BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

But Steve every player DOES have a price .It doesn't mean you live in a sad world its the real world.

I don't believe this. I think 99% of players have a price, but not all of them. I like to think Phil Jones is cut from the old school player cloth, and is an one club type of man. We'll see.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't believe this. I think 99% of players have a price, but not all of them. I like to think Phil Jones is cut from the old school player cloth, and is an one club type of man. We'll see.

I can tell you in January the player did not want to leave Rovers for both personal and professional reasons.

All the comments from Kean re other clubs being interested are true and known to me in December / January. I did post some of this, and there are some members who I privately gave the full detail to, but stopped short of the full detail partly because of the source and partly I was tired of the flak this was bringing me.

Kean's LT statement confirms everything some knew 4/5 months ago.What is missing from Kean's statement is the player himself believed he was to be sold against his wishes.

Why should he mention that when he was never sold & was infact offered a new contract??

No reason why it should be mentioned. I'm just pointing out the story in the LT in late May is the same story which was known by several people on here in January. The only difference being the player was expecting to be sold but didn't want to leave - this is not mentioned in the article.

I can tell you in January the player did not want to leave Rovers for both personal and professional reasons.

All the comments from Kean re other clubs being interested are true and known to me in December / January. I did post some of this, and there are some members who I privately gave the full detail to, but stopped short of the full detail partly because of the source and partly I was tired of the flak this was bringing me.

Kean's LT statement confirms everything some knew 4/5 months ago.What is missing from Kean's statement is the player himself believed he was to be sold against his wishes.

Totally true and extremely important what you say there Paul regarding this young and outstanding talent.

I have no idea why he would have personal reasons for not wanting to be sold BUT professionally he made the right choice then and it would be wrong of him to go now for the same reasons. He is argubly the biggest talent of his age emerging not just for Rovers but for his country. If he leaves to go Spurs, United or Arsenal he won't get the gametime he needs which woould stunt his growth as a player, too many big clubs take players too early or just for the sake of it and ruin careers of potentially top class players by not playing them and this happens with young English players more. Another factor is keeping people around him who he knows he can trust, his family and friends that have been there from the beggining, if he goes to London chances are there will be people just wanting to hang onto his fame and fortune and lead him down the wrong path, it doesn't happen with everyone but when things go wrong this way they can seriously ruin a career before its started proper.

Phil has a new girlfriend and as with all women she will have an influence on where he ends up in summer! Albeit only really an influence on whether he stays oooop north or goes down south. Unfortunately plenty of suitors are locally based! I hope he gives us one more season but quality English youngsters are hard to keep hold of! Smalling only made a few appearances as did Rooney as could phil! I hope he goes as high as possible and returns to us once he has won lots of medals!

• Backroom

I wouldn't want to sell but if we got offered £20m it would be acceptable to sell if it would be reinvested.

What worries me is the injury he received last year may have weakened the knee and is potentially dangerous.

The last I heard the lad was happy to stay here. By all accounts a genuinely nice lad. The article in the LET and Paul's comments do give the impression that the 'club' want to move Jones on for as much as they can get. It is quite probable that this is seen as the cheapest (from Venkys pov) and most realistic way of generating sufficient funds to overhaul the squad.

There are pros and cons to keeping and selling. Most young players have a dip in form or don't fulfill their potential in which case Rovers miss out on a big transfer. However, if he does develop further the club would reap even more both on the field for us and financially when he moves.

Possible solution: If there are as many suitors as rumoured - Sell him this summer on the basis he is loaned back to us for next season. That way he develops in our first team (rather than a bench somewhere)and the transfer fee is settled if he does/doesn't progress.

Possible solution: If there are as many suitors as rumoured - Sell him this summer on the basis he is loaned back to us for next season. That way he develops in our first team (rather than a bench somewhere)and the transfer fee is settled if he does/doesn't progress.

Selling under any terms is a bad idea. P. Jones has all the signs of being one of the greats. I'd sell Samba first if the issue is raising transfer fees, though some seem to think the Raos were loaded and putting their own money in.

Selling under any terms is a bad idea. P. Jones has all the signs of being one of the greats. I'd sell Samba first if the issue is raising transfer fees, though some seem to think the Raos were loaded and putting their own money in.

The problem is that a centreback, no matter how good he is, will not win you games (granted you may get the odd last ditch tackle or off the line clearance). If Jones was a centre forward (ala Shearer) or a 'Ronaldo' type player that could destroy teams on his own then you would go out the way to keep him. There is no doubt he has the attributes to be a superb centre half and if he stays then brilliant.

Overall though, in our current position, if you were to offfer me Phil Jones or a Darren Bent type player who would guarantee 15-20 prem goals a season I would take the striker everytime.

Thing is though, knowing Rovers we'd sell Jones then bring in Kris Boyd or someone! :rover:

Centre-backs are fairly easy to replace. I don't think we'd suffer from losing Phil Jones as much as we have losing someone like Bentley or Bellamy. However, Jones is something a little bit special, and I hope he stays for a couple more years yet before we cash in.

I'm afraid the days of the local hero are a thing of the past. Anyone who thinks otherwise is being naive to the fact.

I'm afraid the days of the local hero are a thing of the past. Anyone who thinks otherwise is being naive to the fact.

######.

If the fans want to elevate a local lad to the status of hero, they will, irrespective of your opinion.

######.

If the fans want to elevate a local lad to the status of hero, they will, irrespective of your opinion.

I'm talking about the 'one club man' era. It's a thing of the past. Jones will soon leave for a bigger club, no matter how much he loves Rovers.

I'm talking about the 'one club man' era. It's a thing of the past. Jones will soon leave for a bigger club, no matter how much he loves Rovers.

Yes, we know that Topman. For Phil Jones to leave now would be absolutely unforgiveable and show up everyone who is currently running the club in a very very bad light. If the club is as we where told last year, intent on building a greater football team and club.

The problem is that a centreback, no matter how good he is, will not win you games (granted you may get the odd last ditch tackle or off the line clearance). If Jones was a centre forward (ala Shearer) or a 'Ronaldo' type player that could destroy teams on his own then you would go out the way to keep him. There is no doubt he has the attributes to be a superb centre half and if he stays then brilliant.

Overall though, in our current position, if you were to offfer me Phil Jones or a Darren Bent type player who would guarantee 15-20 prem goals a season I would take the striker everytime.

Thing is though, knowing Rovers we'd sell Jones then bring in Kris Boyd or someone! :rover:

I really don't understand where you are coming from here. I'm bemused by your stance.

Centre backs can win you games, although it's a team effort anyway.

No one is offering a swap of Jones for Bent, or equivalent, are they? You might take the striker every time, but that is irrelevant.

A Bent type player won't win you games if you centre halfs are crap anyway.

You shouldn't sell Shearer or Ronaldo type players? We don't have any players of that quality anyway, but you'd propose that we shouldn't be bothered about emptying out the rest of the team even if we did?

Maybe I'm not getting what you're driving at?

Centre-backs are fairly easy to replace. I don't think we'd suffer from losing Phil Jones as much as we have losing someone like Bentley or Bellamy. However, Jones is something a little bit special, and I hope he stays for a couple more years yet before we cash in.

With the greatest respect, I really think you are wrong there, all the good sides are built through the spine of the side, Keeper, Centre back and striker, if you have those three elements, you have a great chance, I was taught thats how you set a side up, indeed, I was told you build from the back and work forwards, not just in personell, but football.

Watch Barcelona, they build all their football from the back but the defenders really can defend too, Jones is different to many Central Defenders as he can play football as well as defend well, there arent too many like that around nowadays, Jones would never be replaced like for like, for me he is a very special talent, I honestly feel if he continues in the same vein, he will without question be an England regular for many years and most probably captain too.

Big Chris Samba is nowhere near as comfortable on the ball as Jones and Jones is only just starting out, he really is a special talent.

Just going back a number of years, Rovers were languishing at the foot of the old third division, they got big John McNamee from Celtic and almost got promoted, slightly further on, we got |Graham Hawkins from Preston and he marshalled the defence to promotion, not forgetting the spine of the Premeir winning side, the spine was Flowers, Hendry and Shearer!!

For the town of Blackburn and its young population, Phil Jones for me is THE, young male role model for the town, whilst Diana Vickers has to be THE young female role model for the town.

To lose Phil Jones is far more than just a simple footballing issue right now.

He is the image our Blackburn should be portraying!

It would not make sense to sell Jones already. Finally we have a huge young ENGLISH talent, and he has become a bit of a talisman for us.

If we get an offer thats too good to turn down, then fine, but 15 million? Come on!

And btw, if we end up selling both Jones AND Samba this summer, I will personally find the people responsible and smack them right in the face!! <_<

Jones obviously wants to stay (he is only 19!!!), he can develop and become a better player over the next few years, and captain even.

Lose Jones then game over for Venky's and Kean. Simple as that.

Lets not limit this to one player alone, Robinson, Samba, Hoilett, N'Zonzi and Olsson need to be included in the list plus any others missed off.

Lose Jones then game over for Venky's and Kean. Simple as that.

Yeah, that right. They'd deserve to go simply because of that. Because we've never, ever lost any of our bright young prospects to bigger clubs have we Misery? I mean, you should know having been a Rovers supporter for over a century. That Ferguson bloke should have gone when he let Madrid take Ronaldo as well.

Simple is right.

Lets not limit this to one player alone, Robinson, Samba, Hoilett, N'Zonzi and Olsson need to be included in the list plus any others missed off.

Aye this window is going to be a testing one for the Venky's but it will clearly define their ambitions as far as Rovers are concerned.

Archived