BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England

You serious?!

Lampard was good vs Germany but flattered to decieve in the rest of the World Cup and was terrible in '06.

Cole often plays well even when England play badly.

...unless you mean consistently bad :lol:

Yep, I meant consistently bad.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rubbish.

Lampard has been FAR more consitent, IMHO.

You serious?!

Lampard was good vs Germany but flattered to decieve in the rest of the World Cup and was terrible in '06.

Cole often plays well even when England play badly.

...unless you mean consistently bad :lol:

:lol:

I think Frank Lampard gets a lot of undeserved criticism for England but he's never produced his Chelsea form for England on a consistent basis. We've not missed him today and we've got players who can come in for him if needed. If Ashley Cole got injured then I think we would be a much weaker team both in defence and going forward. A vital player for England.

BTW, I bet Fabio is cursing his decision not to play Joe Hart in the World Cup. He's been in great form for the last year.

Hang on... I thought we didn't sign Popov because of his work permit? But now JW says it's because we had to offload Roberts first?

If that's correct we are looking pretty stupid right now.

(I appreciate that we are skint, but Popov's looking pretty good and worth way more than £1.5 mill, almost instantly)

We didnt try for a work permit because we had 4 strikers, according to the LET. As JW also states today we have some of the Benni money left, it looks like we just decided to not go for him.

Obviously my view of him is based on one game against a defence that hasnt played together before, but he looks like the type of player who can fill the role Dunny plays when fit.

:lol:

I think Frank Lampard gets a lot of undeserved criticism for England but he's never produced his Chelsea form for England on a consistent basis. We've not missed him today and we've got players who can come in for him if needed. If Ashley Cole got injured then I think we would be a much weaker team both in defence and going forward. A vital player for England.

BTW, I bet Fabio is cursing his decision not to play Joe Hart in the World Cup. He's been in great form for the last year.

You're not seriously thinking that I thought that Fat Frank was better than anyone in the England team over the last five years, were you? I want to make completely sure. I do not want anyone to think that I'm a Fat Frank apologist of some sort!

Hart should have played every game in the World Cup. He was clearly the best GK for the job, IMHO.

We didnt try for a work permit because we had 4 strikers, according to the LET. As JW also states today we have some of the Benni money left, it looks like we just decided to not go for him.

Well then, aren't we stupid.

• Backroom

That's just the norm with Rooney Ricky, if someone crosses and he scores he gets most the praise for the header, if he crossed for someone else to score people wax lyrical about the cross.

I dont see why Adam Johnson and Ashley Young are not over the likes of Milner, whos not a winger, more of a central midfielder id say and Walcott who has no footballing brain and cant play winger in a 4-4-2. I hope Gerrard isnt shifted out wide when Lampard back either, just look at spain who instead of trying to stuff Fabregas in the team at any cost, play a system that works and thus have won 2 consecutive tournaments.

I can't seem to get excited about England any more. I'm watching it relatively dispassionately and think Barry has been pretty crap, Milner good, Hart superb and Defoe typically Defoe. Defoe's third was a superb finish though. That's about it.

I dont see why Adam Johnson and Ashley Young are not over the likes of Milner, whos not a winger, more of a central midfielder id say and Walcott who has no footballing brain and cant play winger in a 4-4-2. I hope Gerrard isnt shifted out wide when Lampard back either, just look at spain who instead of trying to stuff Fabregas in the team at any cost, play a system that works and thus have won 2 consecutive tournaments.

I don't know why you are posting this here. You need to make sure Fabio Capello hears your advice and takes it on board. Your country needs you.

I don't know why you are posting this here. You need to make sure Fabio Capello hears your advice and takes it on board. Your country needs you.

No need for your post, Bucky, surely?

He's expressing an opinion about England in the England thread.

Its not hard to beat the likes of Bulgaria and even worse teams in qualification. Capellos tactics were shown up at the World Cup, where it matters. And despite your sarcastic attitude, your ignoring that Adam Johnson scored, and we weren't playing Gerrard out of position but im sure we will once Lampard returns.

Players like Barry will be (and were v Germany) shown up against bigger nations. Milner kept running down blind alleys, Barry was sloppy again but it would take something out of the ordinary for us to be beaten by a team v Bulgaria at home when we have Champions League quality players. If we went with a midfield of Walcott - Barry - Lampard - Gerrard against a major nation i wouldnt feel confident, and often we dont improve until we bring on some fresh players in the second half.

The key to Spains success for example is getting the best out of players like Xavi, Iniesta and Villa; they play players like Busquets instead of Fabregas in order to play their best players in their best positions. We have the mentality of sticking as many 'good' players in as possible without thinking of the balance of the team. Capello obviously sees Milner as better than A.Johnson or A.Young so sticks him in an awkward position on the left, he puts Gerrard there when Lampards fit. It would take a real idiot to not be able to qualify v teams like Montenegro and Bulgaria, its against big teams that we come a cropper.

Its not hard to beat the likes of Bulgaria and even worse teams in qualification. Capellos tactics were shown up at the World Cup, where it matters. And despite your sarcastic attitude, your ignoring that Adam Johnson scored, and we weren't playing Gerrard out of position but im sure we will once Lampard returns.

Players like Barry will be (and were v Germany) shown up against bigger nations. Milner kept running down blind alleys, Barry was sloppy again but it would take something out of the ordinary for us to be beaten by a team v Bulgaria at home when we have Champions League quality players. If we went with a midfield of Walcott - Barry - Lampard - Gerrard against a major nation i wouldnt feel confident, and often we dont improve until we bring on some fresh players in the second half.

The key to Spains success for example is getting the best out of players like Xavi, Iniesta and Villa; they play players like Busquets instead of Fabregas in order to play their best players in their best positions. We have the mentality of sticking as many 'good' players in as possible without thinking of the balance of the team. Capello obviously sees Milner as better than A.Johnson or A.Young so sticks him in an awkward position on the left, he puts Gerrard there when Lampards fit. It would take a real idiot to not be able to qualify v teams like Montenegro and Bulgaria, its against big teams that we come a cropper.

What about the rest of his illustrious career? We might not have had a tough qualifying group but we still performed amongst the best in Europe (and it's not like the other groups were much harder than ours). Yes it fell apart over four games at the World Cup and Capello made some mistakes, but he's still an excellent manager who is still capable of getting the best out of our team. Like I said - too many people on the anti Capello bandwagon.

I'd certainly back us against Italy and France right now...

What about the rest of his illustrious career? We might not have had a tough qualifying group but we still performed amongst the best in Europe (and it's not like the other groups were much harder than ours). Yes it fell apart over four games at the World Cup and Capello made some mistakes, but he's still an excellent manager who is still capable of getting the best out of our team. Like I said - too many people on the anti Capello bandwagon.

I'd certainly back us against Italy and France right now...

I don't agree with the (largely media stirred) anti-Cappello hysteria - Do most real people actually hold this opinion, or are most servants to the tabloids? (Not sure about my application of hysteria here, either!)

There was something definitely wrong in the WC. It was Capello's responsiblity to have us ready and right, but we weren't. There was still something wrong, though, although it was likely a combination of factors. Capello is no idiot. He should have us far better prepared and ready next time, surely?

Archived