BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Juan Roman Riquelme

Big name, past it, way too slow Riquelme.

Four or five years ago maybe, but definitely not now, what a waste of everyones time.

Got to ask is Billy Smart advising Rovers in dreaming up these names.

You must have watched him on a regular basis in recent times then?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loan deal, nothing to lose everything to gain.

Saw him play a couple of times last season, scored if memory serves me correctly, still looked a decent player, but not sure of the standard of Argentinean football is anywhere near the premiership, much slower also.

If Kean thinks he’ll do a job that’s ok by me, typical Allardyce type signing, which is ironic.

It must be.

He was far, far beyond Beckham's skill level. His main weaknesses had tended to be falling out with people quite a lot and needing the team to be built around him to get the best out of him.

Sure Barca paid about £20m to bring him over from Boca when he was about 19-20.

He actually went to Europe later, when he was 24-25. A bit of fitness work and he can do a job in the PL I'm sure. Riquelme IS a marquee signing, a cult hero to a lot of football fans and it will surely across attention across the globe. Not sure how anyone can put a negative spin to it - it won't affect other signings.

Time for EHD to give up the no. 10, it'll be the first shirt I buy with print on the back in almost 20 years of supporting Rovers.

Wonder if Kean will fly down to BA for his chat, or if Riquelme will be coming to England soon to have a look. I think he was offered around during the summer as well with no takers, correct?

Refuse to excited about this deal yet.....

There is no doubting the man’s talents, he has more talent in one foot than the entire of our midfield. And that’s not being disrespectful.....and for players like him – 32 isnt a problem. Tugay was 31....these type of players don’t run around for 90 minutes like idiots (Savage) – they stroll around and pick passes and take long range shots etc.

There is also no doubt he is HUGE in South America and also it would help to attract future South American stars here.

Depending on the deal, he would be worth a move…..but like I say, im not convinced the deal is even on.

Too old, too slow.... maybe 4 or 5 years ago?

How old was Tugay? Shoddy signing him, one paced and 31, will never make it.

Would of took him 4 or 5 years ago? Well he was at Villarreal playing champions league football.

Seriously what is it with some fans? Are people just blind and thick? He is an outstanding footballer who would walk into our midfild. Are people seriously saying Dunn, Gamst, Goulon, Nzonzi, Andrews, Grella are better than Riquelme.

Id understand if we was still under the trust we a pittence, but our owners can afford to make a mistake (which i doubt he would be).

exactly the type of comment that gets me really angry. I would not say any of them are better than Riquelme, but I also would not want us to sign him. now around about now your head must be spinning, thinking why would we not want to sign a player better than our best players in his position.

Well to me it is simple, its not down to the guy being hard work, although that should also be taken into account. for me the main reason has to be that there will be (maybe now, maybe in the future) better options for the team. Not necessarily BETTER players, but better options for the club.

Even when looking at getting in a marquee signing there will be better deals to be had in the future (this is just one transfer window, maybe in the summer or the summer after more players might be taking a look at us and want to come).

And with respect to the playing side of things, I am much more excited about the other players we are being linked with. I would rather sign a young player with something to prove, rather than a player who is here for a final pay-cheque.

all in all, this deal does not really excite me, it just looks as though we want a big name player, and are jumping at every single one of them, rather than waiting for the right one. I suppose the owners are stuck between a rock and a hard place, because everyone is going to judge them after this window, so they want to get some deals done.

I could understand if this was under the trust and we were looking to blow out 2 million budget on a gamble but Venky's have through some shrewd loan deals and looking at players like Formica on permenant signing what their position is.

People are acting so odd on this, we don't know under what terms (loan, permenant) he is to come in, if he is even interested and what other players Venky's and Kean have in mind to compliment his abilities, if he was the last signing we were going to make for the next three years I would be worried but that is obvioulsy not going to be the case. One of the best footballers of his generation and with ability that by far surpasses ANYTHING that teams outside of Champions League contention have in their midfield.

I was firmly in the pro allardice camp and know he did an incredible job for us,.

But just cast your minds back 3 months ago before we were sold and imagine what this transfer window would be like. Everything to lose and nothing to gain. Fiddling around taking a gamble on either an unheard of player, or fading star and potentially having to sell one of our star players.

Now look at the names we are being linked with. It's chalk and cheese.

It's the difference between getting excited about the football, versus just being content with a hard fought 3 points.

how many people on here used to say they would pay the match fee to just watch Tugay.

now we're being linked with one of the finest players the world has seen in the last 10 years. Sure - he's not in his prime, but then we are hardly going to attract the next Messi......yet!

Lets just keep grounded in reality and see this for what it is - an unbelievable coup if he pulls on the blue and white shirt and starts playing killer balls to the pace of hoillet, ollsen and mama diouf.

We dont have the midfield to play that type of pass at the moment, but we do have the players to get behind defenders and make the runs.

I am SO excited about this prospect....

I was firmly in the pro allardice camp and know he did an incredible job for us,.

But just cast your minds back 3 months ago before we were sold and imagine what this transfer window would be like. Everything to lose and nothing to gain. Fiddling around taking a gamble on either an unheard of player, or fading star and potentially having to sell one of our star players.

Now look at the names we are being linked with. It's chalk and cheese.

It's the difference between getting excited about the football, versus just being content with a hard fought 3 points.

how many people on here used to say they would pay the match fee to just watch Tugay.

now we're being linked with one of the finest players the world has seen in the last 10 years. Sure - he's not in his prime, but then we are hardly going to attract the next Messi......yet!

Lets just keep grounded in reality and see this for what it is - an unbelievable coup if he pulls on the blue and white shirt and starts playing killer balls to the pace of hoillet, ollsen and mama diouf.

We dont have the midfield to play that type of pass at the moment, but we do have the players to get behind defenders and make the runs.

I am SO excited about this prospect....

Absolutely.

Whilst we should treat the news with scepticism after recent events, its great to be in the mix once again, and the feel good factor is coming back.

I’ve not been as interested in Blackburn Rovers since Bellamy pulled on the blue and white, and I can speak for most in our circle also.

In the few games I've seen him for Villeral he has been good...but he is as far from the likes of Beckham and Ronaldhinho as you can get, both in terms of popularity and skill.

This really shows how much we hype up our own players. Beckham has never had a great amount of skill. That's why he never made it in the centre of midfield. He puts in crosses and long balls. He's also a model professional and a great role model. But he isn't, and never has been as talented as somebody like Riquelme.

This really shows how much we hype up our own players. Beckham has never had a great amount of skill. That's why he never made it in the centre of midfield. He puts in crosses and long balls. He's also a model professional and a great role model. But he isn't, and never has been as talented as somebody like Riquelme.

talent comes in many forms.

beckham didnt have the individual skill of riquelme, but he has won countles games for man u, real madrid and england through his combination of hard work, killer passing and positive effect on the players around him.

You can't really compare the 2.

People love to have a go at becks, mainly because of his lifestyle, but ona footballing level, he's been at the top of the game for the past 14 years

Technique is not the only barometer by which to judge a footballer.

Beckham would have got into any team in the world in his prime. Not for his dribbling technique, but for his range of passing and determination.

I really like Riquelme and I would like to sign him, but I'm

not sure he would be the most inspirational player if we ever found ourselves losing at Blackpool on a rainy Tuesday night. I don't think that criticism could be directed at Beckham

exactly the type of comment that gets me really angry. I would not say any of them are better than Riquelme, but I also would not want us to sign him. now around about now your head must be spinning, thinking why would we not want to sign a player better than our best players in his position.

Well to me it is simple, its not down to the guy being hard work, although that should also be taken into account. for me the main reason has to be that there will be (maybe now, maybe in the future) better options for the team. Not necessarily BETTER players, but better options for the club.

Even when looking at getting in a marquee signing there will be better deals to be had in the future (this is just one transfer window, maybe in the summer or the summer after more players might be taking a look at us and want to come).

And with respect to the playing side of things, I am much more excited about the other players we are being linked with. I would rather sign a young player with something to prove, rather than a player who is here for a final pay-cheque.

all in all, this deal does not really excite me, it just looks as though we want a big name player, and are jumping at every single one of them, rather than waiting for the right one. I suppose the owners are stuck between a rock and a hard place, because everyone is going to judge them after this window, so they want to get some deals done.

Miserable sod. If that's the sort of negative post you are going to come up with I'm glad you have only posted 6 times.

I'm amazed how many are comparing JRR to Tugay - Tugay was nowhere near this level of a player - if Tugay was THAT good why did he spend so long at second and third rate clubs like us & Rangers??

I was a massive Tugay fan - still am - he was so much better than anything we have seen in midfield for a hell of a long time.

BUT if you think Tugay was good - well, prepare to be dazzled!!!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong I'm not having a dig at Beckham's value to a side, in the past or present. But to suggest that he is more talented than Riquelme is a bit ridiculous.

And hard work can't come under the talent bracket. Talent is God given.

Riquelme would be a luxury player and generally luxury players will go missing from time to time by nature.

Regardless of whether or not it happens...you got to admit its exciting to see our clubs linked to top players again, whether its ageing superstars or upcoming hot talent.

Regardless of who's in by weekend, im sure there will be much more of a Buzz around Ewood on Sunday.

Good times back on the horizon.

We have been crying out for a playmaker since Tugay hung up his boots. Dunn played the role nicely when fit last season, now he looks a shadow of his former self. Gamst has dropped into the role and has done it with moderate success. We now have a chance to pick up an outstanding playmaker, with fantastic vision and passing skills, who is also a wonderful free kick taker. We have enough players in the side to do running and donkey work, we lack a touch of class and cutting edge. Maybe comparing Riquelme to Pedersen and Dunn would be more apt, which is the best passer of the ball out of all 3? Which is the most creative? Which is the better set piece taker? Which of 3 is the biggest goal threat? There is one answer for all of those questions and it isnt Dunn or Pedersen.

Who knows what the deal is? Short term loan maybe? And what any young aspiring midfielder wouldn’t want to train and learn from Riquelme?

See, this is the type of comment that gets me angry. So young players are hungry with a point to prove and old players are picking up a pay cheque? You want me to reel off examples of young players leaving to sit on the bench and picking up a pay cheque? Want me to reel off a list of players who have come to the premiership in their 'twlight' years and lit up the team and the league? As I say, totally stupid assumption to make.

all in all, this deal does not really excite me, it just looks as though we want a big name player, and are jumping at every single one of them, rather than waiting for the right one. I suppose the owners are stuck between a rock and a hard place, because everyone is going to judge them after this window, so they want to get some deals done

Not everyone, just the mob squad who are looking to pick holes in their every move.

And anyway, the deal sounds far off and only under consideration, lets not jump the gun. But if Kean thinks he is right after speaking with the player and looking to fit him in the side I will back kean 100%. If it doesn't excite you then fair enough, everyone has their opinion but your post is just full of assumptions on what and if might happen. He is a fine footballer and I will judge him on that, leave the football politics to those who are paid to worry about it.

riquelme is in the twilight of his career and his determinaton/mental toughness is something i question quite a bit. How is he gonna deal with the physical english game, with his less then stellar physical attributes.? how is he gonna take it, when he gets a rough treatment, by much more physical players then he is used to.? Does he still have the same annoying attitude and primadonna like behaviour.? Is he only here for the last payday.?

to me, there are just a tad to many questiuonmarks about this arrival, but im ready to be proven wrong and hopefully i am.

Its not just a question of comparing riquelme to dunn/andrews etc, its a matter of comparing riquelme to what we could attarct, with the same amount of cash.

hopefully he will be a success and will provide us with some flair, creativity and passsing not seen in a long time, but have my doubts.

Don't get me wrong I'm not having a dig at Beckham's value to a side, in the past or present. But to suggest that he is more talented than Riquelme is a bit ridiculous.

And hard work can't come under the talent bracket. Talent is God given.

Riquelme would be a luxury player and generally luxury players will go missing from time to time by nature.

Disagree 100%, without the hard work, without putting in a real shift, you will never get the opportunity for your talent to shine through, there is a reason, in an inferior league, he has only played two games this season.

Becks was a good player, not technically gifted, but recognised his limitations, played to his strengths and by discipline, not trying to do things he couldnt do, became a great player with drive, determination, attitude and passion, my worry is this, Riquelme without the right attitude will be a very expensive luxury.

Miserable sod. If that's the sort of negative post you are going to come up with I'm glad you have only posted 6 times.

Ha, something I cant say I have heard to many times before.

Miserable for being excited about the young players we are being linked with.

Miserable for thinking that although Riquelme is a good player, there might actually be better players for us in the future.

Miserable for thinking that maybe signing a guy who may not be coming to england for the best of reasons and could stunt the growth of some of the players we have been linked to.

Miserable for thinking that the Marquee signing could be a better deal for the club (both a current star, who can sell us world wide) in the next couple of seasons, rather than just jumping on the first big name player that comes up.

So basically I am miserable to think that we could build on a team with the likes of the players we have been linked to, without having a big named player THIS month. sometimes I do not get people like you, if what the owners have said is true, they are in this for the long run. so why do we need to take such a short run view of things and sign a guy who may be better than the players we have currently, but may stop first team chances of the young lads we are linked with (formica, vasquez and such). who is to say a better deal might not come along in the summer, but we might not be able to take it up due to already having our marquee man.

sorry for being hopeful about the future. sorry for thinking we could actually benefit from waiting a little longer.

ill put all these miserable thoughts in a jar and lock them up.

Disagree 100%, without the hard work, without putting in a real shift, you will never get the opportunity for your talent to shine through, there is a reason, in an inferior league, he has only played two games this season.

Becks was a good player, not technically gifted, but recognised his limitations, played to his strengths and by discipline, not trying to do things he couldnt do, became a great player with drive, determination, attitude and passion, my worry is this, Riquelme without the right attitude will be a very expensive luxury.

Hard work is a completely different atribute to talent though isn't it. And there is a reason for him only playing 2 games or whatever this season. He's been injured. Seriously, don't insinuate without doing the most minor amount of research.

His injuries are my only major concern but, depending on how much we're willing to spend on him, surely it's worth the risk. I can't really comment on his attitude because I don't know the details (which is something that doesn't stop a lot of people on here).

And Beckham tried to make the transition to being a central midfielder at Real Madrid and didn't cut the mustard.

Archived