BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Horns Grrrr

ABBEY

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry guys, as I said before if you in and around the stadiums you will notice many foreigners with Vuvuzelas and enjoying it. Ive seen many a times games in england, where I had to turn the volume up, because I could not hear the atmosphere, only to find out that its dead quiet.

The only reason, as that article says is that France are shockingly poor and Evra is making excuses by blaming those horns.

Imagine Ewood Park, where 20 000 fans banging on a drum… This is not England, its South Africa ffs, when you host the World Cup, you can do whatever you want to do.

They don't bother me at all really, like Iceman says it is all part of the tournament vibe, so to speak. The only thing I notice is that it does drown out the crowd noise a bit, but there is not much in the way of singing going on there anyway.

This is not England, its South Africa ffs, when you host the World Cup, you can do whatever you want to do.

It's a worldwide TV event and they're spoiling it for the vast majority of supporters.

I don't know, maybe the horns sound great in their quarter-empty stadiums. Watched the Italy game the other day and couldn't hear anyone cheering when a goal was scored. No ooohs and ahhhhhs, just...

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But what about the hearing problems which can be caused iceman? Norwegian papers are reporting that it is 139 DB and the same as working in a coal mine. Important to notice that the inventor of the vuvuzela is filthy rich from it and also sells earplugs :)

After looking forward to the world cup I am now not watching it. South Africa must never, ever, host another sporting event. They are not fit to do so.

After looking forward to the world cup I am now not watching it. South Africa must never, ever, host another sporting event. They are not fit to do so.

'tis a bit "noisy" isn't it Al, though I wouldn't stop them from hosting a cricket match or two.

I must admit it makes me want to swat a mossie or two during the match.

Fly in a load of Stukers, and have the trumpets of Jericho drown them out. I don't care if its part of the culture down there, they're annoying and bludgeon any other noise. Incest and paedophilia is part of the culture in Pitcairn Island, but that doesn't make it right to get stuck into a 13 year old.

A few would be OK, but 50,000 is enough to send you mad and get a migraine.

I'd have thought with them all being very similar in the frequency range broadcasters could use a notch filter to filter out the sound.

ITV can't even manage to show goals from the games, lord knows how they are going to think of that one.

Anyone think this monotonous buzzing could be affecting the players? There's been significantly less goals scored so far than previous World Cups. It could be disrupting the rhythm. People will mention the ball, but wasn't the whole point that the ball would be a goalkeeper's nightmare?

Would it have killed you to have done a bit of research?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuvuzela

"Originally made out of tin, the vuvuzela became popular in South Africa in the 1990s"

..so I guess Fifa infultrated South African football back in the early nineties and popularised the Vuvuzela so that in 20 years time they could give SA the World Cup and then make a few bob from selling them? Is that what you are seriously suggesting?

Besides, I would have thought it was street traders who were selling them rather than some FIFA hired sales team.

Don't tell me, there's a Facebok petition?

Dont worry Ewood I have spent the last 40 years of my professional life doing resaerch so I am used to it! I did read the article you refer to but where we part company is in the interpretation of the evidence. I feel that a nations culture is defined by how its history and the actions of its people have been forged, developed and refined over many generations. I dont agree that a horn used over one generation can be classed as cultural.The plastic version only over the last 5 years!

I am very cynical where Fifa and Mr Blatter are concerned.I do not doubt for one minute that a Fifa sponsored tournament in Fifa sponsored stadia is not in charge of the merchandise sold in and around the stadia.It is interesting that the plastic versions were made in 2005 after South Africa was chosen.

Fifa have in fact called the vuvuzela their trademark and forced a local airline to remove pictures of the horns from the airlines advertising.

They have also charged high fees for broadcasting rights to the games. They have to recoup their $420 million prize money somehow.

I think he is more than capable of blowing his own vuvuzela!

I can only repeat what I posted on the other thread a few days ago - the vuvuzelas are everywhere here in Cape Town ... match days, non match days, near the stadium, miles from the stadium, on the trains, in pubs, bars, on the streets ... everywhere.

I have yet to meet anyone - native or visiting - who thinks they are a bad thing. We love the noise and the atmosphere here, and the vuvuzelas are the main ingredient.

It's just part of the vibe, it's a real shame people around the world aren't embracing it.

Talk of banning them from the grounds is lunacy by the way - you may as well try and ban wearing denim to the games.

I have yet to meet anyone - native or visiting - who thinks they are a bad thing. We love the noise and the atmosphere here, and the vuvuzelas are the main ingredient.

It's just part of the vibe, it's a real shame people around the world aren't embracing it.

I'm sure they sound great and contribute hugely to the atmosphere at the game but on the tele (where the vast majority of people are watching) it is incredibly irritating and causing people to switch-off.

Worse still is the fact the only talking points so far are balls, horns and irritating noises that are enjoyed by those making them but not by others - which makes it no different to any other lads get together :D

I can only repeat what I posted on the other thread a few days ago - the vuvuzelas are everywhere here in Cape Town ... match days, non match days, near the stadium, miles from the stadium, on the trains, in pubs, bars, on the streets ... everywhere.

Talk of banning them from the grounds is lunacy by the way - you may as well try and ban wearing denim to the games.

Sounds like you're having a great time Tris. Good news. I'd agree trying to ban the vuvuzela is ridiculous, people can take pretty much what they want to make a noise at a football ground provided it's safe. I feel the problem is a simple one, for some of the world wide TV audience the sound is intensly irritating, just as I can't imagine the live sound, you probably haven't experienced 90 minutes of the TV sound! For me, I only have a passing interest in the WC and would have watched England and perhaps some interesting looking other games, the vuvuzela has made the decision not to watch any further games. I'll might change that should England reach the semis or final. I wasn't very interested before a ball was kicked and I'm not concerned that I won't be watching. The problem this creates is two-fold, if the TV audience drops significantly the value of future TV rights may change and secondly South Africa is losing the opportunity to show itself to a part of the world.

I heard an item on Radio 4 several months ago about the vuvuzela; no doubt in my mind it is a FIFA promoted thing and I remember thinking then what an irritating noise it is.

I'm sure they sound great and contribute hugely to the atmosphere at the game but on the tele (where the vast majority of people are watching) it is incredibly irritating and causing people to switch-off.

Worse still is the fact the only talking points so far are balls, horns and irritating noises that are enjoyed by those making them but not by others biggrin.gif

Sounds like you're having a great time Tris. Good news. I'd agree trying to ban the vuvuzela is ridiculous, people can take pretty much what they want to make a noise at a football ground provided it's safe. I feel the problem is a simple one, for some of the world wide TV audience the sound is intensly irritating, just as I can't imagine the live sound, you probably haven't experienced 90 minutes of the TV sound!

Well as this is a World Cup holiday, we have actually watched 12 of the 14 games so far on TV (ie all those not in CT)!! I'm still not seeing (or rather hearing) the problem! Maybe the problem is Clive Tyldesley, thankfully his voice does not feature over here (although Bill Leslie does).

The ball and quality of some of the football is disappointing and I can understand people turning off because of that - but not because of the sound.

I think it's brilliant. I only notice them occasionally, and when I do notice them it brings a smile to my face knowing it is making a lot of people incredibly angry.

Those that were predicting murder and violence on the streets of South Africa, have had to change their tact slightly and now the problem with the world cup is a horn that has been used in football stadiums since the end of apartheid.

When you were younger and full of aspirations and dreams, did you even think that when you got older you would throw your proverbial toys out of your pram, because some African people decided to blow horns at their first major sporting event.

Hilarious.

I have noticed fans of all countries blowing them at games ive watched on TV.

They must not be annoying when your a part of the atmosphere.

The only time they have annoyed me slightly was when i was listening on the radio, but even then it wasn't that bad.

The clubs have started already... Sheff Wed got some in their club shop apparently.

Archived