BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England

• Backroom

Yep

I think I'm just bitter about Rooney being an automatic choice when he was poor at best in the WC, then he comes out and doesnt sing the anthem to rub it in.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent stop from Hart, although straight at him, from a one on one at a tight angle.

Even better save by their keeper

England win 2-1.

Better second half and some good goals by our captain.

Think the players got off lightly from the fans and Rooney is still a giant knob.

I thought that was a pretty poor performance by England, especially in the first half.

They still want to play at 100 mph. They don't keep their formation. They don't move for each other and try to play as a team.

However.........in the second half, when young fresh men were introduced, there was a glimmer of hope.

We need to keep playing the new faces and encourage them to play AS A TEAM; like the Germans have done.

OK two good goals by Gerrard. Where were those type of goals in South Africa?

The old school failed players need to be swept aside for the young ones. And I don't mean Cliff Richard or Rik Mayall!

Well he bloody well should

Why? Why should anyone have to sing the national anthem?

Back in the forties and fifties the national anthem was played regularly at theatres and cinemas and everyone stood to attention. No-one sang.

My point is it's correct behaviour to stand to attention or to sing the words when the national anthem is played.

It's his choice, we dont live in North Korea. The anthem England use is dire, if you are not a monarchist it means nothing to you.

You'd have been hung drawn and quartered for that comment not too long ago with your head on a spike over traitors gate. Truth is that whatever the word's whatever the connotations it is the only national anthem that we have.

Why? Why should anyone have to sing the national anthem?

Back in the forties and fifties the national anthem was played regularly at theatres and cinemas and everyone stood to attention. No-one sang.

My point is it's correct behaviour to stand to attention or to sing the words when the national anthem is played.

I think you should sing the national anthem when representing your country (if it has words). There are times when it is played and no one sings (the Olympics being an example), which is fine, but when the vast majority are singing the athletes should sing as well (apart from when you can see that they are simply too nervous or emotional).

As for the national anthem meaning nothing...the words may not mean a great deal to those who aren't monarchists, but it really isn't about the words. It's a great anthem when everyone is singing it.

Was Lampard even playing?

He wasn't when Gerrard showed what he can do. Why those two have played in the same England team since the WC 2002 beggars belief. They are in fact the same player and playing them together simply unbalances the entire team. Successive England Managers have been bloody thick not to have seen it.

You'd have been hung drawn and quartered for that comment not too long ago with your head on a spike over traitors gate. Truth is that whatever the word's whatever the connotations it is the only national anthem that we have.

As it's the national antherm of the UK and only the de facto English anthem that is not true.

• Moderation Lead

All citizens must obey

Lampard is a good player. He plays a different role for England. There is not a single manager in world football who would drop Lampard. Never

Nobody said Lampard wasn't a good player but has he played as well for England as Chelsea?

Didn't think so. You have to pick one or the other (Lampard or Gerrard) for England and frankly- I think based on last night's showing at least the decision is a no-brainer!

Some of the younger players were promising and that is a good sign. However, this is one match against Hungary- let's not get carried away. I personally think Dawson isn't good enough, give Zamora one more game as he acquitted himself well IMO last night.

Rooney needs to have several words with himself!

• Moderation Lead

No you don't have to pick one or the other. You just have to accept that he won't play as well as he does for Chelsea, something that the majority of the public cannot grasp.

Who would you play instead? Cattermole?

Ha

Cattermole- behave! But, based on last night- do you think he had a good game/merited a starting berth?

I personally think the system worked well last night- Gerrard proving that he was wasted on the left, especially given Adam Johnson was a natural replacement and an out and out winger!

I'm glad Ashley Young was given another chance as he'd been overlooked, especially given SWP's hypocritical inclusion in the WC squad.

• Moderation Lead

I'd probably be tempted to punt for Huddlestone. Seems to fit with the manager's seeming focus on youth, so I'd assume the more likely pick. Technically brilliant and got a good shot on him.

Parker- good player, but big fish in a little pond syndrome methinks.

Archived