BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Juan Roman Riquelme

Published: Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Juan For Rovers

by BRFCS News

Multiple sources have confirmed to BRFCS.com that Rovers have been offered the chance to sign legendary Argentinean midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme. Sources have indicated that the player is interested in moving to Rovers, should the club choose to pursue this. Sources have also revealed that initial talks between Rovers' representatives and Riquelme’s representatives have taken place.

Riquelme is regarded as one of the most technically gifted players in recent history and would certainly represent a coup for the club as well as a clear statement of intent from Venky’s, particularly in light of the recent failed attempts to sign Ronaldinho and Beckham.

Rovers' new owners have indicated in recent interviews that they are looking to bring in a high profile player to the club and Argentinean playmaker Riquelme would certainly fit the bill. Indeed co-owner Balaji Rao told The Times of India this week “I assure you we’ll get a ‘big name’ playing for us pretty soon.”

There will be a lot more on this developing story tomorrow as we believe that this story is going to be covered in greater depth tomorrow morning in the Lancashire Telegraph with on-the-record comments from key sources.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say my footballing knowledge is lacking for I can't recall why exactly Riquelme is considered a "legendary" player or one of the best in his generation. In the few games I've seen him for Villeral he has been good...but he is as far from the likes of Beckham and Ronaldhinho as you can get, both in terms of popularity and skill.

It must be.

He was far, far beyond Beckham's skill level. His main weaknesses had tended to be falling out with people quite a lot and needing the team to be built around him to get the best out of him.

Sure Barca paid about £20m to bring him over from Boca when he was about 19-20.

It must be.

He was far, far beyond Beckham's skill level. His main weaknesses had tended to be falling out with people quite a lot and needing the team to be built around him to get the best out of him.

Sure Barca paid about £20m to bring him over from Boca when he was about 19-20.

Beckham has been a crucial component of Real Madrid and Manchester United's league winning teams, as well as the Champions League. And there were some years where he single-handedly carried the national team on his back. Riquelme's highest accomplishments are 2-3 good seasons at a decent European club.

Beckham more skill than Riquelme? The guy when he is on the ball, will unlock a defence with 1 simple pass.

Imo, he is a player who walks and plays football. When you talk about a player who walks and plays, then you know he is good. Toogs was like that, where he might have been slow, but give him the ball, and he will create a chance or chances. Sav was Tugay's engine, where he would do the leg work, while Toogs would be allowed to use his abiliy without having to worry about running too much.

Jermaine Jones, could be the perfect foil for Riquelme. Would do the hard work, break up play, and bring the likes of Hoilett, Olsson, JRR and Kalinic into play.

Would you rather have the Red Cross favourite son(Grella) and Pointy(Andrews), or Riquelme and Jones in midfield?

I think that sounds great news, i dont understand why so many people moan all time if we try to get "big"name but who is not beckham or ronaldinho

I never ever in my mind cant thinking these kind of big name players,days when we had midfielders like B.ferguson,Mckinley,perez,N.marker and K.Andrews lol..

:lol:

Getting excited about this. JRR is a player who was never known for his pace so there's no question of him losing his legs.

In fact, i think if not for messi raising the bar so ridiculously high, we'll probably all be talking about him as the best Argentinian No 10 since Maradona.

On a separate note, i hoped we have not jinxed this deal by giving JRR his own thread. The Ronaldinho talk seems to die down after we started a thread for him :P

Bloody hell, some of the comments jeez. The guy could have a broken leg and still be twice the player we currently have in the middle of the park.

Let's be honest 4 or 5 years ago we couldn't have got him for any money, now similar to Salgado, we have an opportunity to sign a player who can on his day destroy defences with a single through ball and we shouldn't take an opportunity to sign him if available?

What the hell are some of you smoking.

The real question enough is whether he is "blingy" enough for his current $5m to be outbid from Balaji's stars budget. The article is all about Riquelme being offered to Rovers- not us chasing him in the way Balaji went after Beckham, Ronaldinho and is still/was chasing Maradona.

Most football fans go weak at the knees over how good Riquelme is when he is fit but does Riquelme ring the tills in Pune?

I think Riquelme is a football connoisseur's footballer. Not a marketing firm's dream ticket.

However, can he hack it here at this age? Not too sure? He is an emotional, and moody character, very reserved. At his best, he was considered one of the top 5-10 players in the world. A genius. His downfall was that he was not always in the mood to perform.

TBF, I dont think its overhyped news when one of the best players ever (at least one of the best Argentina have produced) is being linked to Blackburn, at the same age that Tugay joined us (31-32). Could work. But he would have his work cut out to settle and be effective.

Too old, too slow.... maybe 4 or 5 years ago?

How old was Tugay? Shoddy signing him, one paced and 31, will never make it.

Would of took him 4 or 5 years ago? Well he was at Villarreal playing champions league football.

Seriously what is it with some fans? Are people just blind and thick? He is an outstanding footballer who would walk into our midfild. Are people seriously saying Dunn, Gamst, Goulon, Nzonzi, Andrews, Grella are better than Riquelme.

Id understand if we was still under the trust we a pittence, but our owners can afford to make a mistake (which i doubt he would be).

Archived