BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs Preview 2-2-2011

colin

I see that Thenodrog is still the only member who likes to make derogatory reference to a person's race or gender. I also see that he still gets away with it like a dribbling, incontinent old grandad in the corner who 'doesn't know any better' or because 'he's from that generation, he doesn't mean any offence'....

Moderators apparently accept these offensive offerings (yes, I know these examples are not his worst) as they must be worried about the consequences of taking action, but if a young lad swore or used offensive language on here, the Mods would have no problem taking disciplinary action.

Thenodrog posts offensive comments often with racist and sexist content, has done for years, so I am making an official complaint.

What is acceptable in referring to someones gender for no better reason than to pretend to be making a clever or insightful comment or joke? No-one else does it, for reasons that were repeatedly discussed on here years ago.

It's not acceptable and I cannot see why Moderators are paralysed to act.

Happy for this to be made a new topic if it doesn't sit comfortably on this Spurs thread.

Any views?

I dont see anything wrong with Thenodrogs post.

We do act, I can only assume you havent read the 'New Moderators' thread for you to think that.

Please let not make this a thread on if Thenodrog gets special treatment, I assure you he doesnt.

Daz

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit unlucky last night but, few observations:

- In the last 2 games (Villa/Spurs), Kean has to be to blame for breaking some of the momentum we had built up by way of his team selections. As soon as I heard that Roberts and ANdrews were starting it killed off a lot of the excitement for the game for me. We're slipping back into the poor unimaginative team selections of Big Sam (in some games).

- What has Roberts done to deserve a starting spot? Kalinic has been putting the ball in the net and linking up well with Mama and Junior. Roberts just doesn't score enough to be our main striker.

- Andrews should not be booed, but he should not be anywhere near the team. It really is a mystery why he keeps getting picked by Ince, Sam and now Kean when if you asked 20,000 people in teh ground they would not put him in the team. His selection shows there will still have a massive need for another midfielder in summer.

And you don't wind people up bucky? :rolleyes:

You are another of poor intellect and non existent sense of humour bucky. Your life must be dull and flat. Worse still for you you prob have another 40 years of dross stretching endlessly in front of you.

btw After their first showing before the WHU match I thought SDM's was right up there with my invention of nickoteens. btw Have you written to Danny Boyle with your thoughts on the title? You never know maybe he'll change it if you ask. :P

I see.

You were actually using it in a positive way to highlight how fantastic it is that they have become so successful from such humble beginnings.

My apologies, I thought you were using it in a negative way. I didn't realise you were in full support of Venky's.

Bit unlucky last night but, few observations:

- In the last 2 games (Villa/Spurs), Kean has to be to blame for breaking some of the momentum we had built up by way of his team selections. As soon as I heard that Roberts and ANdrews were starting it killed off a lot of the excitement for the game for me. We're slipping back into the poor unimaginative team selections of Big Sam (in some games).

- What has Roberts done to deserve a starting spot? Kalinic has been putting the ball in the net and linking up well with Mama and Junior. Roberts just doesn't score enough to be our main striker.

- Andrews should not be booed, but he should not be anywhere near the team. It really is a mystery why he keeps getting picked by Ince, Sam and now Kean when if you asked 20,000 people in teh ground they would not put him in the team. His selection shows there will still have a massive need for another midfielder in summer.

See this is the problem that I have when people assess the manager purely on results. There was nothing wrong with the team yesterday. They played well. One early defensive mistake by a player who would have always started the game resulted in the only goal. We could have easily scored and on another day would have scored more than one. We created the better chances, we created more chances and we were unlucky to walk away with nothing.

If that starts to happen regularly then questions would have to be asked, but this is 20/20 knee-jerk analysis and it is totally pointless.

If we play like that consistently we will win far more than we lose. That's the key.

If Gomes wasn't on such fine form we would have one that game. It wasn't just the saves it was the way he knocked every save away from our players. Truly unlucky but play like that against Wigan and we will get three points.

On the Andrews thing it inst that he's the worst player iv ever seen but the amount of times he slowed down quick breaks last night was shocking. He needs to learn to pass and move rather than pass stop look around and pass. He shouldn't be a starter anyway.

See this is the problem that I have when people assess the manager purely on results. There was nothing wrong with the team yesterday. They played well. One early defensive mistake by a player who would have always started the game resulted in the only goal. We could have easily scored and on another day would have scored more than one. We created the better chances, we created more chances and we were unlucky to walk away with nothing.

If that starts to happen regularly then questions would have to be asked, but this is 20/20 knee-jerk analysis and it is totally pointless.

If we play like that consistently we will win far more than we lose. That's the key.

I agree but I think selections of Roberts and Andrews just seem to be out of the blue, especially the latter and I think they are fair comments to make.

I'm not sure what they've done to justify a starting berth. Pedersen's had a couple of poor games perhaps but he offers a tangible goal threat that Andrews simply does not and will never do. With Jones in midfield it wasn't about sitting or protecting the back four and Pedersen has always done his fair share of tracking back, it's arguably the most consistent part of his game and he could readily have helped out with Lennon.

One could argue the performance would suggest they were effective but I've not read many positive opinions on their contribution to it.

So whilst I quite agree that if we play that game four times at that level, we would probably at least win twice, I think it's reasonable to debate Kean's selection as something that can possibly be improved.

Roberts would have been a good sub late in the game and that's the role I see for him although it doesn't sound like he missed any howlers to be fair.

Thought Hoilett and Olsen looked awesome. Lennon is good but Hoilett is better.

Robinson is in incredible form. Probably the best keeping I have seen whilst watching Rovers and I go back a few years. Pity he does not play on the international stage so that a wider audience could rate his talent.

The Spurs goal looked very soft from the far end of the ground.

Love Solgardo. Hard to explain exactly why but when Rovers were going through a quiet patch last night and belief was begining to wain, he was still doing his job and was full of belief and commitment. This was after having a hard time at times. Must be great to play with. Would loved to have seen him in his prime. ( Probably did but not tuned into his talents).

Love Solgardo. Hard to explain exactly why but when Rovers were going through a quiet patch last night and belief was begining to wain, he was still doing his job and was full of belief and commitment. This was after having a hard time at times. Must be great to play with. Would loved to have seen him in his prime. ( Probably did but not tuned into his talents).

The man can read the game like nobody else and I think he would carry on running even if he was having a heart attack. Hence we should sign him up till 2040.

Salgado was the epitomy of determination last night, he had a hard time with lennon yet later on in the first half he had a 50/50 challenge with Jenas and went straight through him. He demonstrates to and charges up the younger players. It is not Andrews fault that he was picked, it is the managers. There was no way he was going to be replaced and the crowd booing is just so anti productive. Give it and him a rest.

How can people say naive tactics, poor defending etc? We only let in 1 goal and å soft one. Problem was not introducing Kalinic at all.

Yeah, I don't get all this 'Kean plays too open'. Spurs scored with their first chance(thanks to Samba), and only tested Robinson a couple of times. Considering the talent they have in their side, we held up well.

But Kalinic shows himself to be ineffectual more often than not, Benjani was brilliant against Liverpool and hasn't deserved to be dropped.

Benjani was good for ONE GAME. Apart from that, he's been gash.

Kalinic has a scored a few this season and shown signs of blossoming under the new regime. Stop-starting our £6m investment isn't doing us any favours.

• Backroom

Yeah, I don't get all this 'Kean plays too open'. Spurs scored with their first chance(thanks to Samba), and only tested Robinson a couple of times. Considering the talent they have in their side, we held up well.

Benjani was good for ONE GAME. Apart from that, he's been gash.

Kalinic has a scored a few this season and shown signs of blossoming under the new regime. Stop-starting our £6m investment isn't doing us any favours.

Benjani was also really good against Chelsea so one and a half :P

I'm not having a go at most of the team, yes generally we did play well especially Junior, ollso on the offensive. But the fact we created so many chances and didn't score points to the forwards not being good enough to convert chances. At the end of the day we go no points from it.

The critique of the Roberts/Andrews selection is not knee jerk but a reaction to the last two games where we have been worse than before they were re-selected.

We created enough chances to have won last night but an on form Gomez put paid to that...I gave a wry smile when he slumped to the floor at the final whistle!.Sadly we just did not have that bit of quality to break them down and that mainly imo stemmed from our now infamous light weight midfield.Hopefully our Argie wonder kid will inject some much needed bite there soon,hopefully.

Not a bad performance on the whole and you can clearly see what Kean is trying to achieve with this side and yes,it IS a damn sight more entertaining these days!

Just one more comment I want to make and that's concerning the strange atmosphere I encountered last night....did too many of our fans

start the drinking early last night? :blink:.Booing,arguing amongst themselves nearly to fighting point in the BBE around near me? :wacko:

Was it me or did anyone else hear booing when Mrs Desai was introduced...I just hope it was me.

She was booed but very briefly, possibly one seconds worth. As soon as I saw her on the screen I cringed at the thought of all the morons who might voice their opinion, but fortunately it wasn't too bad. Still a shame when the owner who is looking to take the club forward should get booed. I was sure to clap after her message.

• Backroom

Isn't she Mrs Desai's daughter?

She was with her husband and her niece. For what it's worth I thought she looked quite comfortable and at ease and didn't hear any booing (apart from the KA brainless bunch)

Isn't she Mrs Desai's daughter?

Niece according to LT. I didn't hear any booing of Mrs desai, in fact most round me applauded, which was nice to hear. She may not have got it all right so far, but she clearly wants to get things right and is learning.

For all those wondering why Kalanic didn't start - has anyone seen his pro-zone stats ? Does anyone have first had knowledge of any niggles he may be carrying ?

Just wondered - as everyone seems to have an opinion.

Bit like the people who boo'ed when Dunn was taken off (clearly running on empty) - though they are probably the same people to question why he is left on and then picks up injuries ! I dare say a fair number of them boo'ed when Jones was taken off (though clearly injured) as well.

A lot of predictable nonsense on here. We deserved a result, when was the last time we deserved a point against Spurs? They had a better team than us, but we played very well, and the man of the match was their keeper.

People can be frustrated, but not angry. Some people on here know absolutely nothing about football.

Yeah, I was thinking that the other day.

Oh hi Tyrone, still stalking my posts?

Do you want me to send you some pictures so you can have a right good tug and get it out of your system? I can even create a twitter account if you like and I can tweet the ###### out of you?

I actually came away from ewood last night feeling incredibly frustrated that nothing had gone in, that we hadn't got one of those little flukes that every team sometimes needs just to get them going, that despite the fact that spurs hardly threatened it was them who had the goal, that managers seem to see something in Andrews that I and loads of other fans just can't see, but I wasn't bored; I wasn't frustrated by players who appeared to be scared at times of crossing the halfway line or who seemed not to recognise team mates. Losing to Spurs is nothing new - it happened under previous managers. I ended up feeling that I'd watched a performance at a pace, particularly in the earlier part of the game, that I wouldn't have believed possible a month or two ago, a performance that left me feeling that if we could just put it all together with someone on the end of those chances who was actually a goalscorer as oposed to a forward, we could easily give someone a right good beating. I didn't feel depressed as I did on occasions towards the end of Allardyce's reign when I sometimes used to feel "Is this all there is to look forward to at Ewood now?" even when we'd won and I was glad we'd got the points. Kean didn't get certain things right last night. He won't get everything right ever, although there'll be many times when he gets more right than wrong, but it's the change of atmosphere that is exhilarating, the feeling that good things are possible again. Now that might evaporate if performances and wins don't start to match up, but at the moment it feels better to be a Rovers supporter than at most times in the last few years. We needed Allardyce when we got him; he did what was asked of him, but my expectations were low and being lowered by the kind of matches I was watching. Not the supposed hoofball, but the predictability of it all, the knowing what you'd see most weeks before you turned up. I'm not sorry that feeling has gone. I'm not a Kean fan yet - he has a long way to go to persuade me he's a good manager - but for the moment he's doing ok.

Archived