BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hodilays!

Cornwall, Falmouth. Set off the day of the Wolves game(schoolboy error). Take in some time on the sea, Eden, wander, drink, talk a load o' b0ll0ck5, meet people and generally relax in luxury surroundings.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you need a rack and panniers, provided our dates don't clash, let me know. Mine are pretty basic and quite small as I have a very minimalist approach to cycle touring but you'd be welcome to borrow them. If this is your first tour one tip, a few days before pack everything you think you need, weigh it, then take out everything you don't really need (be really strict) and weigh it again. You'll be amazed at the difference.

I already have all the gear Paul - a case of midlife crisis by proxy, my son persuading my wife to get Ortlieb panniers, a Garmin GPS and a high spec lock to go with the new bike which, being a tourer is already set up with mudguards and a rack.

You're just a touch quicker than me as well - I'm happy for those speeds in kph! Mind you it might have something to do with the lock which weighs as much as everything else in the panniers put together.

I'll be in England in August 2012 for my niece's wedding if everything goes to plan. I'll have to book whilst our dollar is on a high. At the moment our dollar pulls 66p or US$1.08.

It will be good to catch up with you and a few others I've met over the years.

It will be good to share a bottle of Shiraz or three with an old SMC boy.

I already have all the gear Paul - a case of midlife crisis by proxy, my son persuading my wife to get Ortlieb panniers, a Garmin GPS and a high spec lock to go with the new bike which, being a tourer is already set up with mudguards and a rack.

That's good gear and certainly mid-life crisis stuff!! I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the Garmin. I got one at Christmas but couldn't make it work for me so got a refund. I think it was me rather than the GPS. Which one did you get?

You're just a touch quicker than me as well - I'm happy for those speeds in kph! Mind you it might have something to do with the lock which weighs as much as everything else in the panniers put together.

Personally I only take a light-weight combination number lock. During the day I never let the bike out of my sight or ask someone to watch it if I really have to leave it for a few minutes. At night I only stay in places which offer secure cycle storage, which has meant sleeping with it in the room before now! Obviously it depends where you are but I find it very rare to be in places where bike theft is a likely problem and weight is a big issue.

Haven't booked it yet, but I plan on going to Stockholm for a few days in July. Then in August head out to California, to stay with friends in Los Angeles, Santa Barbra and go down to San Diego for a few days. After that I will fly back to the east coast for one of my best friends wedding in Richmond, Virginia and then go up to New York for a few days. If I can slip in a few days in my parents house in France I will.

Cornwall next week, with a stop-off at the Hay Festival on the way back. Then the Outer Hebrides in early June, followed by Glastonbury with cycling there first from London with my son. Then some time on our canal boat in early July and again in September. I'm away from home for 41 nights out of 54 from next Thursday - what it is to be retired!

Paul - I know it's off topic but what's your new bike?

Now you're talking. I've always wanted a narrow boat. Where's it moored?

btw rest assured I'd never nick your bike Paul. If I ever consider buying another bike Paul it will be one of these below. It'll go up any hill that doesn't need pitons, has plenty of gears and carries large panniers with no effort. ;)http://www.bmwbikes.co.uk/Products/8/63/R-1200-RT/

Now you're talking. I've always wanted a narrow boat. Where's it moored?

During the winter in Scarisbrick marina on the L&L. Right now it's on the outskirts of Keighley after some cruising over the bank holidays. This year's outline plan is to go round to Sheffield in July and then somewhere else in September - admittedly that's not much of a plan! Next year to London hopefully in time for the Olympics.

Oz - I have done most of the English and Welsh canals over the last 36+ years boating. Give me an idea what you're looking for in a canal holiday and I can advise.

Off to my holiday home in Marbella for just over two weeks in August; cannot wait! Will most likely bump into a few Rovers players out there. Had some great chats with Warnock and MGP.

Think you might be chatting to ex players if you see them in August ;)

Parents "second home" i should say. No we don't rent it out Hughesy!

younger daughter and i are off to Madrid for a few days in June after elder daughter and family have been over here for their daughter's baptism. Then late July to early September in Brittany as usual. also trying to get to Munich again later this year, but it depends on flight being cheap and both me and daughter being able to travel at the same time. Since she is currently jobless it's hard to know when we'll both be free, cos if we book it now and then she starts a new job she may not have the time off. If Munich isn't on then we will look at a different European city break, either Biarritz or one of the capitals, perhaps Copenhagen or Warsaw.

Oz - I have done most of the English and Welsh canals over the last 36+ years boating. Give me an idea what you're looking for in a canal holiday and I can advise.

Maybe 3~4 days, put putting from pub to pub for little cash. Summat with room for me, Mrs, two kids. Wales sounds like a good idea John if you can point me in the right area.

Ta.

Maybe 3~4 days, put putting from pub to pub for little cash. Summat with room for me, Mrs, two kids. Wales sounds like a good idea John if you can point me in the right area.

Ta.

Oz,

The Llangollen canal, especially the western end, is probably the most popular stretch of canal in the country, mainly because people want to go across the Pontcysyttle aqueduct. As a result there are plenty of hire firms that will rent you a boat for 3/4 days but you can expect not to be alone. The canal up there is also very narrow so progress can be slow. Having said that it is very pretty and there are plenty of pubs. Some of the companies you could try are Anglo-Welsh at Trevor, Black Prince at Chirk Marina, Maestermyn at Whittington are all good although not necessarily cheap. (Narrowboat holidays can often look expensive but what you need to remember is that the fee is pretty all-inclusive including your entertainment i.e. you don't spend lots on going to attractions like you would if you hired a cottage with kids).

There are other alternatives , which in my opinion are at least as pretty and a lot less crowded, are the Leeds & Liverpool and the Macclesfield/Peak Forest. The L&L from Barrowford over to Skipton is as fine a waterway as there is with some decent pubs, a few locks and a tunnel for kiddie interest. There are big hire companies in Skipton (Pennine Cruisers and Snaygill Boats) and Silsden (Pennine Boats) - again good quality but not cheap. When we were out on Royal Wedding weekend we met up with some hirers who had a boat from Hapton Boats, which despite the name now operates out of Reedley Marina. They hire 2/3 times a year and said that Hapton Boats were a good bit cheaper than others but were decent quality. If you want to go really local there is a firm hiring a few boats from the Boatyard Inn at Riley Green as well.

The Macclesfield and Peak Forest canals are another good spot fairly close. There are fewer hire companies here - Black Prince in Stoke, Heritage near Congleton and another in Macclesfield whose name escapes me are some.

Hope this helps.

Isle of Wight Festival with friends in June, we are hiring a house for a week so after the festival we'll chill out and try to cycle round the Island to various places.

Juan-les-pins in September with the wife and little one for ten days, first holiday since my daughter was born and will be her first time on a plane, should be interesting!

Oz,

The Llangollen canal, especially the western end, is probably the most popular stretch of canal in the country, mainly because people want to go across the Pontcysyttle aqueduct. As a result there are plenty of hire firms that will rent you a boat for 3/4 days but you can expect not to be alone. The canal up there is also very narrow so progress can be slow. Having said that it is very pretty and there are plenty of pubs. Some of the companies you could try are Anglo-Welsh at Trevor, Black Prince at Chirk Marina, Maestermyn at Whittington are all good although not necessarily cheap. (Narrowboat holidays can often look expensive but what you need to remember is that the fee is pretty all-inclusive including your entertainment i.e. you don't spend lots on going to attractions like you would if you hired a cottage with kids).

There are other alternatives , which in my opinion are at least as pretty and a lot less crowded, are the Leeds & Liverpool and the Macclesfield/Peak Forest. The L&L from Barrowford over to Skipton is as fine a waterway as there is with some decent pubs, a few locks and a tunnel for kiddie interest. There are big hire companies in Skipton (Pennine Cruisers and Snaygill Boats) and Silsden (Pennine Boats) - again good quality but not cheap. When we were out on Royal Wedding weekend we met up with some hirers who had a boat from Hapton Boats, which despite the name now operates out of Reedley Marina. They hire 2/3 times a year and said that Hapton Boats were a good bit cheaper than others but were decent quality. If you want to go really local there is a firm hiring a few boats from the Boatyard Inn at Riley Green as well.

The Macclesfield and Peak Forest canals are another good spot fairly close. There are fewer hire companies here - Black Prince in Stoke, Heritage near Congleton and another in Macclesfield whose name escapes me are some.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks.

Anyone been to Rome??

Considering it but not sure if its for me.....whats there to see/ do apart from the vatican city & the coliseum (sp)??

Rome is one of the great cities of the World.

You need a whole day for the Vatican Museum and a day for the Colliseum, the Roman Forum and the Palatine as absolute must sees.

Then there is the Domus Aurea, the Pantheon, Trajan's Column, Trajan's Market, the Catacombs, the Circus Maximus, the Baths of Caracalla, Castel Sant'Angelo, the Mausoleum of Augustus, the Ara Pacis, the Arch of Constantine, the Pyramid of Cestius, and the Bocca della Verità and that is just the 2,000 year old stuff within the city.

There are at least 20 Churches which are worth visiting, the fountains, the piazzas and fabulous galleries at the Villa Borghese and the National Gallery of Modern Art and that's before we get onto over-rated attractions like the Spanish Steps.

And of course the shopping and eating are world class too.

Outside of the centre are places like the Appian Way, the Catacombs and EUR- the fascist new city where the Olympic Stadium is.

Archived