BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

• Backroom

Very Good player (reflected by the fee) who may be great in time but Fergie must have got on the champers early tonight

But lets also keep in mind Fergie said RVP could have been killed by that ball to the head

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You said PJ was as good at RB as he was at CB and midfield. You were asked to name a game PJ played at RB which highlighted this...the silence was and is deafening. Dominating QPR's midfield...he was doing similar at Rovers. Against Basle he showed that he has much to learn in midfield and his not Man Utd level-yet, Roy Keane said that lol.

Anybody who saw Jones and Parker bully the Spanish midfield last year might disagree about how much he has to learn. Only my opinion but whilst he is good at RB he is wasted there and of the 3 deep midfield is his best position and CH can wait for half a dozen years or so. Time will tell but I think we may as well start referring to him as FEC from now on.

btw... Glad you found this Den. Amazing how little some know about football and how they refuse to learn from people who know better...... I think there could be a link there! :tu:

Ferguson said tonight that Phil Jones could become their best ever player.

Reading back over the last 4 pages has been great fun. In fact, the further back you go, the better it gets.

Doesn't takeaway the fact he should have stayed a bit longer with the club he supported as a lad, I know I would have in his shoes.

Typical modern day footballer though, we shouldn't expect anything else.

• Backroom

Better off admitting that we let a huge talent go for not much money Tom. I think Fergy knows a player when he sees one, unlike some fans posting on the previous pages.

Great fun.

Huge talent yes but I still think the price at the time was reasonable enough and in line with what you would expect and would have halved at least had we gone down with him and he alone wouldn't have been enough to keep us up.

It's all irellevent anyway, even if we got £200 million for him we would still be better off with the player as money in Venkys pocket is of no use to us as fans

I thought that he had to play 10 games for us to get the £2 million but Nick Harris says that it is 50% of games, I think that this clause is for the duration of whatever contract he signed when he joined United (I think it was a five year deal).

So if United win Premier League and he played 19 games or win the Champions League and he plays 50% of their games we get a one of payment of £2 million.

Like Sage has said, this could be a blessing in disguise us not getting the money this year. You never know, we might have new owners this time next year and that £2 million could come in handy.

If Sam doesn't like him, 'll f****** like him, send him up to the STC tomorrow.

Pure Keanious....

Alex, yeah I'll meet you for a bevy and we'll box of this transfer, good job we got him to sign a contract with a release clause eh , make sure there's a nice wedge in it for me and my mate. I've a new house to build, and my mate only has 200m in the bank. Don't worry if i get pulled for drink driving, I'll blame the fans.

Better off admitting that we let a huge talent go for not much money Tom. I think Fergy knows a player when he sees one, unlike some fans posting on the previous pages.

Great fun.

Out of curiosity, how much would you have sold him for, Den? £20m? £25m?

It's all largely irrelevant at this point. Would you have trusted Venky's to invest that extra few million wisely? If at all?

Anyway, whatever we think of Venky's, this isn't a new precedent. Both Duff & Bellamy had release clauses inserted into their contracts, and I'm willing to bet it wasn't the club's idea. In fact, I'm almost certain, since the only one who profits from that is the player (and his agent).

Doesn't takeaway the fact he should have stayed a bit longer with the club he supported as a lad, I know I would have in his shoes.

Typical modern day footballer though, we shouldn't expect anything else.

Move to Man Utd, or stay at Ewood under Venky's Gav? I think he made the right decision really.

Huge talent yes but I still think the price at the time was reasonable enough and in line with what you would expect and would have halved at least had we gone down with him and he alone wouldn't have been enough to keep us up.

It's all irellevent anyway, even if we got £200 million for him we would still be better off with the player as money in Venkys pocket is of no use to us as fans

The amusing parts reading back, we're the fans justifying the price tag because they didn't know a footballer when they saw one. I would guess that most of those we're happy to see Samba, Nelsen, Nzonzi out of the club - while welcoming Murphy, Etuhu and every transfer window during Keans reign and onwards.

Football fans tend to fall into three groups - everywhere, not just at Ewood. Those that know nothing about what constitutes a good player, those that are swayed by anything that plays in their clubs colours and those that usually recognise talent when they see it. Oh,p and some fans learn as they get older. We all know fans in each of those groups don't we.

Cracking player though if I was a United fan I would be worried Fergie might turn him into the next John O'Shea a "jack of all trades master of none" if he plays him in so many different positions. Injuries might curtail his huge potential as well, he seems to keep picking up a lot of those niggling ones.

The fee and specifically how low we got has been done to death, of course the higher the better would have been nice but looking at the club's transfer performance since he left we would have wasted that little bit extra money on dross.

Despite his huge potential he's been nothing more than a bit-part player this season.

He really needs an injury free season to stamp his mark on the team. I expect we might see him starting regularly at centre back with Vidic and Ferdinand unable to play every game now. That would be great news for England because we desperately need a top class centre back.

Guest Norbert

I doubt gurning Phillip and his wannabe wag missus would give two hoots. Great player, and he doesn't seem to be a complete nob like some English players, but I don't think he'd really care about Rovers. The media already forget which club he started at.

Move to Man Utd, or stay at Ewood under Venky's Gav? I think he made the right decision really.

He did undoubtedly but it's my opinion and it is opinion only that he'd hjave stayed another year if the old regime had been in place. Another year could have been another 10m... and yes I do realise that another year could have seen his career ended by injury.

Oh btw Amarillo... Rio Ferdinand moved to MU for 30m 11 years ago! That was Rio the centre half mind NOT Rio the midfielder / centre half / full back.

Ferguson:

''Jones has fantastic potential,he could be the best ever Utd Player''

The world is your Oyster son,just give your 'owd club a thought or two as we slide to oblivion. :(

Just a week or so back, Ferguson said he is an animal. He said he could play him absolutely anywhere, even centre forward (which is something I said on here just after his break through into the first team at rovers) and most importantly, he knows how to play the game. Now to say he could become United's best ever player is quite some backing for jones. It's more than potential LeChuck. It's been obvious from the beginning. United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs all wanted him and we let him go because of a ridiculously low get out clause.

The amusing parts reading back, we're the fans justifying the price tag because they didn't know a footballer when they saw one. I would guess that most of those we're happy to see Samba, Nelsen, Nzonzi out of the club - while welcoming Murphy, Etuhu and every transfer window during Keans reign and onwards.

Football fans tend to fall into three groups - everywhere, not just at Ewood. Those that know nothing about what constitutes a good player, those that are swayed by anything that plays in their clubs colours and those that usually recognise talent when they see it. Oh,p and some fans learn as they get older. We all know fans in each of those groups don't we.

You forgot those that believe the popular press and media. Do you know Den there are still people around who think Veron was the best midfielder on the planet, that Danny Murphy was just behind him, that every Brazilian player is of God like status and that Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard are worldies. :lol:

Archived