BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers v Stoke City

rovgers

Bringing 4 or 5 players in, in the January window, is not going to change anything even if we bring in 4 or 5 Superstars

Correct. New players won't make any difference without a decent manager. Shame we sacked one of the best in the business.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry not having a go but just stating the obvious, well the obvious to me anyway.

Who do you think suggested Kean as manager? Mrs Desai has been following his career closely?

Why was Neil Macdonald sacked along with Sam?

Why has Sam suggested that someone stabbed him in the back?

I think it was possibly a combination of an agent and the chicken brothers who made the decision. After throwing a huge party in India to watch the Rovers versus united, they were fuming at the shocking loss. After already coming to a decision that Sam was not the man for them, this defeat just helped hasten the process. He was always a dead man walking with new owners coming in.

The Macdonald sacking is a bit more straightforward, I think. He was Sam's number two and it's often the case that when a number one goes, number two does as well, they kind of come as a unit really.

As for Sam, clearly he is terribly disappointed. He has good reason to be and he's still trying to get answers to what was a shocking and unexpected decision. I think venky's and 'their people' had already made their mind up about Sam when they bought the club. Maybe Sam was just trying to throw the spanner in after what happened to him.

Kean's appointment, in my opinion, is definitely because he has links to the agency who will have pushed for his appointment to the Rao's and Desai.

Just out of interest, what do you make of the Kean situation and if you're not happy with him, who would you like to be appointed in an ideal world?

Correct. New players won't make any difference without a decent manager. Shame we sacked one of the best in the business.

People hated his football, people hated his self publicisam but:

HE GOT RESULTS - probably would have got 2 good ones over the last few games too.

Just out of interest, what do you make of the Kean situation and if you're not happy with him, who would you like to be appointed in an ideal world?

Kean is a very good coach, that there is no doubt. I think he has been put into a horrible situation here - plus we must remember he/we suffered some key injuries in his first game.

I also think it is too early to say he will be a failure even though the signs are not looking good - he does need to be given some matches as not fair to judge someone on just 2 (I know some people just don't think he will be up to it).

Ideal world manager appointment is a difficult one - personally don't think there are many top managers around. Don't think it would ever happen but would be nice to think we could at least approach someone highly rated, who may be in work at the moment

Kean is a very good coach, that there is no doubt. I think he has been put into a horrible situation here - plus we must remember he/we suffered some key injuries in his first game.

I also think it is too early to say he will be a failure even though the signs are not looking good - he does need to be given some matches as not fair to judge someone on just 2 (I know some people just don't think he will be up to it).

Ideal world manager appointment is a difficult one - personally don't think there are many top managers around. Don't think it would ever happen but would be nice to think we could at least approach someone highly rated, who may be in work at the moment

Yeah, i'm kind of feeling the same way myself. Although i'm sure we could appoint a decent manager on the back of SEM's contacts within the game. It's going to be interesting whatever happens, I just hope we're looking at quality purchases rather than players of the Michael Chopra ilk which would be shocking and extremely detrimental to the Venky's relationship with the fans.

Kiddo had and still has with some people the reputation of being a very good coach. However he swiftly got us relegated in spite of having plenty of cash to spend ( squander ). If he'd have stayed on he would have got us relegated again. Fortunately we still had Big Jack so the error of his appointment was eventually rectified. This is a similar situation but we've nobody in charge who can grasp the nettle.

Did you see the game, we played three centre halfs, two full/wing backs, with three midfielders (Dunn in the Tugay role) and two up front.

I actually only just realised this after they showed the line-ups pre-match on the highlights. Olsson was definitley playing a lot further advanced than Salgado though, so it was a bit of a wonky 3-5-2. Pedersen and Dunn was definitley the central midfield pair who where both sitting rather deep at times. Whilst Emerton appeared to be just running around anywhere (a role which Hoilett played much better once he came on) that begs the question why was Dunn the one sitting deep in central midfield instead of Emerton. Surely Dunny would have been much more effective in the advanced role just behind the strikers.

I though we played quite well yesterday despite the defeat - the only real issue was the lack of chances we created. We're clearly missing a ball playing centre mid and Kean has pointed out that he is looking for one in the window, so hopefully that will come off if he's still here.

In light of the last two games, it's become clear to most fans that sacking Allardyce at this stage of the season was a real shocker. Venky's have clearly made a huge boo boo on that front. Over the long term, I had no problem with them wanting to replace him with someone whose style is more entertaining to watch. However, that decision should have been made at the end of the season if it had become clear to the board that he was not the right man to take us forward even after being given some money to spend. Appalling decision regarding the timing.

As for the future, I have nothing against Steve Kean and I will continue to support him whilst he's in the job but I think the new owners need to appoint a full-time permanent manager who has experience of managing a football club. Unfortunately for Kean, in the circumstances, he was part of Sam's team and whilst he's in charge the players will be questioning why they have the janitor when they could have carried on with the head teacher who most players thought was doing a good job. For me, this makes Kean's position untenable.

Venky's need to act after tomorrow's game and bring in a man who will refresh the dressing room, bring in his own team and have the respect of the players for being his own man and for getting the job on the back of his own achievements as a manager. That really is the only way forward from now on.

Thoughts?

I agree with much you have put here - with the exception of Kean's position being untenable. I don't think we can judge him yet - it is only two games in and we have a horrendous injury list to contend with. The transfer window will show what we can achieve with him in charge.

The one thing that the Stoke match showed - was how the new owners were probably right to get rid of Sam - just their timing was c**p. The Stoke style of play was pretty dire - and very similar to much served up under Sam (though I actually thought we were slightly more entertaining under Sam).

But for one set piece - it would have been the 0-0 draw that both teams deserved.

At the moment I am very depressed about all things Rovers - and am struggling to see light at the end of the tunnel that Venky's made themselves. However - keep the blue flag flying etc. etc.

One final point - don't think it helps the players for the fans to chant slogans against the owners during the match - or chanting for Sam. If fans want to demoralise the players and ensure relegation - please carry on - but consider the impact that chants can have on players.

I'd feel happier if Kean had a more experienced number two. I like Brunskill, but I'm not sure about this idea of everyone getting promoted.

Why not mum? I'm sure that it saves loads of money.

And I hope he has nightmares every night till he dies.

Might not be too long if the stupid pillock made himself known in my local. :angry2:

An away fan's review...

http://www.stokecity-mad.co.uk/feat/edz9/ewood_park__261210_612665/index.shtml

Check the comment about our "old ground"....rebuilt a full 5 years before the Britannia opened !!

"Ewood Park is ok really, an old ground that still has some character even if it is a bit cramped in the concourses..." ...bloody cheek !

Unsurprisingly he seemed quite happy with the performance & result.

well that is the last ticket I buy until I see Venkys put their money where their mouth is! I hope they have been enjoying the "attractive" football we've played under Kean in the last two home games because not only have I not enjoyed it but I couldn't pick anything positive from the two matches. Half the players didn't even seem to know what position they were supposed to be playing!

• Backroom

An away fan's review...

http://www.stokecity-mad.co.uk/feat/edz9/ewood_park__261210_612665/index.shtml

Check the comment about our "old ground"....rebuilt a full 5 years before the Britannia opened !!

"Ewood Park is ok really, an old ground that still has some character even if it is a bit cramped in the concourses..." ...bloody cheek !

Unsurprisingly he seemed quite happy with the performance & result.

Apart from the bit about the concourses it's a fair comment, Ewood Park is an old ground in total, the lopsidedness of the Riverside distinguishes us from all other grounds and gives the ground character.

Archived