BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

Just loving the way the LET are stirring the pot on a now daily basis regarding possible bids for Jones....who needs enemy's when you have this lot as your local rag!

:angry2:

We need them to do us a favour and start bidding wars for Vinny and Keef.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He isnt unhappy FFS and doesnt want to leave so why post such rubbish BangkokRover.

Why is it rubbish? He made a fair point - if he wants to go then let him go, I think that should apply to most players. The comment didnt state that Jones was unhappy tho so why moan?!? :blink:

Why is it rubbish? He made a fair point - if he wants to go then let him go, I think that should apply to most players. The comment didnt state that Jones was unhappy tho so why moan?!? :blink:

The point is he doesnt want to go ! seems the media are filling a few empty heads around here and making it out as if he wants to go FFS!

If it really is the case that Jones wants to stay, he could quite easily come out and say so.

Also, don't see any problems with what was reported in the LET - they're simply stating that bids are imminent...as bids are imminent.

If it really is the case that Jones wants to stay, he could quite easily come out and say so.

Also, don't see any problems with what was reported in the LET - they're simply stating that bids are imminent...as bids are imminent.

Phil Jones doesnt have to say a word just get on with playing. On your bike Cryer !

Don't know if you're referring to me as Cryer or saying that in general, but I can assure you that I'm no journo.

The LET haven't even hinted that Jones wants to leave, they're simply saying that we will be getting some bids soon - which we absolutely will.

Don't see the problem there.

Some red-top hack creates a story from nowhere and most people on here take it as gospel.

The LET report something that is will certainly happen (bids for Jones) and it's dismissed as an editor with an agenda... :wacko:

Andy, I think the feeling is that the 'red-top hacks' don't care about Rovers and we understand that. But the local rag are talking as if it's a done deal - when one would hope they'd be a little more in tune with their audience.

Did you read today's paper? Cryer and Plunkett must have done a coin toss to see who got to write the "Yes - he'll stay" and "No - he'll go" versions of the story such was their delight in the "story".

Andy, I think the feeling is that the 'red-top hacks' don't care about Rovers and we understand that. But the local rag are talking as if it's a done deal - when one would hope they'd be a little more in tune with their audience.

Did you read today's paper? Cryer and Plunkett must have done a coin toss to see who got to write the "Yes - he'll stay" and "No - he'll go" versions of the story such was their delight in the "story".

Can we all forget the inside pages of two weeks ago leading upto the Wolves game that ran a Q&A about Rovers chances of surviving relegation with their so called sports journalists, with only one of the Lancashire Telegraph journalists, Cryer, saying Rovers would escape relegation.

We can hardly blame the LT when there are plenty on here apparently comfortable with the idea of selling him for big money and strengthening the squad. :angry:

Will we ever learn? When has that ever worked in the past? I thought we were no longer a selling club?

Phil is the sort of player who comes along once in a generation, we should treasure him, not sell him. From having as good a pair of centre-backs as there is in the premiership we will lose both. Clubs are already seeking ludicrous sums for inferior replacements. That money, however big it appears, will slip through our fingers.

He's a fully-fledged Rovers supporter, he's only just turned 19, he's just signed a new 5 year contract, he's never given any indication he wants to leave. If we can't keep a player in these circumstances, when can we?

I can't bear the thought of TV pundits calling him a "Liverpool great" 2 years down the track.

For God's sake make it clear he is our player and he's going nowhere.

Exactly that!!

Was thinking the same SG - its hard enough to fend off bids as it is without the local rag basically provoking them into a bid!

Looks very likely Liverpool will come knocking with £12-15m in the next few days though!!

All they are doing Is trying to sell a few extra copies, just the same as every other paper in the UK. It worked as I bought a copy to find out the news, which turned out to be a complete non-story.

Why on earth people get upset by media rubbish I don't know. Anyway it was only a couple of days ago you said every player has a price meaning you don't really have an argument other than how much.

Plenty of fans will shrug their shoulders and pronounce a sale as "a good deal for Rovers." Nonsense but that Is how the new generation see it. Money money money.

We can hardly blame the LT when there are plenty on here apparently comfortable with the idea of selling him for big money and strengthening the squad. :angry:

Will we ever learn? When has that ever worked in the past? I thought we were no longer a selling club?

Phil is the sort of player who comes along once in a generation, we should treasure him, not sell him. From having as good a pair of centre-backs as there is in the premiership we will lose both. Clubs are already seeking ludicrous sums for inferior replacements. That money, however big it appears, will slip through our fingers.

He's a fully-fledged Rovers supporter, he's only just turned 19, he's just signed a new 5 year contract, he's never given any indication he wants to leave. If we can't keep a player in these circumstances, when can we?

I can't bear the thought of TV pundits calling him a "Liverpool great" 2 years down the track.

For God's sake make it clear he is our player and he's going nowhere.

Good post! +1

All they are doing Is trying to sell a few extra copies, just the same as every other paper in the UK. It worked as I bought a copy to find out the news, which turned out to be a complete non-story.

Why on earth people get upset by media rubbish I don't know. Anyway it was only a couple of days ago you said every player has a price meaning you don't really have an argument other than how much.

Plenty of fans will shrug their shoulders and pronounce a sale as "a good deal for Rovers." Nonsense but that Is how the new generation see it. Money money money.

Read the article online. It is a non story. I think everyone of us expect a club to ask or to bid for Phil Jones. Even though it would be unwelcomed, it is in my view inevitable that a bid will come in.

That is all the LT are saying. Jones is a Rovers fan, for that reason he would want to stay. But he is also a football player, who will have his own ambitions.

Read the article online. It is a non story. I think everyone of us expect a club to ask or to bid for Phil Jones. Even though it would be unwelcomed, it is in my view inevitable that a bid will come in.

That is all the LT are saying. Jones is a Rovers fan, for that reason he would want to stay. But he is also a football player, who will have his own ambitions.

If I were able to earn 50,60,70000 quid a week playing football for the club I supported all my life, you wouldn't be able to keep the smile off my face. I would not listen to a word King Kenny said.

If I were able to earn 50,60,70000 quid a week playing football for the club I supported all my life, you wouldn't be able to keep the smile off my face. I would not listen to a word King Kenny said.

47er: Hello King Kenny, Rovers Legend

KK: Hey, Son, I know you love your club - and you can always go back there - but, in the meantime, how do you fancy winning the League....

KK: Hey, Son, I know you love your club - and you can always go back there - but, in the meantime, how do you fancy winning the League....

"Don't you manage Liverpool these days, Kenny? Yeah, not interested, ta."

We have had players linked with big transfers every year, however this one is generating more debate IMO due to the current owners/manager.

If we didn't have all the cloak and dagger talk of marquee signings, big transfer kitty etc then as per usual the situation would be much clearer.

As I see it, the player is happy to stay and not pushing to leave. That doesn't mean he wouldn't leave if say City offer him 100k a month!

If the club were clear about their finances then fans would have a simple equasion ....either

1) We have no more than £5 million to spend but Jones is not sold whatever the offer.

2) We sell Jones for the best price, say thank you very much and have a kitty upwards of £20 million.

Most people would agree it will take more than £5 million to make us competitive again in the Prem. However, losing our most talented youngster since Duff does not send out the message Venkys originally gave.

Ideal world is we keep him but also spend the money required but most people don't believe this will happen.

So as with most things at the moment...it revolves around the club and owners namely.

1) Have the owners got enough money to fund a transfer spree?

2) If we sell are we comfortable that Kean will spend the money wisely.

....and so the merry go round continues.

Wouldn't it be great to fast forward to 1st September. Then we can spend our time either planning for Europe or protesting about the managers/owners on Facebook :wacko:

Chance of Liverpool winning the league next season = 0.

They are an outside bet for the title, IMO, not that anyone has said that Liverpool will win the title next season.

Let me know if you fancy a punt, i'll offer you far better odds than the bookies. :P

People are getting far too worried over this situation. We have a great player on a 5 year deal, so the ball is in our court. He seems like a rational guy and he obviously loves the club so even if he expresses an interest in leaving and we tell him we want to keep him for another year or so he will still perform and be part of the team. I think the days of the local hero are over and at some point he will want to go to a top four club. If that this summer, fine; slap a £25 million price tag on his head and see who bites. If they're not prepared to pay that for him, that's fine too and we get to keep him for another year. Losing Phil Jones will not be the end of the world if the price is right and if the owners use all of the money received on transfers.

We have had players linked with big transfers every year, however this one is generating more debate IMO due to the current owners/manager.

If we didn't have all the cloak and dagger talk of marquee signings, big transfer kitty etc then as per usual the situation would be much clearer.

As I see it, the player is happy to stay and not pushing to leave. That doesn't mean he wouldn't leave if say City offer him 100k a month!

If the club were clear about their finances then fans would have a simple equasion ....either

1) We have no more than £5 million to spend but Jones is not sold whatever the offer.

2) We sell Jones for the best price, say thank you very much and have a kitty upwards of £20 million.

Most people would agree it will take more than £5 million to make us competitive again in the Prem. However, losing our most talented youngster since Duff does not send out the message Venkys originally gave.

Ideal world is we keep him but also spend the money required but most people don't believe this will happen.

So as with most things at the moment...it revolves around the club and owners namely.

1) Have the owners got enough money to fund a transfer spree?

2) If we sell are we comfortable that Kean will spend the money wisely.

....and so the merry go round continues.

Wouldn't it be great to fast forward to 1st September. Then we can spend our time either planning for Europe or protesting about the managers/owners on Facebook :wacko:

Surely you mean a week, he will be at least on £100k per month at Rovers !!

People are getting far too worried over this situation. We have a great player on a 5 year deal, so the ball is in our court. He seems like a rational guy and he obviously loves the club so even if he expresses an interest in leaving and we tell him we want to keep him for another year or so he will still perform and be part of the team. I think the days of the local hero are over and at some point he will want to go to a top four club. If that this summer, fine; slap a £25 million price tag on his head and see who bites. If they're not prepared to pay that for him, that's fine too and we get to keep him for another year. Losing Phil Jones will not be the end of the world if the price is right and if the owners use all of the money received on transfers.

Trouble is, we (fans) have a price in our heads but we have no clue what our owners would accept. £8m plus add ons? It also depends upon whether or not our 'consultant' is involved in the decision. If he is, then I am very worried.

I know he's said it in the past but for some reason I get the feeling Jones hasn't always been a Rovers fan.

Cos he's from Preston?

I can see Samba leaving for Arsenal, and Jones going to Liverpool but being loaned back to us for next season. Everybody's happy.

Except the fans. :angry:

Archived