BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hodilays!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Whilst not quite as tropical VA, Cancun / Riveria Maya is brilliant, quite a bit more lively than those places though if you just wanted to chill on a white beach. How about Antigua, Tris seemed to enjoy it.

Nowhere like that for us for a while, just wouldn't want to risk it with the nipper so I'll look forward to a couple of weeks in Mallorca or similar next year and Disneyworld as soon as the wife lets me take him (been the last 2 years and getting withdrawl symptoms - hell for some people, not for me I love it).

Madrid btw was great too. 3-4 days there including a trip to Toledo was a really good experience even for us who spoke not a word of Spanish when we went (we came back speaking quite a lot) Bernabeu stadium tour was worth doing - sitting in the dugout and the press room very impressive)

Went on a blokes do about 4 years ago. No need for a food budget. If you drink in the hundreds of bars they keep feeding you tapas. I seem to rem that apart from breakfasts in the hotel we had 1 proper meal in 3 days.... Drank enough to sink the proverbial ship mind. ;)

Went on a blokes do about 4 years ago. No need for a food budget. If you drink in the hundreds of bars they keep feeding you tapas. I seem to rem that apart from breakfasts in the hotel we had 1 proper meal in 3 days.... Drank enough to sink the proverbial ship mind. ;)

Lad

Don't really drink and my daughter doesn't drink at all, so that wouldn't have worked for us but food was cheap anyway - 10 euro got you a 3 course lunch with wine and coffee. Often not sure what we were going to get as we avoided the places that put the menu in English, but quickly learnt the words we needed.

Great thanks for the advice gumboots, I have just picked up the AA Paris guide from a charity shop. I'm also interested the summer sales that are going on and also the flea market, my girlfriend has noted down the shops she wants to visit and they seem to be on Rue St Honore, if that makes any sense. Got a decent schedule written up and our hotel is not far from Montmarte (it doesn't sound like the best area tbh) so will be going there first. Have also heard that around the Notre Dam at saturday night there are various street show entertainers, fire eaters etc, is this true as it was only on a little app on my phone, thanks for your help.

Paris, love the place.

The Marais is good for small shops, food etc, Hediard, Fuchon in la madelaine interesting and expensive.

Montmatre is fine, stayed there for a week two years ago, some good restaurants and good atmosphere. St Germain good for shopping and cafe society.

If you like art my favourite is the Musee D'orsay just across the river from the Louvre.

Visit the Trocadero in the late evening for the water/light shows.

I'm off to Gascony tomorrow (where they hate Parisians with a passion)

Paris, love the place.

The Marais is good for small shops, food etc, Hediard, Fuchon in la madelaine interesting and expensive.

Montmatre is fine, stayed there for a week two years ago, some good restaurants and good atmosphere. St Germain good for shopping and cafe society.

If you like art my favourite is the Musee D'orsay just across the river from the Louvre.

Visit the Trocadero in the late evening for the water/light shows.

I'm off to Gascony tomorrow (where they hate Parisians with a passion)

Lucky you. We're off to Brittany for 6 weeks from late July- early September. Lots of sleep and probably lots of rain. Can't remember the last dry summer we had there and they'd had almost no rain for weeks so it's sure to rain when we get there but great when the sun does shine. Been going since the kids were little and still love it now.

• 9 months later...
  • Backroom

We're thinking we may need a holiday this year, we aren't sure where is good to go with a 15 month old.

We will be going I'm September and want somewhere with good weather and all inclusive, normally we'd probably go to Sharm but not sure about hospitals etc with the little one. Turkey is possibility but not sure which resorts are good, otherwise it may be Baelerics.

Any suggestions?

We're thinking we may need a holiday this year, we aren't sure where is good to go with a 15 month old.

We will be going I'm September and want somewhere with good weather and all inclusive, normally we'd probably go to Sharm but not sure about hospitals etc with the little one. Turkey is possibility but not sure which resorts are good, otherwise it may be Baelerics.

Any suggestions?

Turkey is excellent,the `Arcadia` hotel at Belek (been twice) is a good one to go to as is the `Letoonia` hotel near Fethiye.

All depends on your budget really but anything you want to know about these resorts let me know. :tu:

• Backroom

Really just after somewhere with a bit of sun, all inclusive but near a few restaurants as well in a nice area.

I've done all inclusive in Europe, Egypt and Mexico and I know the Caribbean / Mexico ones tend to be on a different level but not braving a 9 hour flight with the boy just yet plus we only want to do a week.

Which area would you say is the better of the two? Are they on the same coast?

I've never really considered Greek islands but maybe I should

Really just after somewhere with a bit of sun, all inclusive but near a few restaurants as well in a nice area.

I've done all inclusive in Europe, Egypt and Mexico and I know the Caribbean / Mexico ones tend to be on a different level but not braving a 9 hour flight with the boy just yet plus we only want to do a week.

Letoonia

They are both on the mediteranean coast,out of the 2 I would say the `Letoonia` is the better.It is more of a resort as opposed to a hotel with around 4 restaurants.The hotel itself is set on a Peninsula.You can catch a ferry over to Fethiye which literally costs you about 1 Euro return (Turkey will take any currency but the main one is the Turkish Lira).The pictures on the site do not do the place justice at all it really is that nice and the staff are fantastic.

We have booked again for an AI in Paphos in September. We go to the Atlantica Golden Beach, fantastic hotel but it's adults only. However most of the hotels in Paphos are great and the weather in September is perfect.

This year we did Dominican Republic in February, we do Lake Garda in June, Paphos in September and Jamaica in December.

Really love my holidays.

Tom, me and Bob had always had great times in Menorca (Cala n' Bosch) with our little menaces - there's a really laid back vibe, some really good all inc's, nice little paddling beaches, a good mix of nationalities so you don't always have to be around Brits if you don't want to but plenty of Brit pubs in the harbour with Sky TV for the footy. Plus every second family has children, so you don't feel really awkward if your little uns decide to throw a tantrum or make a mess because the other parents get it. In fact you've now made me wish we were going back there this year!

Tom, me and Bob had always had great times in Menorca (Cala n' Bosch) with our little menaces - there's a really laid back vibe, some really good all inc's, nice little paddling beaches, a good mix of nationalities so you don't always have to be around Brits if you don't want to but plenty of Brit pubs in the harbour with Sky TV for the footy. Plus every second family has children, so you don't feel really awkward if you're little uns decide to throw a tantrum or make a mess because the other parents get it. In fact you've now made me wish we were going back there this year!

Christ, remind me to stay clear of there then. :D

• Backroom

Cheers Dawn, we're not set on anywhere so will check it out, in fact what was putting me off the Baelerics was the stag do crowds on flights etc but Menorca is immune from that I suppose :)

So now it's just between, somewhere in turkey, a Greek island, Baelerics (mainly Menorca)

Easy eh!

Oh and what would we do without trip advisor to warn me off places for such atrocities as plastic cups from the pool bar!

tom, what did you think of egypt, i didnt enjoy it much, too hot and too much hastle from locals, i stopped in macadi bay, great resort though, had everything, royal sunshine palace, had a nightclub as well but its so hot over there, got sunburned even when under water in the swimming pool, had a great time at the valley of the kings though the temple of karnak, our tour guide was showing us around, couldnt concentrate as its was in the 40's and there was no shade, sweat pouring from me, i was all inclusive as well and they has some great cocktails, i got drunk on the first night and bagged my head on the bathroom sink, they even had a bar in the middle of the swimming pool, i recommend to anyone to go the royal sunshine hotel if you are interested in going to egypt but i would say if you dont like very hot countries, stay well clear!!!

• Backroom

I've been a couple of times stayed near Naama Bay each time and I like it. Naama bay itself is pretty tacky but it is what it is, you just have to be rude and fully blank people when they approach you. The hotels are good for the price and the weather is guaranteed.

Had some great trips out snorkelling and to Cairo, I'd go back in a flash but its too hot for the boy combined with the likelihood of getting a stomach upset it's best for us to go elsewhere this time.

Cheers Dawn, we're not set on anywhere so will check it out, in fact what was putting me off the Baelerics was the stag do crowds on flights etc but Menorca is immune from that I suppose :)

So now it's just between, somewhere in turkey, a Greek island, Baelerics (mainly Menorca)

Easy eh!

Oh and what would we do without trip advisor to warn me off places for such atrocities as plastic cups from the pool bar!

Plastic cups around the pool are safer tho

Any suggestions?

Have at look at Martihal in Portugal Tom. We are just back from a week there and it was fantastic. They do not do all inc but I believe they offer half board which is certain items from the resteraunts menus.

The place is really geared up for kids but also great quality from an adult perspective. The place is by a little fishing port called Sagres and you really need a car to get from Faro and be able to get out and about.

It is a windy spot being placed where it is but that keeps the temp bearable for the little ones.

Plastic cups around the pool are safer tho

Drinking beer out of plastic is like sucking toffee with the paper on. Soft drinks around the pool, beer in the bar.

Archived