BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Best Holiday locations

Ok im after ideas of really good holiday locations...

Basically me & the missus are going to put several ideas of holidays & randomley pick one out & book it.

Iv always fancied New York, aswell as Miami, she is a big fan of Egyptian times etc - so both Egypt & New York will be in there! So the easiest way is to pick 3 really top places each & randomley pull one out & just book it.

So id like to hear peoples best holiday locations? And any ideas they have?

Brazil isnt an option as we are going to do that one when its 2014 world cup, and same goes for Ukrain & Poland for 2012 - although I doubt too many will recommend the last 2! lol

Basically me & the missus are going to put several ideas of holidays & randomley pick one out & book it.

Iv always fancied New York, aswell as Miami, she is a big fan of Egyptian times etc - so both Egypt & New York will be in there! So the easiest way is to pick 3 really top places each & randomley pull one out & just book it.

So id like to hear peoples best holiday locations? And any ideas they have?

Brazil isnt an option as we are going to do that one when its 2014 world cup, and same goes for Ukrain & Poland for 2012 - although I doubt too many will recommend the last 2! lol

I thought Miami was rubbish. Prefer LA and Vegas.

Morrocco is a good shout for a holiday resort. I wouldn't speak to highly of Egypt, mainly because I don't like the people over there.

Malaysia is also another good holiday I've been to.

If I had choice of 3 I would say the following:

Dubai

LA

Morrocco

I've been to the US many times, so here goes my recommendations if you're considering there ....

A tour round the West Coast of the US would be nbr 1 for me. Las Vegas, San Francisco, San Diego, are all great cities - Los Angeles less so imo, far too spread out - while the natural wonders over there e.g. Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Yosemite NP, Zion NP, Joshua Tree NP, Death Valley etc are incredible. 2 or better 3 weeks, a hire car and an idea of a route and some motels/hotels and you're all set.

Miami is great for a few days, we did a week in Orlando for the theme parks, then 10 days touring - went to Miami, the Keys, Naples and Tampa Bay. All good.

New York is the greatest city on earth imo. Only place that I know of that everyone who's been thinks it's awesome. Have heard good things about Chicago too but not been there - yet - will hopefully get there in 2011 as we're planning to drive Route 66 from beginning to end.

What are you looking for in a holiday? I ask this in all seriousness. My wife and I typically just want good weather, and relaxation. Others want outdoors adventure and pretty sights, otherws want culture/history...

I would say in the USA alone, the answer to that could dramatically change the answer. If you want history in the USA, you have to have DC or Philly on the list with NYC. If you want scenery, then you are looking at that just off the west coast tour, or perhaps a northern NE coastal trip, depending on the scenery you want. Good weather, it depends on the year, but that may put you to the Florida area. Culture/nightlife... yeah, NYC is the place.

Time of year is also a big deal. NYC in January could be a pain the rear. NYC in a small snow storm can be amazing. NYC in 8-12" of white becomes a major hassle.

I second that. Chicago is amazing. I've been there twice and it's awesome. In some ways I prefer it to New York where I've been to nearly 10 times. It's got a fantastic skyline like New York, has a big city feel like New York, has loads to do like New York, but doesn't have the same claustrophobic and intense feeling of New York, which I can find quite oppressive. When I go to New York, I stay with my uncle in Hoboken, New Jersey. You look out onto Manhattan from his apartment balcony and down town Manhattan is literally a 15 minute Path ride under the Hudson. After spending a day in Manhattan I'm always glad to escape to the more slow paced way of life in Hoboken. That's not to say I don't like New York. I love it. It's one of my favourite cities. I would like to be able to explore the other boroughs like Brooklyn, which is supposed to be great.

I used to live in Virginia and I'd recommend that as a place to go. It's a stunningly beautiful part of the country. Washington D.C sits on it's border and you find that a lot of people who work in D.C live in Virginia. D.C is a great city too and is worth a visit. Ten years ago, my family went to the U.S for a holiday. We flew to D.C where we spent a few nights, before driving to Pennsylvania and Lancaster County, where the Amish live. That was a good but surreal experience. From there we went to New York, before going onto Boston, which I enjoyed, but wouldn't rush back to. Last summer I went to the west coast for the first time and visited San Francisco, which is a truly brilliant city and somewhere I could move to tomorrow.

I haven't been to Miami, but my friends who live in the U.S and others other friends of mine in Belfast say that you can go there and have fun, because it's a real party town, but there isn't much else. Just lots of concrete and beaches. Places in the south like Savannah, Baton Rouge and New Orleans are supposed to be fantastic.

We had our honeymoon in Sri Lanka and the Maldives last year (one week for each) and while we enjoyed Sri Lanka, I must say that the Maldives is absolute paradise. Not sure if you're looking for something a bit faster paced or more activity based, but due to the nature of the holiday (i.e. on an island resort) in the Maldives it is absolutely perfect for relaxation. Crystal clear water, ideal for some snorkelling (plenty of water sports on offer to try or maybe a touch of fishing), blue skies and very friendly locals. PARADISE. For a chilled out stay it really is ideal. If you fancy something along those lines you should definitely check it out. We stayed on Meeru Island, which I would highly recommend but there's plenty to choose from with varying prices on offer.

• Backroom

Egypt and new York are both good shouts I love both.

My favourite place is Disney world but obviously its very marmite.

Failing that i can rate Cancun very highly. Top beaches along with great bars and clubs and nice hotels. Good excursions to do as well!

Egypt - Enjoyed because of the diving and swimming. However for the english - NO NO , no bars, no decent food, and lots of russians.

Malaysia - Magical place if you want a crazy holiday. Totally different but enjoyable culture. We got one local a transport worker, totally ###### and he could hardly walk. He loved it though and stumbled home.

Spain and islands - Good for local holidays.

I`m also after a good destination preferably february time. Any recommendations welcome...

Probably looking towards end of next year....we have our outdoor holiday in March (Andorra Skiing) - we might be going to Spain in Summer as mum lives over there - so probably December or maybe Jan 2012.

Not sure if I fancy China too....also heard good things about Singapore!?

Probably looking towards end of next year....we have our outdoor holiday in March (Andorra Skiing) - we might be going to Spain in Summer as mum lives over there - so probably December or maybe Jan 2012.

Not sure if I fancy China too....also heard good things about Singapore!?

I would recommend the Caribbean, we are off on a cruise there again in November, the Islands are amazing, google Aruba, part of the Dutch Antilles, duty freegreat food, beaches and nightlife, found a hotel there which we may book next year Riu Aruba Palace on Palm Beach, just outside the Capital Oranjestad and its all inclusive too!!

Alternatively, for food, nightlife, entertainment and seeing differnt places, you could try a cruise out to the Caribbean, March is a great time to go too as the weather is at its best around that time, but anytime between November and March is good and outside the Hurricane season.

San Diego is a magic place for me. A perfect horseshoe bay and visits to the famous San Diego Zoo, the brilliant gaslight district (all lit by natural gas pumped directly from under the sea) and the famous 'Top of the Hyatt' bar are a must. Added to this is a round of golf at Torre Pines and visits to Los Angeles and Tijuana (Mexico) can be done in a day.

EDIT. Seperate days of course :rolleyes:

Ah San Diego, Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.

Sorry if I don't see the wit or the point of that post. Maybe I'm being thick?

San Diego of course translates as 'Saint James'.

• Backroom

I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.

It's a quote from the film 'Anchorman - Legend of Ron Burgundy'

If you're looking at Dec 11/Jan12 then you will need to be long haul to get warm weather. December will always be cheaper as long as you come back before Christmas and the weather will be just as good.

San Diego would be a very fine shout then. My son lived there for 18 months so I've been quite a few times. You can do a beach holiday but with plenty of other things to do. Going that far though you might want to consider other places on the west coast including San Francisco, my favourite city.

If you want a beach holiday then anywhere in the Caribbean will be good then. I would personally recommend Cuba as somewhere for a fine beach holiday but lots of interest there as well.

For a more adventurous holiday but pretty close to home try Marrakesh, the High Atlas and the Sahara.

• Backroom

In honesty it all depends on what you are after. For a city break I love New York, really can't get enough of it, would love to go im December and see the decorations but everytime I have been it has been Feb / March.

The German christmas markets are suppose to be great as well but that would only be a short break.

A few years back we considered doing Christmas in Thailand / Koh Samui (sorry about the spelling)

I've been told I'm not allowed to book for Disneyworld again next year as we are saving to move, hoping to manage a week in Egypt though :)

Great topic, very interesting reading.

New York at Christmas is amazing. We went just before Xmas 2007 and had the best time. There is so much to do and quite simply, it is the best city in the world. We went for a week and still didn't fit in all we had planned. I imagine it will be expensive at the mo (saying that I'm not sure what exchange rate is) when we went it was almost $2 for the £1 which meant I was paying £15 approximate for a pair of Levi jeans in Macys!

One thing I will add about New York is that if you are going away to relax then this may not be the one for you, we were exhausted by the end of the week, with all the walking etc. I agree with earlier posts, it can be quite claustrophobic.

Wherever you choose though, have a great time and give us all a review of where you went.

my favourite place i have visted up to now as to be Bali and Lombock, i also loved Singapore and bangkok too. I am going on a three and a half month trip starting next week. 6 weeks in south america( peru, boliva, brazil, argentina and Chile) New Zealand for 3 weeks and a month in Thailand and Malaysia.

Egypt - Enjoyed because of the diving and swimming. However for the english - NO NO , no bars, no decent food, and lots of russians.

That all depends on where you stay and how much you are willing to pay for your holiday. I've been several times and found the food fantastic and there are a few decent bars if you know where to find them. The people are fantastic and very helpful if you pay them the respect they deserve.

That all depends on where you stay and how much you are willing to pay for your holiday. I've been several times and found the food fantastic and there are a few decent bars if you know where to find them. The people are fantastic and very helpful if you pay them the respect they deserve.

Dont you mean pay them the tips they expect :lol:

• Backroom

Agree, there are a few good bars in Naama Bay, Hard Rock and Little Buddah are cool and Panorama is fantastic built into the hillside overlooking the strip.

Can't wait to go back and chill out with a Shisha Pipe and a nice beer in the open air.

Archived