BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Aston Villa FA Cup game

philipl

There was a looming grim inevitability about the dull 4th Round Draw. Six balls left in the bag (well, dish washer contraption) and we are not yet drawn- and neither had Villa.

So for the seeming gazillionth time, it is Villa v Rovers and the ante-cedents are not good. In 2010, we lost every Cup game we played against Villa (two legged Carling semi-final and an FA Cup 3rd round game at Villa Park). But we have won the last three League encounters for which we are very grateful for the 9 points and the timing of them because every win came at vital moments- rescuing us from slides or securing that remuneratively vital 10th position.

So with 13 wins between us (but none in my life time), which of these old FA Cup warhorses will be in the hat for the 5th Round?

I suspect both teams will be as this has draw written all over it. Villa will be buoyed by beating City but will be without cup-tied Darren Bent whilst Houllier has a track record of eccentric FA Cup selections although as the Cup is the only realistic chance of Villa getting anything from this season, I expect they will be pretty strong. Rovers have a rapidly emptying treatment room plus both RSC and JJ available so I expect Steve Kean to send out a team capable of winning it.

However, for once an FA Cup replay will not be a congestion disaster for Rovers. We have got no games in hand in the League thanks to the heroics of the snow clearers, plus all the recoverers and Emerton likely to be available and in need of competitive action, an extra real game in early February could actually be beneficial to Rovers.

Only problem- it would be Villa again... and there is a League trip to Villa Park just around the corner as well...

1-1 and don't forget to set your alarm clock for the early kick-off!

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am an incurable romantic where the FA Cup is concerned.

This could be our year, against all the odds, after all that has happened.

We will win at villa on Saturday.

Get some dosh on at 66/1. At tenner at those odds will just about cover a very nice weekend in May!!!

Absolutely anything could happen.

Surprises me to say it as over the last couple of years away games have been filled with dread. I guess that's the beauty of football under the new manager, even if there could be just as many troughs and just as little peaks away from home, at least I'm not resigned to it long before kick-off.

Aston Villa 2-1 Blakburn Rovers

A lack of this cup run wouldn't be a bad thing, although I would prefer to stay in. I just want to see a promising performance and no injuries or suspensions.

Anyone remember when we played them in the 3rd round (1989 or 1990 cant remember exactly). Think we drew 2-2 at home in a classic and then we lost the replay 3-1. Andy Kenndyscored an absolute screamer in first minute (cue John Moston saying "If Marco Van Basten scored that we'd be seeing it every week." Frank Stapleton missed a pen which would've put us 2-1 up. Gutted that night! Think that Lanky Ian Ormandroyd scored a couple. Remember him?

2-1 to Rovers on Saturday.

Asked who I wanted in the draw I said "anyone but Villa". As we seem to be stuck with them I'll be going. Reluctantly.

If Steve Kean is one thing so far it's lucky. Long may that continue. I reckon it'll be one of those where they batter us and we win 2-0 :rover: COYB

Archived