BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers v Stoke City

rovgers

As nobody had step forward to write anything for the Stoke game, I thought I’d step in.

Well we go into the last home game of the year and what a year it’s been. So I thought about looking back over the last 12 months of home games.

I don’t suppose there are not a lot of better games to start your home games for the year than a cup semi-final. Unfortunately a defeat in the first leg really left with too much to do for the second league. We did manage to two important wins against Wigan and Fulham.

In February we gained another 6 points with a nervy 1-0 win against Hull and a great 3-0 win over the Piggies down the road. March saw us get 3 points from the “big club” and gain a very credible point against the eventual premiership winners. April saw us put a big dent into Man Utd’s ultimately failed challenge for the title. A minor blip on last season’s home record came against Everton when they poked us in the eye, literally by Arteta on Pedersen, when Cahill scored a last minute winner. Our last game of the season saw us remain unbeaten at home against the “Big four” when a fine win over L’Arse saw Rovers fans go home looking forward to moving on to “the next level”.

This year’s summer was a very strange one. Every week, and even day, we were being linked to a new “mystery striker”. The transfer budget went from £0 to £5 million and unfortunately back to £0 during the transfer window. Just in case us Rovers fans should get bored with the lack of transfer news we had the prospect of new owners. Would it be Syed with his “Billions”, one of the Wizards from lord of the rings, the “mystery” bidders or the other “mystery” bidders.

The new season started well in the results department with 3 points from our opening game. We progressed into the next round of the league cup with 3-1 defeat of Norwich and then suffered defeat against L’Arse and hopes of repeating last seasons record against the “big 4”. In September the number of home games equalled the number of points gained. October saw us score one goal, gain one point and the prospect of new owners increase when the little known group of Chicken farmers jumped in to the driving seat. The new owners then saw Rovers win the next three games with victories against Wigan, Villa and Wolves.

To sum up the last 12 months, we’ve got new owners, sacked a manager who had an home record of 11 wins, 4 draws and only two defeats against teams out of the top four and thousands of very confused fans!

Last weeks depressingly disappointing game against our “bogey” leads us to this game, apart from losing points against Wham we also lost 3 players to injuries. The main question for this game for me is- do we revert back 4-5-1 or stick with 4-4-2. I’d like to think that we would stick with 4-5-1 because I don’t really want to witness a display last weeks but with the majority of our midfielders missing, we might have to play 4-4-2.

Finally to paraphrase our opponents terrace anthem for Mrs Desai-

I saw the light on the night when she bought the rovers

I saw the star players we could have signed

She was my woman

As she deceived me I watched and went out of my mind

My, my, my, Desai

Why, why, why, Desai

-Rovgers

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one rovgers.

Got a horrible feeling Stoke will have everything we won't have by Boxing Day by way of organisation, management, tactical nous and players who can exert pressure for 90 minutes and do the biz in front of goal.

A 1-1 draw I think is about as optimistic as I can be but who knows what this week will bring from the Bollewood dreamland.

• Backroom

2-1 Stoke, Stoke are everything Allardyce dreamed of Rovers being IMO, they do what we do but are much better set up for it.

Kenwyne Jones would have been perfect for us, I'm a massive fan of Fuller as well the guy is a class act. Same with Tuncay actually. And Etherington!

Bloody hell they actually have a good attacking team but we should be able to get one or two ourselves as they aren't great at the back.

Is anyone confident we can win this game ? The feeling of despair over events at the club increases every day and I wouldn't be suprised if we slowly sunk into the bottom 3 over the next 2 months.

Hope I'm wrong of course but a point against Stoke is the best we can hope for.

If we play like we did on Saturday then no, especially with the injuries we have. I've never wanted a game to be called off before but I wouldn't mind this one bring postponed, it might give the powers in charge more time to get their act together.

I think we will lose this one and probably would have done under Sam imo. Like TCO has said they play a very similar style that Allardyce does but are better at it, largely due to having the perfect players for the system.

2-0 Stoke win and pressure on Venky's to step up the search for a new manager.

very confident of a stoke win.......rarely bet on football but as the away team they must have some decent odds.

Well must say after reading all the replies im quite shocked at the lack of confidence. I know the injuries dont help and obviously the current situation. But it is Stoke your playing :P

I was shocked you sacked Big Sam as he got you results be it not playing what the media call as attractive prem football. I think the label us two recieve by the media is shocking and i think we have both proven we ruffle up the big boys (Arsene f*****g Wenger)and we have proven that we can play decent stuff at times!

I hope you find a decent replacement must be abit nervy getting new owners in who start to change everything but only time will tell. Lets just hope Diego doesnt get the job :D

Right as for the game. The injuries you picked up in the last game doesnt help but luckly for you TP seems to like to sit back away from home and try to counter attack. I would like to see us go for it more away from home especially now we have to out and out wingers but like you have mentioned we have been abit suspect in defence this year unlike last year. This is because Huth seems to be prefered at RB rather the CB and and lets be honest he isnt the quickest RB in the world. I still think it will be a close game but hopfully the 3-4 k away fans we help us to a sneaky win ;).

Good luck for the rest of the year i am sure you will stay up! Be positive ;)

Not feeling optimistic about this one, but at least I'd be saying the same if Sam was here. Apart from Sam's opening win against Stoke, we've had some dour results and performances against the Potters. It was the kind of games which really highlighted Sam's inability to adapt and offer a Plan B. This is the chance now for Kean to prove his worth, but that means making significant changes from Saturday's game. It was obvious Rovers cannot play an open game without having any penetration through the middle or anyone to run in behind. I've offered the formation to remedy that:

ROBINSON

SALGADO - SAMBA - NELSEN - MORRIS

LINGANZI

HOILETT - EMERTON - PEDERSEN - OLSSON

KALINIC

Hoilett & Olsson will have license to bomb forward and support Kalinic, with Salgado & young Morris on the overlap. Pedersen & Emerton will pull the strings in the middle, and Linganzi will sit behind them to tidy up. It might look a little risky to some, but I believe it will give us more of a chance than not!

Not feeling optimistic about this one, but at least I'd be saying the same if Sam was here. Apart from Sam's opening win against Stoke, we've had some dour results and performances against the Potters. It was the kind of games which really highlighted Sam's inability to adapt and offer a Plan B. This is the chance now for Kean to prove his worth, but that means making significant changes from Saturday's game. It was obvious Rovers cannot play an open game without having any penetration through the middle or anyone to run in behind. I've offered the formation to remedy that:

ROBINSON

LINGANZI

HOILETT - EMERTON - PEDERSEN - OLSSON

KALINIC

Hoilett & Olsson will have license to bomb forward and support Kalinic, with Salgado & young Morris on the overlap. Pedersen & Emerton will pull the strings in the middle, and Linganzi will sit behind them to tidy up. It might look a little risky to some, but I believe it will give us more of a chance than not!

prefer pedersen at full back and salgado in dm with emo right back, drop linganzi and go mame up front

ROBINSON

LINGANZI

HOILETT - PEDERSEN - OLSSON

KALINIC - M. DIOUF

Subs: Benjani (only as there is no one else), Dunn, Emerton, EHD, Hanley, Givet and Bunn.

It's a young team, but its time to gamble on the youth. Dunn, Emerton, Givet, EHD and Benjani all look like they're out of gas. And we need to go at them.

Robinson in goal.

Back four of Salgado, Samba, Nelsen and Givet. If Samba doesn't make it we could bring Givet inside and play Olsson at left back or simply bring Hanley in as a straight swap.

As people have already mentioned we need to add some pace to our midfield/wings. I'd play Hoilett from the off with Diouf on either side and play Emerton in the centre with the fit again N'Zonzi. Emerton would need to fill in for Jones and break up the play and let NZonzi move the ball around.

I would then play Pedersen just behind Kalinic and make sure the theme of the day was pass and move. I would also give Diouf, Hoilett and Pedersen the freedom to switch positions. I would bring M. Diouf on in the second half for Kalinc if we were struggling to keep the ball in their half.

Anyone know who to address my C.V. to?

• Backroom

Robinson in goal.

Back four of Salgado, Samba, Nelsen and Givet. If Samba doesn't make it we could bring Givet inside and play Olsson at left back or simply bring Hanley in as a straight swap.

As people have already mentioned we need to add some pace to our midfield/wings. I'd play Hoilett from the off with Diouf on either side and play Emerton in the centre with the fit again N'Zonzi. Emerton would need to fill in for Jones and break up the play and let NZonzi move the ball around.

I would then play Pedersen just behind Kalinic and make sure the theme of the day was pass and move. I would also give Diouf, Hoilett and Pedersen the freedom to switch positions. I would bring M. Diouf on in the second half for Kalinc if we were struggling to keep the ball in their half.

Anyone know who to address my C.V. to?

Barry Kilby

Burnley Football Club

Turf Moor

Harry Potts Way

Burnley

BB10 4BX

:P

Good of you to drop by StaffStokie.

And a good review.

I don't really care what the score is, I just dont want to ever have to freeze my knackers off like at the West Ham game.

So it's some kind of soup (doesn't matter what flavour because it'll have at least 3 habenero chillis in it)

It's the cold. It's freezing mt brian Or something.

He hasn't got many options with all the injuries but against Stoke I hope he plays someone with pace as the West Ham game was crying out for that. Hoillett & Olsson spring to mind. Also drop Benjani (who for me was awful against WH) and put in Kalinic. In the cup games last season we played two up front and Kalinic looked more comfortable.

Robinson

Emerton Samba Nelson Morris

Salgado

Hoilett Pederson Olsson

Diouf Kalnic

Subs Roberts, Benjani, Givet, Dunn, Diouf, Linganzi, Bunn

I wouldnt mind seeing Pederson as a left wing back at some point in the season as well.

Correct me if I am wrong but I dont believe we have started a game with Hoilett, Olsson and Diouf all starting?, They all have lots of pace which we need more off.

By putting Salgado midfield He can get away with a lack of pace a bit more, he stuggled against Boa morte at the weekdend a couple of times. He is a good passer of the ball and strong and good tackler so think he could do a good job there.

Not sure of Morris speed but looks pretty quick so with him and Emerton as wing backs and Olsson and Hoilett on the wings we have loads of pace.

I really think we can cause them plenty of problems with this formation

Robinson

Emerton Samba Nelson Givet

Salgado

Diouf 1 Pederson Olsson

Diouf Kalnic

Subs Roberts, Benjani, Givet, Dunn, Diouf, Linganzi, Bunn

I wouldnt mind seeing Pederson as a left wing back at some point in the season as well.

Correct me if I am wrong but I dont believe we have started a game with Hoilett, Olsson and Diouf all starting?, They all have lots of pace which we need more off.

By putting Salgado midfield He can get away with a lack of pace a bit more, he stuggled against Boa morte at the weekdend a couple of times. He is a good passer of the ball and strong and good tackler so think he could do a good job there.

Not sure of Morris speed but looks pretty quick so with him and Emerton as wing backs and Olsson and Hoilett on the wings we have loads of pace.

I really think we can cause them plenty of problems with this formation

I've made two swaps, 1 Givet for Morris. Think we'll have a lot of high balls to deal with and Givet seems much better with his head. Given he has Olsson in front of him, I doubt we will miss Givet's lack of offensive capabilities and we definately will be in a physical fight so as many physically strong players as possible would be needed.

I'd also swap our Diouf for Holliett due to the physical nature of the contest. Hopefully with Kalinic, Olsson and Diouf 2 we'd have enough pace, but think with Junior in there also we would be very lightweight. Diouf isn't bad going forward, and with Emo overlapping it could be quite an interesting combination on the right.

I would rather see Samba up front than Benjani. I honestly think that was the worst display I've ever seen from a forward in the blue and white halves.

This formation, I could see us getting something from it at least a draw. No doubt we'll have Benjani up front, Dunn somewhere involved and no protection for the back 4 and we'll get tonked instead.

Archived