BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jermaine Jones

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looked to me to be in the Rover's area but on several viewings of the incident it didn't look to be a free kick or penalty, he makes contact with the ball.

Tackle from behind + it took you several viewings to come to that conclusion.

Stone wall penalty. West Brom are going to have to learn to appeal.

Very happy with Jones though. Excited about him.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one I think...

:)

Well, maybe...but you are most certainly wrong, it's as blatant a foul as you'll ever see! Ball or no ball (personally I don't think he touched it), you can't go through the player to get the ball.

Got to love forums, saying that wasn't a foul :lol:

Maybe not 30 years ago, but in todays game, that's a foul 100 times out of 100. Whether he wins the ball is completely irrelevant.

Still, i'm loving someone who can put some bit into our midfield, as the chap who sits next to me often used to say "We couldn't tackle a chicken dinner"

Just shows how soft the game has become

This is what I was alluding to...

These days yeh I'll give you that it could / should have been a foul but 20-30 years ago it would have been perfectly acceptable to tackle in that position and win the ball.

Instead of 20 players dancing around like a bunch of fairies being frightened to knock a hair out of place.

:)

Was really impressed with him, great tackler, composed on the ball, intelligent player as well. His foul on Odemwingie was definitely a pen but that's about the only thing he did wrong. Could be a very good signing, compliments Dunn very well and gives us the bite in midfield we've been lacking since Savage.

what penalty? :P Had a good debut, nervy start, but settled very well. didnt lose focus, and kept to what he was instructed to do.

He made a few runs forward, made the pass and then sat back. I would like to see him continue his run, instead of holding his position. Glad we have a bit of steel in midfield, and it certainly helped Dunny to go and do what he had to do.

• 2 weeks later...

“Early days” however thought he looked particularly slow last night & likes his reckless challenges – couple of nice passes including one through ball.

Can see the potential however does not look like a £10 million player at the moment, obviously needs time though……

10m player he never was and never will be. A good defensive midfielder who breaks up play and is better than anyone else at the club at it he may well become. To say that says too much about his quality or lack of would be moot. Reserve judgment after he has played enough games.

“Early days” however thought he looked particularly slow last night & likes his reckless challenges – couple of nice passes including one through ball.

Can see the potential however does not look like a £10 million player at the moment, obviously needs time though……

Of course he's not a £10m player. Not unless we're going off Carroll/Torres standards.

He does his job well. He protects the back four and provides the midfield with some stability. Everyone else in that diamond runs wherever they want, he allows them to do it without leaving the team completely exposed.

Hopefully that back injury isn't anything serious - we're a much worse team without him. Though N'Zonzi looked useful again when he came on, so he could play a similar role to Jones - though without the crunching tackles.

Of course he's not a £10m player. Not unless we're going off Carroll/Torres standards.

He does his job well. He protects the back four and provides the midfield with some stability. Everyone else in that diamond runs wherever they want, he allows them to do it without leaving the team completely exposed.

Hopefully that back injury isn't anything serious - we're a much worse team without him. Though N'Zonzi looked useful again when he came on, so he could play a similar role to Jones - though without the crunching tackles.

Indeed, only his second game in the premier league too, he can only get better I reckon.

Needs some time to settle into the team and learn how the team plays thats all.

N'Zonzi disappoints me to be honest through, his passing is sideways or backwards and he never seems to get a decent tackle in. I would just like to see a bit more urgency and grit from him.

As opposed to Andrews who gives the ball away in dangerous areas.

I thought Jones was as good as he was bad last night, his positioning was largely good and did well defenisively on the whole. He made one or two decent forward passes but was also caught in posession on a few occasions, I think so far he has been worth a 6/10 in both games. Some good, some bad. I think once he has fully adjusted to the pace of the game he will be a steady performer who gives the other midfielders license to roam.

I thought N'Zonzi looked composed and quite at home with the ball at his feet when he came on whereas I thought he looked poor in possession the few minutes he had against WBA, few more games and I can see him and Jones anchoring the midfield together in a 4-2-3-1.

Archived