BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hodilays!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stayed in Dawab not far away .Red sea Diving and snorkelling is the best.Desert trips on 4 x 4 or roughing it etc.Follow Moses and Climb mount Sinai at night under clear skies then watch the sun come up but its really tough .Sounds a bit geeky but theres a meteor storm and some sun flairs causing Northern lights now due..Might see ..

im off to egypt friday morning, anyone been? im going to makadi bay, its near, sharm el sheik, theres supposedly not much to do there.

I've just come back. I stayed in Nabq Bay. There is plenty to do, it just depends what your into. Quad biking in the Sinai with a beduin BBQ, diving, snorkling, submarine trips.... just be sure that you haggle for EVERYTHING! even in the pharmacy's. I've been to Egypt several times and if you tip the bar men, waiters and room cleaner then they will look after you in return.

• Backroom

I love egypt, the sea and coral is amazing, so for I have only snorkelled but would love to scuba dive.

Try a shisha pipe, I found it mega relaxing sitting under the stars with one of them, even as a non smoker.

• 8 months later...

It's Italy mate - you can't go wrong, as long as you keep a very close eye on your wallet. In Rome you don't need to do anything beyond wandering, getting lost, sitting in cafes, eating fantastically well. One place to see that isn't on the regular tourist circuit as it's a short train ride is Ostia Antica - as impressive as Pompeii without the crowds.

Anyone been to Rome??

Considering it but not sure if its for me.....whats there to see/ do apart from the vatican city & the coliseum (sp)??

Not much really I'd be inclined to try somewhere else. Once you've seen those two, which only takes a morning, you've covered everything of any real interest.

Not much really I'd be inclined to try somewhere else. Once you've seen those two, which only takes a morning, you've covered everything of any real interest.

What about the city centre itself? Does it have a good nightlife with plenty of bars & places to eat?

Where else would you suggest?

Hughesy I'm sorry I was taking the mick. Rome is a fantastic, beautiful city and it strikes me you need to do a little bit of background reading if you are going to enjoy the visit. Turning up and wandering around is great but it needs a little structure. There really is too much to begin trying to make recommendations though you should consider St Peter's Basillica, The Sistine Chapel, Piazza di Spagna (Spanish Steps), Basillica of St John Lateran (world's oldest church), Piazza Venezia, Appian Way, the catacombs, the Pantheon, the Roman Forum....................the list is almost endless and it depends on what your interests are and how long you have available.

Outer Hebrides in early August with French friends, Cheshire Cycleway in June, probably the Highlands by cycle in July, somewhere warm in the autumn. Probably chuck in a Coast to Coast by cycle in July as well.......................got a new bike you see!!

• Backroom

Hughesy just play assassins creed brotherhood and then try and recreate it there.

No holidays for us this year due to the impending arrival and next year I imagine we'll want to stay in Europe. I'd love to go back to Egpyt but not sure I'd want to risk the hospitals etc with a 1 year old in tow.

Hughesy just play assassins creed brotherhood and then try and recreate it there.

No holidays for us this year due to the impending arrival and next year I imagine we'll want to stay in Europe. I'd love to go back to Egpyt but not sure I'd want to risk the hospitals etc with a 1 year old in tow.

Any Arab country should really be off limits for a time until the dust settles.

Cairns in july for a long weekend.

Another long weekend in September, Vanuatu or New Caledonia maybe.

Round the world in July/August 2012

Any chance you'll be visiting here Dave? It would be nice to meet up if you do.

Hughesy I'm sorry I was taking the mick. Rome is a fantastic, beautiful city

... with not many Bars !! Something i've found to be a drawback with Italy.

Been Hong Kong and Hamburg, going Benidorm, Dusseldorf, Hong Kong, Munich, Madrid and camping at the Download Festival.

Any chance you'll be visiting here Dave? It would be nice to meet up if you do.

I'll be in England in August 2012 for my niece's wedding if everything goes to plan. I'll have to book whilst our dollar is on a high. At the moment our dollar pulls 66p or US$1.08.

It will be good to catch up with you and a few others I've met over the years.

Cornwall next week, with a stop-off at the Hay Festival on the way back. Then the Outer Hebrides in early June, followed by Glastonbury with cycling there first from London with my son. Then some time on our canal boat in early July and again in September. I'm away from home for 41 nights out of 54 from next Thursday - what it is to be retired!

Paul - I know it's off topic but what's your new bike?

Paul - I know it's off topic but what's your new bike?

Beautiful, just beautiful! The frame and handle bars are this in the colour shown Dolan Dual the chainset (a compact double), wheels, saddle and cranks are different, plus I have double-sided SPDs for pedals. It's very light and responsive and being all carbon absorbs a lot of road shock making it very comfortable to ride.

This being my first new bike in seven years I'm amazed by the advances that have been made. My general cruising speed has gone up to around 18mph, even 20 on a good road surface, previously it was about 15.5 / 16mph. I especially like the compact double, it does give much better gearing for general riding (I have 12 - 27 on the rear cassette), it took the bike shop a year to persuade me to move away from a triple. I suspect for big hills, and I do mean BIG, it will be harder to get up. For example although I can get up Winter Hill, from the Chorley side, faster and with less pain, than on the old bike I am currently using the lowest gear and I know of places where I might need something lower. Having said that there's a climb out near Aspley Bridge which I have never got up before without stopping and I just managed to wobble up it last Sunday!! I have yet to try Winter Hill from the White Coppice side and that will quickly tell m the difference, I shall either ride up or fall off in the attempt!!

Part of the reasoning for chosing this bike is it has good clearance for mudguards and will take a rack and panniers. Many modern road bikes won't and so I'm getting the flexibility for the 2 -3 times a year I go touring without the need to buy a tourer.

If you need a rack and panniers, provided our dates don't clash, let me know. Mine are pretty basic and quite small as I have a very minimalist approach to cycle touring but you'd be welcome to borrow them. If this is your first tour one tip, a few days before pack everything you think you need, weigh it, then take out everything you don't really need (be really strict) and weigh it again. You'll be amazed at the difference.

Sorry folks, I'll stop now.

Archived