BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

According to Kean, it'll be dififcult to hold on to Jones, even if we stay up Metro link

My feeling is that Venky's will want to cash in and Kean will be unlikely to stand in their way. (We need to get Kean out even if we survive but that's for another thread).

But with Nelsen getting on a bit (sorry RIML), we could potentially have a great central defensive partnership with him and Samba, once communication and trust improves and some of Jones' youthful exuberance is tempered with experience. This would give us a solid platform to build on.

But would the £15m+ we'd hope for be better use for strengthening our attacking options?

I think he owes us one full season and being a local lad he should respond to that but money talks. He might have England ambitions but that could be a few years off with Ferdinand and Terry still in their prime.

What do people think?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kean is a patsy, if Venky's were telling him that they want to build a team around Jones, he would be coming out all guns blazing to the press saying 'he's not for sale', if they want to sell, he won't be putting up a fight.

So as previously said, we need Kean out the door.

Regardless of who is manager we havent been able to keep hold of many of our bright young things in the past when the big money/clubs came knocking, I'm not banking on it but it would be fantastic if the new 'investment' could put a stop to this or at least hold it off a year or two. I won't be counting my chickens just yet though (pun fully intended)

I think we need to keep him at all cost! we should be building a team around him, Hoilett, Olsson, Hanley, maybe Kalinic.

you can't keep selling your best players and except to move up the league.

we need to get a proper manager in and will say to the owners no we need to keep him!

the owners must also realise that if we are going to move up the league and challenge for Europe next season then we must keep him.

i think Jones realises that it will benifit himself and the club if he stays put. Jones wont be here in 4 years time and i wont begrudge him of that because his future ability deserves to be at one of the heavywieghts. but for the next 2 years he must realise it will benifit him to stay with us and continue playing first team football. the only club currently which would benifit would be Arsneal. they need a centre back and he would become a first 11 player instantly. At Liverpool, Chelsea and Man U he would not be playing as regually as he would here. 15-18 mill up front plus future incentives would be a reasonable deal which i would consider. but i really hope we keep him. From what i've heard Matt Pearson from the under 18's could be prospect.

He's not even that good.

He is for his age, he is better than plenty of premiership centre backs and he is only 19 and he is English.

I am sure he will be gone in the summer regardless of what league we are in, I think he would have gone in Jan if he was'nt injured.

He's a phenomenal player for a 19 year old.

This is the kind of player we bemoan losing when they are gone. Let's appreciate what we have got.

One of the few causes for optimism I have with the Rovers at the moment!

I would hope we could keep him for at least another season but as the old saying goes 'every player as his price'. If there is enough clubs chasing him then the fee could rise to a figure we can't refuse (no matter who the owners are!)

He's a good young talent - wasnt his best game today, but alongside Samba he would quickly learn and cut out his mistakes.

£10m.....no deal

£15m.....no deal

Start talking £20m and its ALOT of wonga!! If Venkys however have the money then NOT FOR SALE no matter what!

• Backroom

He's a good young talent - wasnt his best game today, but alongside Samba he would quickly learn and cut out his mistakes.

£10m.....no deal

£15m.....no deal

Start talking £20m and its ALOT of wonga!! If Venkys however have the money then NOT FOR SALE no matter what!

Problem is that isn't your call, it's the decision of the people who have a financial stake in the club and to them I imagine £15m would be attractive maybe even £10m.

I think that what Venky's decide to do with this talented young player will reflect what their real intentions and capabilities are with Rovers. If this indeed an exciting start to a new era under the owners, where will no longer be a selling club, then keeping Phil Jones shouldn't be difficult at all. He's a local lad, who supports the club, who's 19 years old, playing regularly in the Premiership and who has just signed a new five year deal. He could go to a big club and find himself very quickly sitting on the bench week after week, while at Rovers he knows he will play all the time and develop far faster. He will no doubt play for a team challenging for honours in the future, but if Venky's are to be believed then there's no reason that it shouldn't be us!

Problem is that isn't your call, it's the decision of the people who have a financial stake in the club and to them I imagine £15m would be attractive maybe even £10m.

Media hype as usual....but the worst news is 'SPURS' because their media machine will start stirring things up and let grubby Harry try his luck.

We turned down £10m last season, and on the 2nd contact said 'NOT FOR SALE' - cannot see how following £35m Carroll that we would even consider 10-15m.

We need to keep Phil Jones, if Venkys is serious about European football. We won't finish top 6 if we sell off our young talent. And if Venkys want real money for Jones, they should wait until he's 24 and the finished article. He'll be worth 20+ million then.

Right now, if we can keep both Joneses, we have the core of a good team:

- - - - -- ? - Samba - P. Jones - ?

Hoilett - N'Zonzi - J. Jones - Olsson

- - - - - - - ? - ?

If we keep the above and hire a proper manager, we'll only be four players short of truly challenging for 6th. Perhaps only three, if Rochina is as good as he looks. Sell them off or otherwise lose them, and we'll be lucky to survive one season to the next.

If he goes somewhere like Man Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea then he will mostly be a bench warmer, and will get to play in league and FA cups and that's about it, for now if he wants football week in week out then Rovers would be the best option, on the other hand if we were to go down then his agent will be no doubt touting him all over the place.

Maybe 2 or 3 years down the line if he devolps like expected we would get a lot more for him.

The Venkys are already unpopular with the fans.

They'd struggle to come away from games at Ewood Park unscathed if they sold Phil Jones.

In my view we keep Phil Jones at all costs and only let him leave if he want to leave regardless of what money is thrown at us. I am sure he will be happy playing for us for another season or more if we stay up. If we do stay up and next season and we can push for Europe I am sure Phil will be happier to stay if we can continue to progress.

If he does want to leave should only be a top 4 side, not spurs though because I dont belive they are a top 4 side and they broke Bentley so why would he want to go there.

And also I think if we keep him for at least another 2 seasons and his progression continues I think you will be looking at £25 million plus for him.

It's not my choice, but i wouldn't sell him. I don't really believe that everything has a price. there are some things that you can't buy. If in a year or two he wants to go to play at a level we can't offer him, that's a different matter. And my rule would definitely be, don't sell any half decent player to Spurs, even if they want to go there. We've all seen what they do to players and denying them a move there would only be for their own good in the long run. You don't let your kids play with dynamite - you protect them. all decent young players should be protected from the lure of Spurs.

We should try to keep & build a team around the likes of Jones, Ollsen (sp?) & Hoillett......at least for a couple of years.

Phil Jones moving to anybody other than a champions league team would only be a side-step for him.

I wouldn`t even consider Spuds, cos Harry will probably be next England manager & he`s the ONLY reason Spurs are in the top 6. They will fade back into obscurity when Arry moves on....leaving a squabbling team to self destruct.

For me we only sell if firstly we are offered silly money - and I am talking £25m + add ons and Phil actually wants to go. If both aren't satisfied - then we should keep him for as long as possible. If they are satisfied - then I don't think we would have a choice - irrespective of the wealth (or otherwise) of our owners.

We have an opportunity, if we stay in the Premiership, to build the team around youngsters like Jones, Hoilett, Olsson, Rochina, Nzonzi etc. I also think that the Samba/Jones partnership looks potentially superb - as they seem to bring out the best in each other (something I think was shown last season as well) and it would be a shame to see if broken up so soon.

Archived