BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers v Stoke City

rovgers

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just had a cheeky £10 on us to lose. That way only a draw will leave me upset.

I've done something similar - £20 on a 14-team accumulator, including Stoke to beat us.

Rest are on-paper bankers, but the payout is £111k :huh:

• Backroom

Wish I could feel positive and up beat about this game... the more I hear and read the more depressed I feel... I'm flying over from Switzerland and taking my girlfriend to her 1st ever match at Ewood... I so much want it to be a joyous day out and a game to be remembered :(

It could well be remembered for all the wrong reasons mate :blink:

I've done something similar - £20 on a 14-team accumulator, including Stoke to beat us.

Rest are on-paper bankers, but the payout is £111k :huh:

I love bets like this, did one on my stag do, fifteen matcher potential return 273k, I pondered setting up a nutty betting syndicate whereby a group of people put in each week and everyone has a number of bets to choose then the bet is put on, say e.g. 5 of us, 4 quid a week into a paypal account, that 20 quid then put on Saturday matches only, each member picking 3 results.

We are in a situation that sorts the men from the boys.

Our players have the chance to show what they are made of, and I hope they take that challenge, put the past few weeks behind them and get on with their jobs.

As usual, you've it the nail on the head. But this applies to not only the players, but the fans. At this point, we need to put Venkys and all rumblings of discontent aside. We need to focus on cheering on the team. Booing Venkys, Kean, Samba, etc. will do nothing to improve performance and may actually hurt our chances over the next 3 games to put points on the board.

They'll be plenty of time to boo as the season progresses, if warranted. We shouldn't hit the self-destruct button too soon.

And I actually think we've got a very good chance of getting something from this game. :)

As usual, you've it the nail on the head. But this applies to not only the players, but the fans. At this point, we need to put Venkys and all rumblings of discontent aside. We need to focus on cheering on the team. Booing Venkys, Kean, Samba, etc. will do nothing to improve performance and may actually hurt our chances over the next 3 games to put points on the board.

They'll be plenty of time to boo as the season progresses, if warranted. We shouldn't hit the self-destruct button too soon.

And I actually think we've got a very good chance of getting something from this game. :)

Absolutely agree, Steve. I hope we will be fully behind the boys on Sunday and ongoing fixtures. It is not their fault we are in this situation, but it is time for all of us to show our commitment and cheer the boys on as never before.

We may not agree with what Venky's are allegedly doing, but let's give them a chance - as John Williams so profoundly said, we are in the business of winning matches and that, above all, is the aim of the club, then, now and in the future.

Why would anyone boo Kean????

The players need to show they can get it done whatever the situation. Many people have had lousy weeks at work in the last few years seeing people let go and an uncertain future. Rise above it. Pick a team with hunger and desire Kean. History is not destiny. Time is now. 3-1 Rovers

Interesting that a lot of you seem to think inexperienced Josh Morris is the answer to our leftback problem. Not for this game I don't think, we need all the height we can get in our team to prevent the threat of Stoke. Givet has had a few poor performances but his heading ability is needed for games like this. I think we definitley need a sitting or holding midfielder in the centre if we are going to play 4-4-2 again.Not seen a lot these two players but my vote would be for Linganzi over Goulon. I'd line-up as follows:

Robinson

Salgago, Samba, Nelsen, Givet

EH-Diouf, Linganzi, Pedersen, Olsson

Kalinic, MB-Diouf

To me that looks a well balanced side, Dunn & Benjani surely have to drop out after their performances against West Ham. Kalinic with a striking partner would be interesting as would Olsson starting left midfield where he played well towards the end of last season. This also means we've got the likes of Dunn, Emerton & Holiett to use from the bench if we need to change things later on.

I'll go for a 2-0 Rovers win with Pedersen and MB-Diouf on the scoresheet.

• Backroom

i think with this game coming so close to the West Brom game there is going to be changes for them both Dunn and Benjani would never play in both games which one does he pick them for

Hopefully neither

Now we know much abouts Stokes play, Jones and Fuller are a bit of a handful and the underated Etherington is having a good season, then we have the threat of Delap, right, first of all we leave as much snow round the pitch as possible or move the advertising boards forward to limit his run ups for his throws.

I would, in the absence of a defensive midfielder consider Salgado in there, bring Emerton back to right full back, with Nelsen and Samba in the centre (Jones would have started there if fit) we seriously lack pace at the back and Givet looked slow against West Ham, do we bring in Olssen on the left and play M Diouff on the right, two quick lads in wide positions may, just may force Etherington tp play a little deeper.

Midfield is the problem, certainly against West Ham we were struggling, though Pederson was by far the best player in Rovers team, so he would be there, so who is the second C midfielder? the choice is limited and Dunny should just play a cameo role late in the game, surely we have an energetic midfielder in the reserves who could do a job, run his b******* off for 60 minutes and then replace him.

Up front is difficult, If Roberts is injured, well, I would still go with Kalinic, width would help him and Huth is not the quickest, I have milk which would turn quicker than him, Shawcrass is a tough guy but makes rash tackles in and around the box, a yellow or red card waiting to happen, so I would drive into the box at every opportunity. The only downside is M Dioufs defensive work and he really does need to wear shinpads, he's going to get a bad one if he's not careful.

There will be differing opinions but thats how I would set Rovers up.

Stolen from Brian Laws football genius. Nervous about this game, I'm hoping Hoilett and Olsson get a game. Really NEED a stylish win to settle things down a bit, fearing the worst though (true Rovers fan style)

Kean goes to India - comes back bearing news that he shares with the playing staff.

Everyone a lot clearer and happier and determined to show their worth as part of the "Team India" experiment

Rovers win at a bit of a trot

Now, where's my spliff gone?

Interesting that a lot of you seem to think inexperienced Josh Morris is the answer to our leftback problem. Not for this game I don't think, we need all the height we can get in our team to prevent the threat of Stoke. Givet has had a few poor performances but his heading ability is needed for games like this. I think we definitley need a sitting or holding midfielder in the centre if we are going to play 4-4-2 again.Not seen a lot these two players but my vote would be for Linganzi over Goulon. I'd line-up as follows:

Robinson

Salgago, Samba, Nelsen, Givet

EH-Diouf, Linganzi, Pedersen, Olsson

Kalinic, MB-Diouf

To me that looks a well balanced side, Dunn & Benjani surely have to drop out after their performances against West Ham. Kalinic with a striking partner would be interesting as would Olsson starting left midfield where he played well towards the end of last season. This also means we've got the likes of Dunn, Emerton & Holiett to use from the bench if we need to change things later on.

I'll go for a 2-0 Rovers win with Pedersen and MB-Diouf on the scoresheet.

I like that line-up, Grizfoot, and agree with your comments. Linganzi remains an unknown quantity but I understand N'zonzi is still injured so with Jones out it would be a likely time to give Linganzi a start in that position. Morris and Emerton are handy subs to have as cover for all 4 wide positions, and 2 up front at home to Stoke should be how we set out.

I like that line-up, Grizfoot, and agree with your comments. Linganzi remains an unknown quantity but I understand N'zonzi is still injured so with Jones out it would be a likely time to give Linganzi a start in that position. Morris and Emerton are handy subs to have as cover for all 4 wide positions, and 2 up front at home to Stoke should be how we set out.

Thought Linganzi looked okay in the Carling Cup against Norwich in the only game I've seem him play, well at least he seemed a little bit more composed than Goulon who is the only other possible option for that role. Bit of harsh luck that we are lacking in central midfielders at present with Nzonzi, Grella (do we still have him?), Jones & Andrews all out injured. Although Kean seems firmly for 4-4-2, which a lot of people where keen for us to adopt (pardon the pun) as oppose to a strict 4-5-1 formation we played under Big Sam. With Stoke also likely to line-up 4-4-2 dare we hope for an open, entertaining game of football. Although surely it can't be any worse than last year's 0-0 which was quite possible the worst game of football I've ever witnessed.

Archived