Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Horns Grrrr

ABBEY

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even players are complaining about them now:

Players complain.

I did hear the english national anthem for about 30 secs over the noise, but to date thats the only singing I have heard. If you can't communicate with each other on the pitch because of them, well IMO they should go. I want to see the teams put in the best performanaces they can.

Patrice Evra :lol: What are they going to do, ban them from playing them on the streets too...

The Video's I've seen show them having a brilliant time jumping around in streets, train stations etc... good on them, if us foreigners don't like it - tough!

Just watching Serbia... I can hear the crowd as I did when England played yesterday.

Guest Kamy100

No problems with the Horns because that is part of the South African footballing culture, however they are killing the atmosphere for the millions watching the games on TV, all you can here is the buzz of the horns, you cannot hear any chanting from the supporters, therefore the games lack atmosphere.

115075005.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1276463660&Signature=uMiNTS1nh1xIYB%2FG%2B0S2gWVjRr0%3D

This has worked for me:

On your TV settings do this:

EQ Drop 300Hz

Boost adjacent eqs.

Save.

You can't hear them after that.

Funny, I was just reading through the thread and going to suggest that the broadcasters do this. The horns are a high frequency, just dampen that and boost the others - voila, everyone is happy!

It's called the WORLD CUP, not the South African Cup. That means embracing all the difference cultures, their own unique chants and rhythm. Not drowning them out for 90 minutes with inane buzzing.

Sorry but one the World Cup never gives is vocal atmosphere. Name me one World Cup match that gives greater vocal atmosphere than a Premier League match.

South Africa can, and should, embrace the World Cup however they like. We can do the same if we get it in 2018. They may be annoying to you and ohers but people who aren't going to watch the World Cup because of the horns are a little petty and looking for brownie points on this message board. They'll be watching it.

Plenty of World Cup games have fantastic atmospheres. You don't get the same amount of chanting/singing that you do in the premier league as a lot of other nations don't have that as much, but I have watched dozens of world cup games where the atmosphere has been fantastic and that isn't being given a chance thanks to the constant buzzing.

This really isn't bothering me.

It's driving my wife mad, though!

My biggest problem as well. Normally she is fair and square and lets me see football on the TV while she is doing other stuff (reading a book, knitting etc), but now it is impossible ! I ahve to mute the tv.

On one hand they are very annoying, however on the other hand they're clearly a part of football culture in South Africa and if we're going to put up with the good things that having the World Cup in South Africa is going to give us (the wild enthusiasm, the colourful support etc), I guess we have to put up with the vuvuzelas too. It'd be a little churlish to ban something purely because it's "annoying".

Since when is a conical piece of coloured plastic part of South African culture? Surely singing has been the mainstay of their lives.We are unable to hear any rythmic chanting because of the din. The vuvuzelas are part of a cynical marketing ploy for which FIfa is partly responsible.The campaign against these horns is growing and most of us will hope that some solution can be reached. What enjoyment is there to watch the matches with the sound turned off!

I was in our despatch office this afternoon. Wagon pulls up ten metres from the office and the driver left the window open and the radio on while he loaded. I couldn't hear the football commentary but I could easily hear the annoying drone from the horns. Haven't watched any games since England / USA and won't be watching any simply because of the bloody horns. Hopefully people are turning off in their millions and giving FIFA a bloody nose.

Since when is a conical piece of coloured plastic part of South African culture? Surely singing has been the mainstay of their lives.We are unable to hear any rythmic chanting because of the din. The vuvuzelas are part of a cynical marketing ploy for which FIfa is partly responsible.

Would it have killed you to have done a bit of research?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuvuzela

"Originally made out of tin, the vuvuzela became popular in South Africa in the 1990s"

..so I guess Fifa infultrated South African football back in the early nineties and popularised the Vuvuzela so that in 20 years time they could give SA the World Cup and then make a few bob from selling them? Is that what you are seriously suggesting?

Besides, I would have thought it was street traders who were selling them rather than some FIFA hired sales team.

The campaign against these horns is growing and most of us will hope that some solution can be reached. What enjoyment is there to watch the matches with the sound turned off!

Don't tell me, there's a Facebok petition?

Archived