SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Group G Discussion - Brazil, Ivory Coast, North Korea, Portugal

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Nani out of the tournament for Portugal... this is going to be an interesting group. Even without Drogba Ivory Coast are no pushovers, and Portugal are now going to relying heavily on Ronaldo to perform.

I don't think that will matter, they would have played Simao anyway, I think Brazil and Portugal but Portugal will still struggle for goals unless they play Ronaldo as out and out striker and they are too defensive in the midfeild.

Ivory Coast without Drogba will be a massive blow.

This made me laugh:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE65410K20100605

North Korean "Rooney" promises goal a game

(Reuters) - North Korea striker Jong Tae-se has promised to score a "goal a game" at the World Cup and lead his country into the knockout stages of the South Africa finals.

Sports

The Japan-based forward, dubbed the "People's Wayne Rooney" by Asian media after the England striker, predicted North Korea would shock Group G rivals Portugal and Ivory Coast and progress along with Brazil.

"I will keep my promise of scoring one goal per game," Jong, who scored both goals in his country's 2-2 draw with Greece in a recent warm-up game, told South Korea's Chosun Ilbo.

"In our group it will be Brazil and North Korea who will advance."

North Korea are making their first World Cup finals appearance since their astonishing run to the quarter-finals of the 1966 tournament won by hosts England.

They could hardly have been given a tougher assignment in South Africa with Portugal and Ivory Coast also drawn in their group.

Training at night under heavy guard and behind barbed wire in the township of Tembisa, about 30 minutes from Johannesburg, however, North Korea insisted they were relishing the challenge.

"I want to surprise the world," said midfielder An Yong-hak, after passing the three large North Korea flags in the lobby of the team hotel to board the bus for training.

And, like in 1966, there will be a game between Portugal and North Korea... In those days, Portugal won 5-3 with 4 goals from Eusebio after being 0-3 down...

Probably one of the greatest World Cup games of all time. It was at Middlesbrough.

The Ivory Coast have employed their game plan very well. Unfortunately, it's an extremely negative and boring gameplan.

If the two free headers that the Ivory Coast have missed had have fallen to Drogba, they'd be 2-0 up. I've been impressed by the three CMs in particular.

Shockingly poor game. Before the start of the groups you think both Portugal and Ivory Coast are too good to go out, but now I hope North Korea qualifies instead of these two. A bunch of multi-millionaires who couldn't care less about the World Cup.

Everyone seems to be happy with a draw in their first game.

Too cautious.

Rob Gereen is particularly delighted with the draw he helped earn for England :lol:

Was miffed I was missing the Portugal v Ivory Coast game but it seems it was nothing much. So Brazil's magnificent back line to light up the tournament? :wacko:

Archived