BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs Preview 2-2-2011

colin

Blackburn Ender are you Ricky? :P Alright then if you want to be picky..... Ganst. ;)

btw Thats guideline 3 and 7 transgressed. 3 inadvertantly by me and 4 intentionally by you.

....... I only know that cos I've become a bloody expert on em recently. :rolleyes:

Gamst!! :P

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really can't believe some of the comments on here. We didn't play badly. We created chances. We SHOULD have scored. We didn't. In part down to some missed chances and in part down to some very good goalkeeping. It happens. We had more chances than Spurs (who really had 3 including the goal).

This "Spurs were there for the taking" nonsense is very confusing. Who exactly were they missing? Bale? That was very close to their best team and it had a lot of their best players in it, certainly enough that they had no excuses and it was very close to the Spurs team that played us off the park only a few months ago.

Sometimes in football you will play well and lose. Personally I enjoyed the performance. It was frustrating and I'm disappointed that we lost, but the 90 minutes of football provided plenty of pleasing moments and it was entertaining. I didn't realise that after a month or two we had suddenly transformed into a side that expects to beat a team that has made it to the knock-out stages of the Champions League.

I also don't understand why people are being so critical of Andrews. He wasn't the best player on the pitch and he never will be, but he was by no means responsible for the defeat. He did a good job and didn't deserve the boos. The only player who can really take any blame for the defeat is Samba, who got it all wrong when trying to defend for the goal.

More positives than negatives to take from that match.

I also don't understand why people are being so critical of Andrews. He wasn't the best player on the pitch and he never will be, but he was by no means responsible for the defeat. He did a good job and didn't deserve the boos. The only player who can really take any blame for the defeat is Samba, who got it all wrong when trying to defend for the goal.

Eddie---Samba made a mistake but he did lots of good things as he always does. Andrews wasn't the best player on the pitch----no, he was the worst. Its playing with ten men every game he starts. In fact its worse because he gets in the way.

I can't understand why you're not critical of him. Its not his fault of course, I blame the manager and the previous 2.

Jones was worse than Andrews last night, no doubt about it. Less effective going forward and less effective at breaking up play. Dunn did well until he was just too tired, which only took about 50 minutes. Andrews is a decent squad player and as soon as Jones has settled, N'Zonzi is fully fit and Formica has started playing that is exactly what he will be.

Jones was worse than Andrews last night, no doubt about it. Less effective going forward and less effective at breaking up play. Dunn did well until he was just too tired, which only took about 50 minutes. Andrews is a decent squad player and as soon as Jones has settled, N'Zonzi is fully fit and Formica has started playing that is exactly what he will be.

Never, no way, Jones made a few mistakes but he was head and shoulders above Andrews.

That clown is not fit to wear the shirt, as I said on the Andrews thread, Steve get rid!!!!!!

I didn't see the game so there's only so much I can say. I cannot, ever, understand the selection of Andrews if we have other players available who can walk but still.

AccuScore.com' date=' the leader in sports forecasting, has simulated this game thousands of times one play at a time and the game forecast below is based on these simulations.

There is a 25.7% chance of a draw. In simulations where the game is not a draw Tottenham Hotspur, at 47.8%, are heavy favorites to beat Blackburn Rovers who have just a 26.5% chance to win at home. Overall, the average simulation score is Tottenham Hotspur 1.7 to Blackburn Rovers 1.2. In simulation wins, Blackburn Rovers upsets Tottenham Hotspur by averaging 12.1 shots and 5.4 shots on goal. They average 2.3 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.6 in simulation losses.[/quote']

BBC says we had 17 attempts and 9 on target. Most comments I've read would suggest we were quite unlucky not to score and took positives from the performance. Spurs are not a champions league team for no reason and Crouch seems to have developed the unfortunate habit of scoring against us (4 goals in last three games).

As usual, various elements want to present the game in their own light because it suit's their biases towards the owners. It's tiresome. I think Kean quite legitimately merits come criticism on selection but it seems very difficult to discuss it rationally here at the moment.

Speaking of irrational;-

Actually alexanders, our leading scorer's been sent on loan to Rangers on the strict orders from Neil Warnock. A decision which has had the massed ranks of the Ewood know-nowts nodding wisely and uttering quips like 'don't let the door slam on you on the way out' as he departed.

You keep spouting this like it's a fact when the reality is it's nothing but your own conjecture. A pretty damn unlikely conjecture at that. I suppose Warnock works for Kentaro as well. :mellow:

I wouldn't be one to call you a "know-nowt" but if you're suggesting Diouf would have played yesterday instead of Hoillet then you're heading in that direction. His status is utterly irrelevant to last night's result.

Finally, whatever anyone thinks of Andrews, booing him at any point is utterly idiotic.

Samba made one mistake in that for the goal he tried to play the man and not the ball. Crouch did what he does well and got his hands on Samba's shoulders giving him a lift to head the goal. It is really unbelievable that he manages to get away with it quite as much as he does. Once Samba realised you must play the ball, he had Crouch sorted.

Andrews and the booing is a really sore point, why on earth these moronic people feel the need to boo our own player when he is on the field is totally alien to me. Is there a better way to give the opposition a lift?

I dont think so!!!

• Backroom

How can people say naive tactics, poor defending etc? We only let in 1 goal and å soft one. Problem was not introducing Kalinic at all.

But Kalinic shows himself to be ineffectual more often than not, Benjani was brilliant against Liverpool and hasn't deserved to be dropped.

Niko is a weird one he has games where he does nothing but fall over and some fawn over him, fact is we have 6 strikers now and it could be any 2 from those 6 starting, I imagine Sunday it may be Niko and Benjani as the two that started last night didn't take their chance although I thought MB Diouf looked lively throughout

I, along with others, totally disagree with the booing, no one in blue and white should be booed. It is however painfully clear Andrews offers nothing special, all the other midfielders, have the ability to potentially offer something special that could change the outcome of the game, be it a killer shot, pass, corner or even in MGPs case a throw in, this is my major frustration with him starting infront of others.

But Kalinic shows himself to be ineffectual more often than not, Benjani was brilliant against Liverpool and hasn't deserved to be dropped.

Niko is a weird one he has games where he does nothing but fall over and some fawn over him, fact is we have 6 strikers now and it could be any 2 from those 6 starting, I imagine Sunday it may be Niko and Benjani as the two that started last night didn't take their chance although I thought MB Diouf looked lively throughout

Whilst Niko does blow hot and cold, it should be quite obvious to Kean that he's the most likely striker to score a goal.

As you rightly say, Benjani doesn't deserve to be dropped. Even in the 5 minutes he was there, he showed some nifty footwork to move the ball wide for one of our late chances; more than Roberts managed.

Roberts has shown repeatedly for the last four years that he's a very effective substitute but a completely ineffective 90 minutes player.

If Kean wants to keep the 'feel good' factor at Ewood he can't keep starting Roberts and Andrews. As soon as the majority of fans see those names on the teamsheet spirits are dampened. For me it's accepting mediocrity from the start, neither are capable of much more over 90 minutes.

I’ve always been a fairly staunch Roberts supporter – however it’s getting painful watching him now – best used off the bench when he has a point to prove.

As for Andrews, works very hard however simply not good enough.

There was a film made in the 90's called 'White men can't jump'. Notwithstanding the fact that the title would have spread sheer terror amongst certain moderators of this site :rolleyes: big Chris Samba took just 4 minutes to smash that theory to smithereens and actually prove the opposite. One hideously bad moment coming on the back of very similar defending at Villa Park cost us all three points and our place in the FA Cup. Funny how the Blackburn End goons didn't see fit to boo him too but who am I to judge?

btw Anybody superstitious out there? Just like women on a warship I'm beginning to suspect that that our Joan is a jinx! Party and big screen for the MU away fixture and a personal appearence for the Spurs match and sweet FA to show for both. Maybe some have judged Andy and Richard too harshly? :unsure:

I see that Thenodrog is still the only member who likes to make derogatory reference to a person's race or gender. I also see that he still gets away with it like a dribbling, incontinent old grandad in the corner who 'doesn't know any better' or because 'he's from that generation, he doesn't mean any offence'....

Moderators apparently accept these offensive offerings (yes, I know these examples are not his worst) as they must be worried about the consequences of taking action, but if a young lad swore or used offensive language on here, the Mods would have no problem taking disciplinary action.

Thenodrog posts offensive comments often with racist and sexist content, has done for years, so I am making an official complaint.

What is acceptable in referring to someones gender for no better reason than to pretend to be making a clever or insightful comment or joke? No-one else does it, for reasons that were repeatedly discussed on here years ago.

It's not acceptable and I cannot see why Moderators are paralysed to act.

Happy for this to be made a new topic if it doesn't sit comfortably on this Spurs thread.

Any views?

Any views?

joke (jk)

n.

1. Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.

2. A mischievous trick; a prank.

3. An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.

4. Informal

a. Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality

b. An object of amusement or laughter; a laughingstock

Feeling very low.

Much as I despair of Keith Andrews, booing him is entirely wrong.

More to the point though, an injury-ravaged Spurs showed the size of the gulf that exists between Rovers and a top five team. Yes we huffed and puffed, had nearly equal share of posession and hit some stuff that Gomez could save but for slickness and pace, we were nowhere near the standard of Spurs.

Perhaps Kean picked the side deliberately to show the watching Rao family how far short of the required standard we really are.

Otherwise I struggle to understand why Kean picked the team he did which was every bit as bad a selection as we suffered at Villa.

If he wants to pick a Sam team with Andrews and Roberts in it then give it the full Sam treatment with the ball going into the mixer early and often. Instead at 85 minutes gone, we strung a move of 8 passes together at the end of which the ball still hadn't travelled out of our own half. It finally went over the half way line to Keith who promptly lost control of it.

Reading Redknapp's comments he was clearly delighted to win the match and also gave the impression that with the team he had he would gladly have taken a point and was expecting to lose.

The hated Spurs were there was the taking but Kean blew it by picking the wrong players and sticking to the same formation. He also does not appear to have a plan B because at present he is very rigid in his approach which seems to be to try to play pleasing football but forgetting that the basis of any good team is to defend properly. The way Rovers are set up at present with his diamond formation leaves us very exposed.

It's been said before but the aim of sport is to win, not provide entertainment.

I agree with both of these posts - terrible performance and very naive management. I much preferred last seasons game against Spurs under our wiser and much more experienced manger where we capitulated 2-0 without even having a shot or chance of note. :huh:

Seriously, if you can't see any positives and reason for optimism from last night, despite the disappointing result, then you really do need help!

I see that Thenodrog is still the only member who likes to make derogatory reference to a person's race or gender. I also see that he still gets away with it like a dribbling, incontinent old grandad in the corner who 'doesn't know any better' or because 'he's from that generation, he doesn't mean any offence'....

Moderators apparently accept these offensive offerings (yes, I know these examples are not his worst) as they must be worried about the consequences of taking action, but if a young lad swore or used offensive language on here, the Mods would have no problem taking disciplinary action.

Thenodrog posts offensive comments often with racist and sexist content, has done for years, so I am making an official complaint.

What is acceptable in referring to someones gender for no better reason than to pretend to be making a clever or insightful comment or joke? No-one else does it, for reasons that were repeatedly discussed on here years ago.

Happy for this to be made a new topic if it doesn't sit comfortably on this Spurs thread.

Any views?

For you to even take that as worthy of the comment you are a slavering, racist and anti-feminist.

And an ageist to boot. Hating on craggy old men in the corner.....

Shameful.

Any views?

I received a ban for having a go at him for calling our owners SDM, (Slumdog millionaires).

I fully support this. He really winds me up

Any views?

Yes I have garnersfags....... how are you convalescing after that operation to remove all traces of your sense of humour? Give my congratulations to the surgeon, it was obviously a complete success.

I agree with both of these posts - terrible performance and very naive management. I much preferred last seasons game against Spurs under our wiser and much more experienced manger where we capitulated 2-0 without even having a shot or chance of note. :huh:

Seriously, if you can't see any positives and reason for optimism from last night, despite the disappointing result, then you really do need help!

I take it that the 13 shots last season were all at our own goal then. :rolleyes:

Yes I have garnersfags....... how are you convalescing after that operation to remove all traces of your sense of humour? Give my congratulations to the surgeon, it was obviously a complete success.

Noun 1. sense of humour - the trait of appreciating (and being able to express) the humorous.

I think the problem lies with the fact that your "jokes" aren't funny, they're just thinly veiled expressions of inbuilt prejudice. It's the same whenever the debate comes up about "bad taste" comedy (Frankie Boyle, Jimmy Carr, etc) - the biggest problem I have with it is that the jokes in question are so lazy, an unavoidable side effect of relying on stereotypes.

This should probably be a new thread...

Disappointed to have lost. But I actually enjoyed the game, as most fans did. It's not often you get clapped off at the end of the game when you have lost. Play like that week in week out and we will win more than we lose.

As for Andrews, I would never boo on of our own and didn't last night. But he is rubbish. Runs around a lot but doesn't actually tackle, close down, pass or anything. Anyone think he might not have been subbed so that he wasn't booed even more? Just a theory.

I received a ban for having a go at him for calling our owners SDM, (Slumdog millionaires).

I fully support this. He really winds me up

And you don't wind people up bucky? :rolleyes:

You are another of poor intellect and non existent sense of humour bucky. Your life must be dull and flat. Worse still for you you prob have another 40 years of dross stretching endlessly in front of you.

btw After their first showing before the WHU match I thought SDM's was right up there with my invention of nickoteens. btw Have you written to Danny Boyle with your thoughts on the title? You never know maybe he'll change it if you ask. :P

Archived