BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Window Part 2

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kean has just said on Rovers Player that they will unveil a new first team coach on Monday.

He said it's someone that fans should be very excited about and has a great pedigree.

Any ideas who it could be?

Nicko?

Mike Newell or Tony Parkes. Maybe Ray Wilkins

Steve Clarke is after the burnley job according to the LET.

Why do you say that? He called himself it on Cross Bar challenge. If you believe that some might see it as a racist slur, thats just daft. King Kong was big, so is samba, that's were the nickname comes from.

:Yep, my original post was because of the thinking in terms of being huge like Mr Kong as you mention above - I have edited my original post though just in case it does cause any offence or gets misconstrued :rolleyes:

I hear that the guys from Venkys have finally approved a budget for us (Within the last 24 hours, yes, really.)

Might open things up a lot, but from what I hear, don't expect to win any bets from William Hill.... :unsure:

Most of the players used their club nicknames when doing the crossbar challenge on Soccer AM. Samba introduced himself as King Kong on that.

Was quite funny Here is the link

Brilliant - first time I have seen that, very funny indeed ! Nelsens shot is awful, nicknames are hilarious ! sorry if this has gone off topic !

I hear that the guys from Venkys have finally approved a budget for us (Within the last 24 hours, yes, really.)

Might open things up a lot, but from what I hear, don't expect to win any bets from William Hill.... :unsure:

It was yesterday actually, thats why I repeatedly asked why no bids had been submitted!!

The same Billy McKinlay that faked injury ALLEDGEDLY, and held the club to ransom whilst his contract ran out :angry:

They'd never have him back I'm sure of that.

I forgot about that, I think most fans wouldn't be too worried about that this long after anyway - do you? He was never my favourite player either, kept a Lars Bohinen full of flair out of the team :-) That upsets Lars to this days.

So the guaranteed £5m total for all players plus the bid for Ronaldinho that won't succeed. Not enough, but better than under the trust.

Booo Venky's out ;)

Well this is where JW comes into his own and really has to crunch the pennies.

I hope they are just holding the resources back for the summer to spend bigger, but I get a nasty feeling that this is it and the Ronaldinho bid was purely publicity and no real intent behind it at all.

Cheers dude, just think some people on here need to get things in perspective.

We are over acheiving in the league without a doubt given our squad,injuries,take over etc.

We have a young manager in who is tryng to get us playing positive attacking football.

Owners who, admittedly have gone about certain things in the wrong way, but hopefully they will learn from the errors, and they genuinely want to invest and develop us into a topsidenot only in the PL, but in europe as well.

We have funds to compete in the transfer market, you can say what you like about the Ronnie saga, but they were willing to stump up over 20million for him. They have confirmed in interviews money is available, and players are been looked at.

What more do people want? We all want players in as quickly as possible, but we all want players who are going to improve on what we already have, and even though there is cash to spend, we still dont want to start paying over the odds for players.

Look at Man City for example, pay silly money for some fairly average players, not to mention salaries, and all of a sudden any player they go for the price goes up immediately. Same happened with Chelsea when Roman bought the club.

I agree but let's not get into the 'over-achieving' mentality. What does 'over-achieving' mean anyway? Let's keep our eye on how players are performing on the pitch. Player value reflects what the market will pay - i.e. how keen the buyers are - and this doesn't necessarily reflect the player's ability. Just his value to the clubs at the time.

Rovers deserve to be where they are because the players are won the points.

'Over-achieving' is about as accurate a term as a 'marquee' signing.

With all due respect to the ITK's on here, even if the leaks were coming from as high as possible within the club, their hardly going to leak 10-20-30m are they.

It would be all over the papers tomorrow .................... we all know the outcome of that.

Very good point.

I hope they are just holding the resources back for the summer to spend bigger, but I get a nasty feeling that this is it and the Ronaldinho bid was purely publicity and no real intent behind it at all.

Agree.

I like to consider myself a "glass half full" person normally. I'm also a realist though and something about this whole takeover/transfer window business just sets my teeth on edge - gut feeling, six sense, paranoia even - call it what you will, but for me, I am of the opinion the Ronaldinho thing was nothing more than a publicity stunt. Most companies would be happy paying 40 million quid in return for a football club in one of the top leagues in the world and global "brand" recognition (even if only relatively briefly).

Now before I get jumped on, I base that on nothing more than my own feelings and a quote from Mrs Desai almost immediately (or maybe just before the takeover), which allegedly said "I feel that the Venky's brand will get an immediate recognition if we take over this club, and that is the main reason why we are doing this".

I'd love to believe Venky's have a pot load of rupees to spend (and by that I mean more than 5 million quids worth) and at times find myself getting excited and not a little carried away by thoughts of having a world player of the year gracing our turf on a Saturday afternoon and I would dearly, dearly love to eat a huge helping of humble pie and be proved wrong - but nothing that Venkys have said or done thus far has convinced me otherwise.

All that said, on the upside, we're now talking about BUYING players in a transfer window nowadays, not flogging our latest superstar to the highest bidder who then leaves for a huge chunk of cash (which then gets absorbed) and whose career then starts to move inexplicably backwards. At the end of the transfer window, I'll be happy with a new midfielder - be that Barton, Adam or whoever, maybe a decent loanee and a bit of decent football being played in between - I'll be VERY pleasantly surprised if we end up with more than that.

I know it's still early in the window yet but until I see some cheques being written I won't be looping the loop just yet.

Steve Kean is convinced he's going to be bringing in 3 or 4 players, surely looking at the players we have been must mean we have more than that.

I really hope that's the case. I do know that our owners were genuinely under the impression that £5,000,000 was a large amount of money. I've heard that there have been lots of arguments in the past few weeks (From 5 or 6 different people.)

I'm considering everything as a rumour until February 1st.

All that said, on the upside, we're now talking about BUYING players in a transfer window nowadays, not flogging our latest superstar to the highest bidder who then leaves for a huge chunk of cash (which then gets absorbed) and whose career then starts to move inexplicably backwards.

.. when we're only remotely close of LOANING Santa Cruz and selling our second highest asset, Samba (and there were talks of selling our highest asset Jones, but his injury stopped that).

Archived