BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hodilays!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wouldnt touch fosters though or carling, i like guiness and newky brown!!! ironically neither of them is beer

Guinness is a stout and Newcastle Brown is a strong brown ale. Both are correctly classified as beer.

Off to Marrakech in a week as a birthday surprise for my better half and I'm massively excited. Hopefully there won't be any bars over there showing Premiership football! :rolleyes:

Great place. Try Cafe Arabe which has great food in the evening.....and alcohol. Also try the photography museum which also has a lovely roof top snack bar.

If you are desperate fo a cold beer and struggle to find one then look no further than the Hotel Taz (scruffy joint) just of the main square.

April in Cornwall.

May in Lake Garda.

In July a work trip to Seattle will be followed by a ferry to Vancouver Island and then whale watching of the San Juan islands, before catching a flight to Washington DC for a work event.

Great place. Try Cafe Arabe which has great food in the evening.....and alcohol. Also try the photography museum which also has a lovely roof top snack bar.

If you are desperate fo a cold beer and struggle to find one then look no further than the Hotel Taz (scruffy joint) just of the main square.

April in Cornwall.

May in Lake Garda.

In July a work trip to Seattle will be followed by a ferry to Vancouver Island and then whale watching of the San Juan islands, before catching a flight to Washington DC for a work event.

I'm going to Lake Garda in June. Please give me some tips when you get back.

Got back from Sri Lanka earlier in the week.

Couldnt recommend it highly enough. Colombos not got a lot going on, but if you stay nearer to Galle in Hikkaduwa / Bentota or Unawatuna you cant go wrong.

Plenty to do, great weather and incredibly cheap once youve got there.

• Backroom

Looks like its all change for me and a few days at Disneyland Paris, not a patch on Wdw but I'm not dragging the boy on a 9 hour flight.

Would people say its best to fly to CDG from Liverpool or Manchester? Or does there tend to be a better way?

I'm going to Lake Garda in June. Please give me some tips when you get back.

Will do Al. We are going to Riva del Garda at the northern tip of the lake.

We had a few days at Lake Garda in 2008 as part of our honeymoon (between some footy at Switzerland 08 Euros and then some time down on the Med coast between Genoa and Monaco). We rented a place with a large lakeside balcony at Porto di Brenzone, which is around 4 miles down from Malcesine on the eastern side of the lake. I wish you both luck with the weather because you will probably need it even in May and June - it can change very quickly though so don't despair if it's foggy and raining when you arrive.

If you are looking for peace and quiet, then Lake Garda is lovely. That's what we wanted and we found an ideal spot. But then even where we were, you could walk 10-20 mins down the shore and find fantastic restaurants (especially if you like fresh fish) and genuine local bars with no other tourists in there - and during Euro 2008 of course they all had the football on every night which was a bonus.

We did walk up to Malcesine (nice place, very touristy though) and also went to Riva del Garda using the regular scheduled boats which run up and down the lake every day. If you're looking for tips, then I'd say use these boats to get right around the lake and see everything it has to offer - Malcesine is done in 2 hours and Riva in even less. Riva reminded me of Ambleside (even without Hayes Garden World) = rip off cafes, out-of-place designer label shops and your best escape route is by boat to the south. Hope you both enjoy.

As for hodilays this year, I've been quite lucky ... it's no secret I love skiing and so have been over to Switzerland 5 times this winter because the snow has been absolutely fantastic. 2 trips to Gstaad, 1 to Saas Fee, 1 to Fiescheralp and 1 to St Moritz. Thank you Easyjet and Avios rewards :) We also slotted in a long weekend in Germany (flew to Munich) and took in a Bundesliga match at Nurenberg and then the Ski Jumping World Cup round at Obertsdorf.

Also a really great trip to the USA last month - 3 days in New York, then took the train via Chicago / Denver / Rockies / Utah desert / Salt Lake City / Sierra Nevada all the way to San Francisco, which took 3 days + nights. Highly recommended, what a way to see all that scenic countryside without having to drive. We stayed 3 days in San Francisco before flying home and I loved the city.

Still to come - I'm going back to Switzerland next week to see if there's any snow left at the highest spots for a last ski of the season ... then in June going over to New York to see Iron Maiden, then over to France for 10 days to catch some of Le Tour de France in early July.

We had a few days at Lake Garda in 2008 as part of our honeymoon (between some footy at Switzerland 08 Euros and then some time down on the Med coast between Genoa and Monaco). We rented a place with a large lakeside balcony at Porto di Brenzone, which is around 4 miles down from Malcesine on the eastern side of the lake. I wish you both luck with the weather because you will probably need it even in May and June - it can change very quickly though so don't despair if it's foggy and raining when you arrive.

If you are looking for peace and quiet, then Lake Garda is lovely. That's what we wanted and we found an ideal spot. But then even where we were, you could walk 10-20 mins down the shore and find fantastic restaurants (especially if you like fresh fish) and genuine local bars with no other tourists in there - and during Euro 2008 of course they all had the football on every night which was a bonus.

We did walk up to Malcesine (nice place, very touristy though) and also went to Riva del Garda using the regular scheduled boats which run up and down the lake every day. If you're looking for tips, then I'd say use these boats to get right around the lake and see everything it has to offer - Malcesine is done in 2 hours and Riva in even less. Riva reminded me of Ambleside (even without Hayes Garden World) = rip off cafes, out-of-place designer label shops and your best escape route is by boat to the south. Hope you both enjoy.

As for hodilays this year, I've been quite lucky ... it's no secret I love skiing and so have been over to Switzerland 5 times this winter because the snow has been absolutely fantastic. 2 trips to Gstaad, 1 to Saas Fee, 1 to Fiescheralp and 1 to St Moritz. Thank you Easyjet and Avios rewards :) We also slotted in a long weekend in Germany (flew to Munich) and took in a Bundesliga match at Nurenberg and then the Ski Jumping World Cup round at Obertsdorf.

Also a really great trip to the USA last month - 3 days in New York, then took the train via Chicago / Denver / Rockies / Utah desert / Salt Lake City / Sierra Nevada all the way to San Francisco, which took 3 days + nights. Highly recommended, what a way to see all that scenic countryside without having to drive. We stayed 3 days in San Francisco before flying home and I loved the city.

Still to come - I'm going back to Switzerland next week to see if there's any snow left at the highest spots for a last ski of the season ... then in June going over to New York to see Iron Maiden, then over to France for 10 days to catch some of Le Tour de France in early July.

Thanks for the advice Tris. I am taking my Mother who is 85 so it will be quiet affair and I expect to get through a few books for a pleasant change!

Your US trip sounded fantastic, I may need to pick your brains on the rail trip which sounded very interesting. I am off to DC in early May but it is a whistle stop visit for only two nights although I do hope to visit my favourite Brazilian steakhouse the Fogo de Chao, a review awaits on the Restaurant MB thread.

www.fogodechao

Will do Al. We are going to Riva del Garda at the northern tip of the lake.

If you want to get an idea of the lie of the land, there is live cycling from Riva del Garda today (Giro del Trentino) at 1.45pm on Eurosport.

(Highlights at 4pm, 7pm and 9pm on Eurosport 2).

Just got back from a trip to Utah taking in Zion national park and Bryce canyon. Got to say I think Bryce canyon is the most impressive thing I’ve ever seen in the flesh, truly stunning.

Off to Paris in a few weeks and Skiathos in September, anyone been there?

If you want to get an idea of the lie of the land, there is live cycling from Riva del Garda today (Giro del Trentino) at 1.45pm on Eurosport.

(Highlights at 4pm, 7pm and 9pm on Eurosport 2).

Thanks for that Tris. We are staying in Macelsine (? spelling) where a good friend of mine is getting married in the castle.

I'll try to have a chat with you after a match in the Blues Bar. I assume you still sit at the same table?

Archived