prem is starting to bite.

Yes those foreigners are certainly biting the Golden Ass.

Quantity vs. Quality used to be a good match, but in the nuclear world mutual destruction is inevitable.

I have seen him play for Liverpool a few times this season and he hasn't done anything of note (apart from getting sent off).

How many of our midfield ever do anything of note other than Milner who will likely go off the boil now that he is at Man City?

England should win tomorrow...as a Bulgarian I'm hoping that's not the case, but it's at Wembley and I'm guessing Walcott will start - he's the one I'm fearing the most. I think without Berbatov we will improve though and give England a game, if not at Wembley than at least at the return game. He is a massive dead weight off our shoulders.

Its been two years since the last HOME shirt came out

Every year a new England shirt comes out, one year home, one year away. They always last for two seaosns though

Just noticed that Upson is playing. Capello is a ###### idiot

The away shirt was launched this year on the 3rd March.

And probably a 4-4-2, with no Adam Johnson or even Ashley Young out wide.

Call us demanding, but Mediawatch expects it is a fairly basic requirement of being a journalist to actually pay attention at press conferences.

It's slightly surprising to report that The Daily Mail were the only national paper to report that Capello - admittedly in slightly confusing fashion - said:

"I think Steven Gerrard will play in central midfield...Barry and Milner will play in front of the two centre backs. After that we will decide the wings. I also have to decide the other forward.

"Rooney will play with Defoe. Against Bulgaria we will play one forward when they have the ball and, when we go forward, we'll have more."

Doesn't particularly sound like the 'same old, same old' 4-4-2 to us.

Football365

Archived