BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

Awful 1st half but a much improved 2nd half once we had changed to pass and move rather than a lump if forward tactic. It allowed us to keep the ball when we got it rather than giving it straight back to Brazil as we had done continually in the first half.

Jones is a much better full back than Glenn Johnson but then again who isn't? However imo he is better in deep midfield against teams with a strong midfield like Brazil and Spain.

btw I think that was the worst that I have ever seen Walcott play. He looked frightened to death and his touch was completely off. Quite suprised Hodgson left him on for so long.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Ramires...is he injured?

Countinho will be playing for them by next year I reckon.

Still though...Ramires isn't guaranteed a starting spot for Chelsea and Coutinho isn't even Liverpool's best player and they're way off the pace in the PL at the top.

It's a shame because I used to love watching Brazil, but they don't have anybody worth watching anymore. I don't even get the hype about Neymar. The Spanish, Argentinians and Germans have the individually talented players now. Even Holland and Belgium are probably more exciting.

This, given your support for Sam's way of playing.

Thats a cheap shot dave from someone who has obviously been away from real football for too long.

One can only play with the hand of cards that you are dealt. With managers tenure averaging about 18 months and players contracts averaging 3 years any incoming CLUB manager can only play to the strengths and weaknesses of the players to hand. In 2008 our squad wasn't capable of intricate one touch sweeping football was it? Especially not with Andrews replacing Bentley and the excellent kicking ability of Robinson replacing the much poorer kicking of Brad. That goon Ince proved that when he had em playing lots of square and backward passing and losing, whilst Allardyce came in, sussed the strengths and weaknesses and adapted the team to play to those very successfully.

Thats a cheap shot dave from someone who has obviously been away from real football for too long.

One can only play with the hand of cards that you are dealt. With managers tenure averaging about 18 months and players contracts averaging 3 years any incoming CLUB manager can only play to the strengths and weaknesses of the players to hand. In 2008 our squad wasn't capable of intricate one touch sweeping football was it? Especially not with Andrews replacing Bentley and the excellent kicking ability of Robinson replacing the much poorer kicking of Brad. That goon Ince proved that when he had em playing lots of square and backward passing and losing, whilst Allardyce came in, sussed the strengths and weaknesses and adapted the team to play to those very successfully.

Should have all listened to Majiball and appointted Micheal Laudrup and hopefully we wouldn't be where we are today and I might actually have seen the whole of a league cup win.

:P:P :P ;)

We could have appointed SAF with Arsene and Jose as his assistants and the Fat Controller would still have needed to persuade the Venkymob to pot em so that he could get his man in charge of the keys to the cash till.

• 2 years later...

Anybody who saw Jones and Parker bully the Spanish midfield last year might disagree about how much he has to learn. Only my opinion but whilst he is good at RB he is wasted there and of the 3 deep midfield is his best position and CH can wait for half a dozen years or so. Time will tell but I think we may as well start referring to him as FEC from now on.

btw... Glad you found this Den. Amazing how little some know about football and how they refuse to learn from people who know better...... I think there could be a link there! :tu:

I said it years ago that whilst Jones is a good player, 20 million was a great fee. He hasn't turned out to be Duncan Edwards and has become a jack of all sorts master of none.

No doubt I have made plenty of ill advised comments but own up to mine ;)

• Backroom

Personally feel he is a player ruined by Kean and Fergie inexplicably playing him in midfield when he was clearly a cracking defender from the start.

Should've gone to Liverpool.

I said it years ago that whilst Jones is a good player, 20 million was a great fee. He hasn't turned out to be Duncan Edwards and has become a jack of all sorts master of none.

No doubt I have made plenty of ill advised comments but own up to mine ;)

True. A long list of injury problems can't have helped but he hasn't really developed as I expected. Obviously still a top player to figure for MU and England but he hasn't cemented any position as his own and by now he should have.

True. A long list of injury problems can't have helped but he hasn't really developed as I expected. Obviously still a top player to figure for MU and England but he hasn't cemented any position as his own and by now he should have.

I truly had high hopes for Jones, beyond what he has achieved thus far. Perhaps he has been ruined by being played in a number of positions. Personally, I thought he was superb in DM whilst at Rovers though I always saw CB as his best position. He's yet to truly establish himself and a move elsewhere could reinvigorate him. The summer he left for United I made a drunken bet of sorts with some chaps in Budapest that he would go on to be England captain, hopefully I won't be proven wrong!

• Moderation Lead

He's not kicked on like he should have (partly down to mismanagement and being so versatile), and like someone said above he's 2015's John O'Shea, how depressing given how much potential he has.

I didn't think Jones was having too bad a game, apart from his throw-ins obviously.

But how bad was England's defending for that first goal ? can't really blame it all on Jones.

As soon as they come up against a team like Germany, they'll walk through that defence

and they won't need pace to do it, just a bit of movement and accurate passing.

Archived