BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs Preview 2-2-2011

colin

It's not Andrews fault he done better then I would have expected over the years.

but its still a very unpopular selection.

I thought he was bad tonight aswell, should have come off.

Believe me they will be playing for the money - not the fans

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dear.

As most have said we could have played all day and nevr beaten Gomes - we were mugged really.

Having said that the same problems still remain.

Andrews was garbage - interestingly he actually played a bit better when the crowd got on his back - but that was still nowhere near good enough.

Jermaine Jones was also poor - especially his distribution - on tonight's showing he offers nothiing more than Emerton ie he chases alot of players around.

Dunn had a decent game, especially first half.

Keane needs to decide on a settled strike force, there's too much chopping and changing. Though I don't think any of the strikers we have are good enough. kalinic should definitely have been on at some stage.

Poor subs from kean tonight.

We definitley need a top striker in summer and I'm not convinced we've found the midfield answer in Jones.

Incidentally I heard on Radio rovers that Jones came off injured so looks like both our injury prone expensive loanees are going to be out ....injured :rolleyes:

Shame Sam didn't see the light when Fulham had a 2 million bid on the table.

Just when I thought I couldn't be more fed up after a frustrating game.

But the crowd shouldn't boo. Strangely enough Keith seemed to apply himself a bit more after the boo's. And for the person who said it was only a couple of hundred booing, sadly you're kidding yourself. From where I was sitting it sounded a lot more than a couple of hundred, and not just from one part of the ground. I can't remember seeing a single player get boo'd as much as that.

First blot on Keans record for me. He's done well but his team selections are getting worse and his substitutions are almost always poor at worst and uninspiring at best.

Andrews and Roberts shouldn't have even started. I cannot understand how both managed to remain for the full match.

Football managers must see something that fans don't because that's Ince (technically a manager), Allardyce and now Kean who have seen something in Andrews.

I see a player who can't tackle, can't pass, can't shoot, can't press, can't, can't can't. The one thing he used to be able to do - run - he can't even do that now if tonights "performance" is anything to go by. I've said it before. If Andrews wants to make himself useful he should watch video's of Robbie Savage pressing the ball. Several times tonight our players had to run past Keith to press the Spurs player, because he seemed to be repelled by an invisible 5 yard force-field around them.

A yucca plant in the centre circle with a blue and white shirt on would have contributed more.

So given we played them with 10 men I thought we were unlucky. I like the new football style but Kean needs to learn quickly from his substituions - they are poor.

A real disappointment not to get at least a point considering our chances and general play. However....

Jones was poor and one hopes this is just him getting used to the English league.

Andrews was shockingly poor, the Keith Andrews groan was a constant part of the second half in particular.

Dunn did OK in the first half but appeared to either tire and get injured.

We had a lack of class in the last third, despite Hoillet's MotM effort.

The game showed how narrow the margin between victory and defeat can be and results elsewhere pushed us closer to the relegation zone. Three points needed at Wigan.

So we keep the ball, play passing football and create enough chances to easily sink Spurs on another day, but the midfielders who won and retained possession so often were both poor?

Granted there were too many straight passes through the middle, only one of which (Jones to Mame start of 2nd half) posed a threat, but I don't think they did badly. Neither of them are known for being the creative force in a team, so we were always going to have more joy on the wings, and we halved our outlets in that regard by playing Olsson and Hoilett on the same side, which I thought tempered Junior's performance for a lot of the first-half.

For the most part, Jones and Andrews did exactly what they were supposed to do, and I'm far more comfortable with them as a central pairing than I was with Pedersen and Dunn. That's not to say I wouldn't prefer Andrews to be replaced, because he gives the ball away in dangerous areas too often for my liking, but neither of them really cost us anything tonight, and against lesser teams we would have walked it with an all-round display like that.

I really feel frustrated tonight and wont be going to bed as working at 2.00.

Easy to be negative but we have spent huge money on 2 loan players with very indifferent fitness records.

If I buy dodgy market commodities tonight and they bomb then I'm in big trouble.

It aint rocket science but pure bloody commonsense.

havent seen our midfield have this much possession in a long time in a game, surprised to see andrews starting ahead of mgp, all we were lacking tonight was a bit of creative spark to catch the spurs defense out.

Dunns performances have certainly picked up since jones has arrived, removing his defensive midfield duties, some of the opportunities we had should have been buried all day, we hardly ever get that many shots on goal+target, especially against a top tier club. Why roberts wasnt subbed for Benjani is beyond me, and peds played well when he came on, maybe being on the bench was the kick up the backside he needed.

credit where due to gomes for once he had a decent game. Disappointed to have lost given our performance but if we can carry on creating opportunities all game long like we did tonight I think we can expect a top half finish again.

and god-damn it peter crouch again, we just cannot seem to deal with him. the 0-1 voodoo lives on

Incidentally I heard on Radio rovers that Jones came off injured so looks like both our injury prone expensive loanees are going to be out ....injured :rolleyes:

Leaving us from this "wonderful transfer window" (sic) with 2 rookies who could be great but equally could be the next Rigters and Villeneuva.

Get the chequebook out Mrs Desai and sign some proper players in the summer.

So we keep the ball, play passing football and create enough chances to easily sink Spurs on another day, but the midfielders who won and retained possession so often were both poor?

Granted there were too many straight passes through the middle, only one of which (Jones to Mame start of 2nd half) posed a threat, but I don't think they did badly. Neither of them are known for being the creative force in a team, so we were always going to have more joy on the wings, and we halved our outlets in that regard by playing Olsson and Hoilett on the same side, which I thought tempered Junior's performance for a lot of the first-half.

For the most part, Jones and Andrews did exactly what they were supposed to do, and I'm far more comfortable with them as a central pairing than I was with Pedersen and Dunn. That's not to say I wouldn't prefer Andrews to be replaced, because he gives the ball away in dangerous areas too often for my liking, but neither of them really cost us anything tonight, and against lesser teams we would have walked it with an all-round display like that.

So did Andrews play well? And did Jones play well?

Very disappointing tonight, as it has been mentioned there was plenty if opportunities, just watch the match on MOTD and they showed us as the dominant team for a change!

Im not Roberts biggest fan but I couldn't fault him tonight, could have done better in front of goal, but its not like he missed any sitters. I personally would have taken MB Diouf off I thought he played terribly. Keith Andrews was an absolute donkey but other then that it was a pretty good performance, definitely deserved a point.

Also I wasn't sure about dunny coming off but what do I know!!

Absolutely unbelievable.

For the 2nd time in 5 days, I've been on the ground and despaired when I've heard the team news.

Keith Andrews in midfield, Jason Roberts up front - FFS.

Niko is scoring goals and not even a look-in.

Jones - I said it after his debut, thought he was very average, have seen nothing tonight to change my mind. RSC, injured and par for the course. Are these good loan signings ? Certainly expensive !

Substitutions again questionable. Will somebody buy SK Football Manager.

Will be at Wigan on Saturday, but if either Andrews or Roberts start, I will be coming straight off, into the car park and home.

Sorry - think Jones will turn out to be a class addition to the team. He adds some pace to the midfield we desperately need.

Keith Andrews was played partly to help out Salgado with Lennon. I am not his biggest fan - think it was a waste of the £1m we paid for him - but he didn't have a bad game. One bad pass - that admittedly nearly led to a goal - doesn't make a bad overall game. Rovers fans seem to have a blind spot over Andrews - I saw a player who contributed to the team pattern - whose passing was ok, but limited - and who worked his socks off from start to finish. Sometimes you have to play more limited players who can play to a team pattern - and Andrews isn't too bad at this. Emerton would have been ideal - but would have asked a lot given he is only just back.

Roberts - well I must be alone - given he got no protection from the ref - he didn't have too bad a game - and when you look at the highlights was involved in lots of our better play. What about Mame - thought he looked off the pace from the start.

Substitutions - hmm - MGP for a tiring Dunn - seemed logical to me - he had been superb in the first half but his influence had waned. Nzonzi for Jones - as Jones was injured and Nzonzi offers slightly more than Grella - again seemed logical. Mame replaced by Benjani - personal preference I suppose - personally I would have put on Kalanic - but lets not forget Benjani against Liverpool ! What would you have done differently ?

For me - don't think there were any bad performances - just better ones from Hoilett and Olsson. Special mention for Salgado - who did a good job against a far faster player in Lennon.

Tottinghams best player - has to be either Gomes or the referee - a close run thing. It would appear there is no such thing as 50/50 when playing Spuds. Good example - Jones brings down attacker - justified yellow card - Roberts turns Spuds defender - edge of penalty - pulled back - surely automatic yellow card - no. So frustrating - especially watching Crouch elbow players, ride on their backs - and yet get free kicks his way !

Thought the sitting midfielders went missing tonight, not just Andrews but Jones looked out of place - Dunny looked at time in the first half like he could start something but the outlet ball to Roberts especially in the 2nd half was too obvious.

Nzonzi was the pick of the defending midfielders despite only having 30 mins - Jones did go off injured.

This Spuds team was there for the taking but in the end l thought Gomez was the difference. 3-4 class saves - from Diouf and Hoilett, different day different result - thats not taking away from the fact we were poor in midfield.

Roberts is an impact player, Olsson is an attacking winger, Jones has some catching up to do and Andrews is not good enough - but he was wearing a blue and white shirt tonight :o

Just another minor point, I bet the watching Rochina and Formica can't wait to get playing for such devoted loyal fans now eh?

I honestly don't think it'll bother them. They will come in and do a good job and get the fans love. Andrews is a lost cause with rovers fans and he should be sold.

I would say he has done a job and been good value for money but he hasn't. Even Grella is better than him and he brings crutches on to the pitch.

Although I should not be surprised I still find some of the comments on here about Andrews mind boggling. I assume by now that some of those who have commented were at the game, but how any fan can defend booing a player of their own team before he has kicked a ball or, as happened in the second half, when he is about to take a free kick, is beyond me. Like TCO, the treatment of Andrews would be enough for me to move away from the Blackburn End next season, except that I fear it would be no better anywhere else.

The simple fact is, that for all the knee jerk criticisms, he was far from the worst player on the pitch tonight. He gave away the ball softly twice, once in the first half when we were attacking and once in the second which nearly cost us a goal. Samba, who did cost us a goal, gave the ball away in similar situations at least three times in the first half, but no doubt there will be people on here claiming he had a great game. Dunn had flashes of attacking flair but disappeared from the game when we didn't have the ball. Jones had a poor first half, but improved a bit in the second with a couple of excellent balls into the penalty area. Roberts had a variation on his usual performance - his first touch was often OK but then the rarely seen second and third touches were appalling. Hoilett, who I see someone called him MOM by a mile, was conspicuous by his absence for large parts of the game.

There was an incident in the second half on our right wing which summed up fans' attitude to Andrews. He won the ball on the half way line, slipped it into Hoilett and went for the one-two. Hoilett underhit the pass which meant that Andrews lost possession and of course thousands booed Andrews.

At times it was frankly embarrassing to be a Rovers fan in the Blackburn End tonight. So many fans now seem to have made their mind up about Andrews and presumably don't look at the game. In the second half almost every time he got the ball (and there were a lot), there were groans if not boos. It culminated in the frankly bizarre scene where fans were booing Nzonzi's substitute appearance because Andrews wasn't going off. Even if the substitution hadn't clearly been for Jones who needed to come off, it would make precious little sense to bring an extra defensive midfielder on when we are 1-0 down.

For me the outstanding performances were from Nelsen (again), who makes defending look easy and Salgado, who kept Lennon quiet all night. Anyone who saw our defending at Villa Park should realise how important Nelsen is to our defence.

Leaving us from this "wonderful transfer window" (sic) with 2 rookies who could be great but equally could be the next Rigters and Villeneuva.

Get the chequebook out Mrs Desai and sign some proper players in the summer.

No pleasing some people. Start your 'bring back the trust' campaign now.

I thought that the subs were fine - Jones came off looking uncomfortable and it was straight swap for N'zonzi who did ok when he came on (aside from that howler that nearly gave a goal away, but it was caused by overeagerness) and Pedersen certainly looked up for it when he came on, and Dunn was knackered when he came off. Dunn actually played pretty well, got in good positions and made some decent passes. He should also have scored in the first half.

Jones was caught napping twice that I can recall and played a couple of balls that just didn't have enough power on them, leading to interceptions. My reading of this is that he still isn't up to premiership speed, but there's something there all right. He made some good tackles and blocks. It didn't help that van der Vaart had his best game yet and Jenas played well, and that Andrews was playing with him. Andrews, oddly, played one of his better Blackburn games, but was still all but useless although he would have been forgiven if he'd equalised!

The real shocker for me was leaving Roberts on and not bringing on Kalnic - say what you like, but Niko has goal scoring skills and a couple of times tonight we could have done with his foraging.

Corluka got the ball against Hoilett, so a second booking would have been extremely harsh.

In the first half, we were absolutely ripping them apart down our left. I don't know why we switched it up - we didn't get at them there really in the second half, even though we were all over them at one point. Gomes made at least 4 outstanding saves, even if he didn't see the free kick til it hit him, and Samba should have scored at the end by nodding it into the corner - going back across goal wasn't the right option that time. It was one of those nights, really, we could have played another 90 minutes and not scored.

On the booing - who do you think it affects? Booing when Jones went off and N'zonzi came on, and when Dunn went off and Pedersen came on just sounded like booing at those going off, and the manager, and those coming on. Poor form.

There is a significant problem in playing Andrews. His football is negative and he takes the emphasis out of every attack.

Part of the argument about Diouf going to Rangers was that he slows the team down when it is trying to mah=ke a quick break.

Tonight Andrews showed how effective he is a slowing down breaks.

Why didn't we offer Andrews to them?

Part of the argument about Diouf going to Rangers was that he slows the team down when it is trying to mah=ke a quick break.

Tonight Andrews showed how effective he is a slowing down breaks.

Why didn't we offer Andrews to them?

They're not a charity thats why :lol:

Great game, great performance, wrong result.

Andrews being picked is beyond most peoples comprehension, but Allardyce, Ince and Kean think he’s a player, so we all must be wrong.

Lets not dwell on this game, we could have easily won it, onwards and upwards.

A disappointing result tonight but one which I fully expected when I saw the same system employed that had failed so miserably at Villa on Saturday.

In fairness, the system does produce a more attacking style of football but there are far too many gaps left in the midfield areas which teams are able to exploit. While Sam might have been accused of being too defensive, I feel that Kean has gone to the other extreme.

Of course, it's difficult to legislate for individual errors and, once again, Samba was caught out when Crouch left him completely flat footed and towered above him to head home. Whilst I think he has the potential to become an outstanding defender, he really does need to eradicate these errors from his game.

Without Roque it was always going to be difficult. Roberts simply doesn't carry much of a goal threat, Mame Biram Diouf likewise and Kalinic, although he has picked up the odd goal here and there, still doesn't look physically strong enough for English football. In the circumstances I think I would have preferred Roberts as a lone striker with Hoilett in the role just behind him.

The decision to allow El-Hadji Diouf - probably our most consistent player this season along with Salgado - to go to Rangers while Keith Andrews is drafted in to play wide right is one that is beyond my comprehension. In the circumstances I do not understand why our two speed merchants, Hoilett and Olsson were both operating on the same wing in the first half. Surely we should have been attacking Tottenham down both flanks but with Andrews playing on the right, there was no threat apart from Salagado's runs from full-back.

With Roque injured, Jones leaving the field injured and our other two newcomers not quite ready for Premier League football the trip to Wigan on Saturday suddenly looks quite daunting.

On the plus side, with better finishing we might well have taken something out of the game tonight, on the down side those same strikers are the ones who are likley to be facing Wigan at the weekend.

He seemed to be pointing to his back when he came off.

However, during the game he seemed off the pace, as though it was all a little too fast for him.

Not as bad as, but reminescent of, Grella.

Archived