BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jermaine Jones

I don't think it's a coincidence that Dunn has looked much improved in his last two league games now Jones is in midfield.

Spot on, wasn't Jermaine Jones' best game last night but he sure covers a lot of ground and grafts hard, allowing Dunn to push up and use the ball where he's most effective near the opposition penalty box. Got to give Jones time, once he settles in more and gets used to the style of the Premier League he will be a solid player for us.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spot on, wasn't Jermaine Jones' best game last night but he sure covers a lot of ground and grafts hard, allowing Dunn to push up and use the ball where he's most effective near the opposition penalty box. Got to give Jones time, once he settles in more and gets used to the style of the Premier League he will be a solid player for us.

Agreed.

He does the job we have needed to be done for a long time, I think once he gets his match fitness, we'll see a lot more from this guy, I thought his positioning was spot on, which is also a good sign.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Dunn has looked much improved in his last two league games now Jones is in midfield.

Dunn obviously feels far more comfortable with Jones behind him than the other options we have.

He's done alright in his first two games and people seem to be forgetting prior to that he hadn't played since the end of November. Once he adapts to the pace and get his match fitness back hopefully he'll start showing a bit more.

Maybe it's harsh to judge Jones until he's had half a dozen games or so to regain full match fitness but I've seen nothing from him so far in his opening two performances to suggest he's a good player or that it will be worth signing him on a permanent basis.

Hope he can turn it round as he acclimatises to the pace of the PL.

Maybe it's harsh to judge Jones until he's had half a dozen games or so to regain full match fitness but I've seen nothing from him so far in his opening two performances to suggest he's a good player or that it will be worth signing him on a permanent basis.

Really? He likes to put a foot in and can pull a decent pass (wonderful set-up for Diouf on Wednesday), but he's looked a little raw, probably due to his lack of match-fitness. And like I said, Dunn looks better with him in the side.

• Backroom

Wonder if he will give away another free kick on the edge of the box today?

Don't worry if he doesn't I'm sure Samba will concede one extra for him

I am hoping its a case of him not being fully up to PL fitness levels yet. There are signs of a very good player as well as him not being quite in the right position on a number of occasions.

I think Jones would play better in a 4-5-1 formation, in the diamond formation and the way we are pushing up on the opposition, Jones, like our defence, is being pulled out of position, if we are on the offensive, we have got to be aware of the sucker punch, Wigans goals came from breaks wher we had lost possession and our shape was lost with people all over the park, we must have discipline and it has to be throughout the team.

I am hoping its a case of him not being fully up to PL fitness levels yet. There are signs of a very good player as well as him not being quite in the right position on a number of occasions.

I hope so too! I just don't know or understand how kean would have known of this player prior to us signing him! What signs are there so far? He just looks like a bog standard midfielder to me with a lengthy injury record! Far from convinced yet!

From Kean’s comments, Jones is a box to box midfielder and likes to go forward so possibly not the best for the sitting/holding role.

Kean also thought we'd signed the new Gabriel Batistuta in Formica, which has been quashed by everyone and anyone who has actually seen him play, so I wouldn't take his word as gospel regarding a players strengths.

The process of identifying players for the window was that Kean gathered all the scouts together and they produced a list of options for each position that was deemed necessary to fill. They were then assessed as to best, second best etc. I believe the list went past Jerome Anderson who struck one, possibly two off and I don't know whether he added some of his own on but guess he must have done.

There was a period of stasis until 7 January as JW would not commit to signings until there was a firm budget framework- he didn't want to get caught having been told "just get the signings done, the budget is flexible" and then find there was no money for other key positions and I understand Jerome Anderson was similarly cautious as he had been given a free hand as well but no clarity on numbers.

Once a budget was given then the process slipped into gear with JW told to get RSC. When he was given OK to pay the City wages in full he tied them down with a return clause in the event of RSC not avoiding serious injury which is why the medical for RSC was routine rather than forensic. City carry that risk, not us.

So Jones was probably a product of the Rovers scouting meeting, RSC certainly was because he topped Sam's shopping list as well, Rochina and Formica might be intros from Jerome Anderson but I believe Rovers have scouts in those territories who had been very aware of both of them. Of course there was the Barca lad who got injured so Jones might have been plan B for the position he came into.

Kean also thought we'd signed the new Gabriel Batistuta in Formica, which has been quashed by everyone and anyone who has actually seen him play, so I wouldn't take his word as gospel regarding a players strengths.

yeah good point that was an odd comment, he more like an Ortega I believe or youtube suggests and nothing like Batistuta who was a goal scoring machine.

Ouch, bit harsh on Kentaro Kean!

I'd say his top feature is that him playing reduces the chance of N'Zonzi playing, I've never seen a professional footballer more uncomfortable on the ball in my life and I bring Keith into that. Sorry if my N'Zonzi bashing has gone off topic my point is purely Jones looks like he has SOME footballing ability.

Archived