BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely would NEVER sell Jones----agree worth his weight in gold. A local lad and supporter who could be an England captain----how often does a player like that come along?

I would get more satisfaction and pride from watching his career flourish with Rovers than I'd get from 50 "marquee players".

• Backroom

Jones must be retained under any circumstances because not only is he English, he is a Rover and his heart bleeds for the shirt ala Dunny.

Those blokes are worth their weight in gold.

In Dunnies case that's a hell of a lot of gold

P Jones is actually a supporter of Man City I believe. I dont think he would take Spurs when there are clubs much higher allegedly interested in him such as Arsenal, Chelsea and Manure.

The lad is a leader and in a couple of years, bar serious injury, he will be Englands centre back and captain.

Rovers must keep him until he matures into a quality player of the highest calibre.

No way we should sell him, with talk of a significant transfer budget for the firt time in years to even cosider selling him would be madness. The fact he is a fan is massive, there is no way we could buy a replacemnt as good as Jones, no player of his caliber or potential would consider us.

No way we should sell him, with talk of a significant transfer budget for the firt time in years to even cosider selling him would be madness. The fact he is a fan is massive, there is no way we could buy a replacemnt as good as Jones, no player of his caliber or potential would consider us.

100% spot on, we mustnt lose Jones yet, we will at some stage but to lose him now would send out the wrong messages to supporters, players and potential players!

He will go eventually, I just hope we manage to get another season or two before that happens. The time to really worry is when he gets called up the senior England side, then you have Capello and the rest telling him that to play for England on a regular basis he will need to play at the highest level i.e. the Champions League.

He will go eventually, I just hope we manage to get another season or two before that happens. The time to really worry is when he gets called up the senior England side, then you have Capello and the rest telling him that to play for England on a regular basis he will need to play at the highest level i.e. the Champions League.

Always seems to happen they get called up and then the players get there heads turned should just ask him who's left us recently and went on to improve their career. Bentley flop at spurs R.S.Cruz back now and a shadow of the player we sold. Even players like Duff left and won alot but he never had the freedom and seemed to have a lot of the best things about him coached out of him at Chelsea.

Lad looks very special indeed,wish he was Italian.I would keep,but 3-4 bids will surely come.

Personally I see him as potentially the best English defender of his generation and will be up there in Europe's top 4-5 too if he fulfills his promise. That's how good he is.

Always seems to happen they get called up and then the players get there heads turned should just ask him who's left us recently and went on to improve their career. Bentley flop at spurs R.S.Cruz back now and a shadow of the player we sold. Even players like Duff left and won alot but he never had the freedom and seemed to have a lot of the best things about him coached out of him at Chelsea.

We really need a book "The Curse of Ewood" that highlights all the players that left and flopped (a lot) or just moved sideways (a few) and bring it out every time someone is linked to a big club move.

I'd be heartbroken if Jonesy left and positively suicidal if he ended up playing for that baboon-faced crook. Come on lad, prove that there is loyalty left in the game.

We really need a book "The Curse of Ewood" that highlights all the players that left and flopped (a lot) or just moved sideways (a few) and bring it out every time someone is linked to a big club move.

Unless our owners (present or future) decide that they want to fund a title challenge, we are always going to be a feeder club for the richer teams.

Jones will inevitably leave at some point - sooner if he gets into the England squad - but I agree with posters who say not yet. He could easily be first choice CB next season getting fantastic experience playing against the best strikers.

On the plus side, I think a strong selling point to prospective new players is that we will develop them, give them game time and, ultimately, allow them to move on for the right offer. In a lot of cases, that offer is decided when they first sign - hence buy-out values inserted into contracts.

Such a book might therefore prevent players coming to Rovers in the first place! :P

As a footnote, does anyone know the last England captain (beyond a one-game stand-in) who didn't play for a Top 4 club?

It is going to be very hard to keep hold of Jones. Both Sir Alex and King Kenny both like him and have watched him on numerous occassions over the last few weeks, so if bids come in from United and Liverpool then it will be difficult to keep him. It is less likely that he will want to go to Tottenham or Chelsea because he doesn't really want to move away from the North.

It is going to be very hard to keep hold of Jones. Both Sir Alex and King Kenny both like him and have watched him on numerous occassions over the last few weeks, so if bids come in from United and Liverpool then it will be difficult to keep him. It is less likely that he will want to go to Tottenham or Chelsea because he doesn't really want to move away from the North.

And he'd play ahead of Vidic and Ferdinand? Not saying he won't go if a club like Utd come in for him, but he'd be daft to go now. Liverpool a bit different in that their centre half pairing is not top notch, so he'd probably start there.

I know im biased but if Jones has any sense then he would stay for at least the next 12 months....gauranteed football each week can only help him progress further.

It also allows him to monitor our progress and decide if we are going places.

I know im biased but if Jones has any sense then he would stay for at least the next 12 months....gauranteed football each week can only help him progress further.

It also allows him to monitor our progress and decide if we are going places.

I think without being biased - staying at Rovers for another 12 months will be best for his long term career. At the moment I don't feel he will go to one of the top four clubs as a regular first team player. Another season or two playing in the first team at Rovers - and if he continues with the rapid progress we have seen over the last couple of years - he will be able to leave, have his pick of clubs world wide - and go with an expectation of being a first team regular at the club of his choice.

Lets hope that the feel good factor that has followed our brilliant end to the season has made him think there is enough at Rovers for him to progress. A key could be persuading Samba to stay - having Jones/Samba as our central defensive pair for next season would be brilliant - and potentially up with the best in the division.

having Jones/Samba as our central defensive pair for next season would be brilliant - and potentially up with the best in the division.

I agree, for me Nelsen should be 3rd choice behind these two now.

Archived