BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alex Higgins Dies.

BBC

Died after a long battle against throat cancer.

Sad way for anyone to die. Higgins was the single biggest reason for Snooker taking off so successfully during the early days. He was the inspiration behind the opening of Snooker clubs all over Britain and he was the inspiration behind thousands of lads of my generation taking to the tables.

He will be one of those people who will always be remembered - for the good things and the bad things. He always did one thing though. He always made people sit up and watch.

I remember the 1982 World Championship .... the semi-final comeback against Jimmy White and the tears after he won the final (was it Terry Griffiths he beat?) Loved the fact he was so anti-establishment. RIP, a true sporting genius.

I went from Corbiers in Manchester to The Piano Bar round the corner wayback in the late 80s, and ther he was holdinf court at the back just, well magnetically attracting people with his presence-a truly amazing personality, and having met him a few times it really is a sad day to say he is no more. A great loss, despite his obvious failings.

Archived