BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sam Allardyce Messiah or simply a good manager?

imy9

Sam did a fantastic job. His modus operandi was to keep Rovers in the Premier League on a very limited budget, he achieved that and last season exceed all expectations by finishing in the top 10. He was also on course to achieve Premier League safety this season.

The reason that a lot of threads get turned towards “if Sam was here” is because the majority of fans believe that his sacking was wrong and the subsequent appointment of Steve Kean has been disastrous with the club hurled into a relegation battle. So what happens is that the fans who were angry at Sam getting sacked and then not being replaced with a “proper” manager see the club possibly getting relegated because of these poor decisions say “this wouldn’t have happened if Sam was still incharge”.

I don’t think anyone believes that Sam was the “messiah”, what most people recognise is that he was a very fine manager who did the best for the club with very few financial resources. His football wasn’t pretty to watch but his one and only aim was to keep Rovers in the Premier League which he did.

100% agree, BFS should have been allowed to play in the transfer market in Jan. If the owners had said to him look you can have X Million but we want flair players. I am sure BFS would have pulled a rabbit out of the hat. Jay Jay and Djorkaeff were BFS signing at Bolton who would have lit up Ewood park. Although for me we should have never let Tugay leave Blackburn as he could have brought on the next generation of young midfielders with some of his vision and passing skills

But fingers crossed that we don't go down. With luck WHU and Wolves will be down before we play them as if not we are in REALLY big trouble.

If we stay up and Kean leaves and is replaced with a quality manager and back room team. I would be quiet positive about Rovers next year.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

To be fair I'm sick to death of hearing about the guy now.

He did a great job in his first season to keep us up and did well last season although I still think 10th was fortunate.

As people say, entertainment comes from winning games and we did that more than we lost games at home, however the 90 minutes the games were played were often the most mind numbing displays of football I've seen in a long time. It got to the stage where I wouldn't really care if I missed the games, it was nice to win but not enjoyable for me 90% of the time, I can't apologise for that.

His signings on the whole were poor with the odd gem, I wont be convinced that Niko was anything but a panic buy.

Still the decision to get rid of him was a poor one but the main mistake was replacing him with Karl Pilkington, had we replaced him with a competent manager I think we would have been better off.

I will always thank him for steadying ship and keeping us up but sadly that hard work will now be undone most likely, ironically maybe with hindsight maybe we would be safer going down with Ince as we wouldn't now be in the hands of Venkys.

Well this is now the Allardyce thread by the look of it Tom, so let's try and keep the Kean thread and others Messiah-free!

10th was't forunate- after a 38 game season you finish where you deserve, same deal if we get relegated.

As people say, entertainment comes from winning games and we did that more than we lost games at home, however the 90 minutes the games were played were often the most mind numbing displays of football I've seen in a long time. It got to the stage where I wouldn't really care if I missed the games, it was nice to win but not enjoyable for me 90% of the time, I can't apologise for that.

Do you think that type of football Rovers played was down to that is the only way BFS knows how to set up a team or do you think it was he was given very little in the way of any transfer budget at all and he was forced to play direct as that is all Rovers could afford?

Cheers

BKR

• Backroom

Well this is now the Allardyce thread by the look of it Tom, so let's try and keep the Kean thread and others Messiah-free!

10th was't forunate- after a 38 game season you finish where you deserve, same deal if we get relegated.

You are right and 10th was a great acheivement but a large slice of luck in the last game got us there, I have no doubts that if Sam was still here we would have been around the same place again though which is the crux of the matter.

Kept them in the Championship, got them promoted despite having amuch smaller budget than us and Fulham, kept them in the PL then improved their league position year on year.

Our definition of struggling is different, 3 years in championship, 1 avoiding relegation and two getting into top 6, followed by two relegation battles, where they narrowly avoided relegation(strange how some posters have said Sam has never been in a relegation battle bar one year) then his successful years.

The season Hughes left we finished 7th, then we finished 15th under Sam and then 10th, we did not move forward, if players had been replaced properly then we may have.

Do you think that type of football Rovers played was down to that is the only way BFS knows how to set up a team or do you think it was he was given very little in the way of any transfer budget at all and he was forced to play direct as that is all Rovers could afford?

Cheers

BKR

Unfortunately Sam tried to play the same at all his clubs.

Our definition of struggling is different, 3 years in championship, 1 avoiding relegation and two getting into top 6, followed by two relegation battles, where they narrowly avoided relegation(strange how some posters have said Sam has never been in a relegation battle bar one year) then his successful years.

The season Hughes left we finished 7th, then we finished 15th under Sam and then 10th, we did not move forward, if players had been replaced properly then we may have.

If the money was there Hughes would never have left!

How was he meant to be bring in better players (so we can improve on 10th) with a low budget or little spending power. Do you realise we had nothing to spend in the summer?

Look at what most of the rest of the teams in the league have spent in recent years in comparsion (Sunderland, Villa, Spurs, Stoke etc etc).

Overall he has imrpoved the clubs he has managed so what is your point - maybe winning the title with Bolton could have satisfied you? He should have done better?

Ha Ha. Messiah? What a silly thread.

The dictionary definition of this word is shown below.

As SA clearly did not save the Jews, nor is Jesus, and liberated absolutely no-one, then I think it is (not suprisingly) INCORRECT to call him 'The Messiah'.

The OP demonstrates his slant and feelings just by including this word in the thread and as MattyBlue pointed out much earlier, this and similar names was fostered on SA by his detractors, not his admirers so why use it in this context for any sort of discussion.

Messiah? :D

Football man and manager, good at his job? Yes.

Mes·si·ah (m-s)

n.

1. also Mes·si·as (m-ss) The anticipated savior of the Jews.

2. also Messias Christianity Jesus.

3. messiah One who is anticipated as, regarded as, or professes to be a savior or liberator.

Those that wished rid of SA have had a tough few months watching painfully as all his good work has been undone by the clueless cuckoo they advocated and supported. It has been quite funny really listening to them ever since current results began to show and demonstrate what a good job SA had done previously with the same players and WITHOUT waxing 5 million into the bargain.

Explain this one please.

Can you tell me which players Allardcye bought that we could sell for a profit Jim?

The questions a bit loaded because he wasn't given much to cash to spend, but he was brought in on the understanding that he was a man who could work on a budget, whilst nurturing talent, and sell them on for a profit to keep the club afloat, he forgot this fact when tried to leave the club in the summer over transfer funds ;)

Ha Ha. Messiah? What a silly thread.

The dictionary definition of this word is shown below.

As SA clearly did not save the Jews, nor is Jesus, and liberated absolutely no-one, then I think it is (not suprisingly) INCORRECT to call him 'The Messiah'.

The OP demonstrates his slant and feelings just by including this word in the thread and as MattyBlue pointed out much earlier, this and similar names was fostered on SA by his detractors, not his admirers so why use it in this context for any sort of discussion.

Messiah? :D

Football man and manager, good at his job? Yes.

Mes·si·ah (m-s)

n.

1. also Mes·si·as (m-ss) The anticipated savior of the Jews.

2. also Messias Christianity Jesus.

3. messiah One who is anticipated as, regarded as, or professes to be a savior or liberator.

Those that wished rid of SA have had a tough few months watching painfully as all his good work has been undone by the clueless cuckoo they advocated and supported. It has been quite funny really listening to them ever since current results began to show and demonstrate what a good job SA had done previously with the same players and WITHOUT waxing 5 million into the bargain.

The last Messiah at Ewood

alan-shearer-blackburn_rovers.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOvZYKKF-cE&feature=related

So we should hsve done better than survival and then 10th?

Behave yourself

You've only been on this site since Feb ;)

By the way I'm enjoying going to games again, loved Wigan away, and I'm looking forward to Everton at the weekend, all in stark contrast to life under Allardyce when I had nothing but a passing interest.

:tu:

Sam was an excellent manager who did a great job for us.

It's all very sad how he got fired and how Kean got the job from a first team coach position, I'll never really understand it.

I would have liked to see what sam did with a bit of money.

I worry a little he would have been like Hodgson as soon as he gets money he wastes it and goes downhill.

But for a club our size Hodgson was perfect.

You've only been on this site since Feb ;)

By the way I'm enjoying going to games again, loved Wigan away, and I'm looking forward to Everton at the weekend, all in stark contrast to life under Allardyce when I had nothing but a passing interest.

:tu:

I have been a bag of nerves at every game since Newcastle at home, kind of enjoyable in a masochistic kind of way...

I have been a bag of nerves at every game since Newcastle at home, kind of enjoyable in a masochistic kind of way...

You know what Matty, someone I work with said exactly the same yesterday.

He pointed out that maybe thats the reason we're enjoying going again, not because Allardyce has gone :unsure: I don't agree of course :blush:

I'm enjoying going to games again, loved Wigan away,

I have never enjoyed watching Rovers lose a match - ever.

And you still haven't explained why "most of his gambles on youth haven't come off" .

You know what Matty, someone I work with said exactly the same yesterday.

He pointed out that maybe thats the reason we're enjoying going again, not because Allardyce has gone :unsure: I don't agree of course :blush:

how do you enjoy not winning?

BLOODY NORY PEEPS ,HES GONE ! GET OVER IT! DEAL WITH IT! MOVE ON FFS!

YOUR ALL LIKE SPOTTY TEENAGERS WHO HAS BEEN DUMPED AND HAVE BROKEN HEARTS AND GO CRYING AT HER FRONT DOOR!!!

LARDARSE HAS GONE WAKEY WAKEY !!!

LIKE IT OR LUMP IT (PMSL SEE WHAT I DID THERE) ITS TIME TO MOVE ON ,STOP MOPING AROUND GROW A PAIR AND DEAL WITH IT!

ITS PATHETIC THAT AFTER ALL THIS TIME EVERY THREAD GOES BACK TO "HIM"

Just like when imy said JW was a liar....nailing his colours to the mast.

Excuse me? What mast would that be?

JW did state that we had money to spend on a striker and then he said that we had to sell Roberts to fund a new striker, the point being made at the time was that situations change and would you say that JW was lying in the first instance or did he change with circumstance- this was then compared to The Raos and what they did.

I am beginning to realise that if you criticise JW in anyway or Sam in anyway/say anything remotely positive about Venkys/Kean there is an army of supporters ready to shoot you down.

I have never enjoyed watching Rovers lose a match - ever.

And you still haven't explained why "most of his gambles on youth haven't come off" .

Tell me some that have, that we can sell for a profit? or can command a regular first team place?

Archived