BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

Just a week or so back, Ferguson said he is an animal. He said he could play him absolutely anywhere, even centre forward (which is something I said on here just after his break through into the first team at rovers) and most importantly, he knows how to play the game. Now to say he could become United's best ever player is quite some backing for jones. It's more than potential LeChuck. It's been obvious from the beginning. United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs all wanted him and we let him go because of a ridiculously low get out clause.

Phil Jones is a special talent Den but what has always set him above the rest is between his ears.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh btw Amarillo... Rio Ferdinand moved to MU for 30m 11 years ago! That was Rio the centre half mind NOT Rio the midfielder / centre half / full back.

Ferdinand had already been playing Champions League & World Cup football *before* United had bought him. With Jones, Utd paid £16m for a defender who had barely a season's worth of PL games under his belt. A closer comparison would be Ferdinand's initial move to Leeds from West Ham, but even then he had over 100 apps for West Ham to his name.

If Andy Carroll was worth 35M then Jones was worth more. He's English, can play and has all the stuff between his ears.

I said it at the time and I'll say it again we could easily have got over 30M for him so many teams desperatly wanted him, hence 25M from Liverpool.

Only Mr Legal reasons and the loons from pune could ever have @#/? up as badly as they did with Jones.

It also helps if the manager treats him with some respect and doesn't act liek a dick 24/7.

Hopefully he'll come back at 39 when he's in his twilight.

Comparing the fee to Ferdinand is a bit ridiculous.

A better comparison would be Theo Walcott going to Arsenal for £5m or Gareth Bale to Spurs for £6m - promising young players leaving a financially destitute little club for a price that reflects the fact they were both something of a gamble.

Jones was less of a gamble but he certainly wasn't in the Ferdinand 'most highly rated defender in Europe' league.

You forgot those that believe the popular press and media. Do you know Den there are still people around who think Veron was the best midfielder on the planet, that Danny Murphy was just behind him, that every Brazilian player is of God like status and that Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard are worldies. :lol:

Veron was a bloody good player Theno. He wasn't suited to this league, but was world class in his prime IMO.

Also, Lampard/Gerrard, whilst overhyped by our media, have been cracking players. Gerrard for instance was world class at a point in time. It's a game of opinons, and what you deem 'world class' to be.

Ferdinand does even't come close to Jones. Ferdinand had played nearly 200 top flight games, was in the England squad and had shown his ability in a top-four team.

The evidence of this is the impact they had after signing. Ferdinand was immediately a key figure at Old Trafford. Jones, for all his potential, has only played 13 league games this season. So that's two years they've had to be patient with him for, Ferdinand came pretty much the finished article.

I don't think anyone is in any doubt that an injury-free Jones will justify his transfer fee and then some. However, because he hasn't stamped his mark on the team yet there is still that risk that something will prevent him from really establishing himself at the club.

• Backroom

I doubt gurning Phillip and his wannabe wag missus would give two hoots. Great player, and he doesn't seem to be a complete nob like some English players, but I don't think he'd really care about Rovers. The media already forget which club he started at.

He seems a complete nob to me the way he was squaring up to people the other week then trying to get them sent off

To be honest, the only thing I think of now when I think of young Phil is his gurning.

He has more facial expressions than Jim Carrey.

Only like a hideous version.

He could become the best player in the world, but he's still the biggest gurner in the world.

Comparing the fee to Ferdinand is a bit ridiculous.

A better comparison would be Theo Walcott going to Arsenal for £5m or Gareth Bale to Spurs for £6m - promising young players leaving a financially destitute little club for a price that reflects the fact they were both something of a gamble.

Jones was less of a gamble but he certainly wasn't in the Ferdinand 'most highly rated defender in Europe' league.

5 or 6 million? Liverpool had already come in with over £20m first bid.

The amusing parts reading back, we're the fans justifying the price tag because they didn't know a footballer when they saw one. I would guess that most of those we're happy to see Samba, Nelsen, Nzonzi out of the club - while welcoming Murphy, Etuhu and every transfer window during Keans reign and onwards.

Football fans tend to fall into three groups - everywhere, not just at Ewood. Those that know nothing about what constitutes a good player, those that are swayed by anything that plays in their clubs colours and those that usually recognise talent when they see it. Oh,p and some fans learn as they get older. We all know fans in each of those groups don't we.

Football fans on messageboards also fall into three groups: those who come on just to chat about their team and welcome different perspectives; those who sit back and enjoy reading good banter; and those who keep on trying to demonstrate they are more knowledgeable than the first group, desperately seeking praise or admiration from people they will never know or meet. We all know fans in each of those groups don't we.

5 or 6 million? Liverpool had already come in with over £20m first bid.

I wasn't saying he's only worth 5 or 6 million, I was referring to the relative cheapness of unproven players compared to the likes of Rio Ferdinand. You could say that Southampton got completely gypped for Walcott and Bale, but those two could just as easily have been disappointments.

Same thing with Jones, hence 16m rather than 30m.

Liverpool bidding over 20m... Really? That was just some nonsense in the papers, wasn't it?

Football fans on messageboards also fall into three groups: those who come on just to chat about their team and welcome different perspectives; those who sit back and enjoy reading good banter; and those who keep on trying to demonstrate they are morr knowledgeabe than the first group, desperately seeking praise or admiration from people they will never know or meet. We all know fans in each of those groups don't we.

Spot on.

Football fans on messageboards also fall into three groups: those who come on just to chat about their team and welcome different perspectives; those who sit back and enjoy reading good banter; and those who keep on trying to demonstrate they are more knowledgeabe than the first group, desperately seeking praise or admiration from people they will never know or meet. We all know fans in each of those groups don't we.

Love it.

I hope Jones plays at CB throughout his career. We all thought he could go on to become one of the world's best CB's and I'd love to watch him recognise this potential.

Football fans on messageboards also fall into three groups: those who come on just to chat about their team and welcome different perspectives; those who sit back and enjoy reading good banter; and those who keep on trying to demonstrate they are more knowledgeable than the first group, desperately seeking praise or admiration from people they will never know or meet. We all know fans in each of those groups don't we.

Top quality post.

The two foremost members of group three are very prominent on this thread.

• Backroom

Cracking post

An interesting post EiT. Personally I'd have added a few more categories. I'm not sure where I stand in your opinion but it must be nice for you to draw lots of supportive comments from the know nowts err...... less perceptive. ^_^

Lol.

Oh absolutely EIT, you're not wrong there. There is of course a fourth group of m/b posters.

• 1 month later...

I can't understand why Hodgson never plays Jones. Tonight was a perfect opportunity to give him his big chance and he lines up with Cahill and Jagielka. At worse Jones should be starting in central midfield as he does for United. See Fergie or Capello's words on his talent - the kid has to be starting for our national team.

Agree with that, him and wilshere are going to be world class and have the potential to form England's EVER cm pairing. He just needs to start playing jones and if wilshere can avoid injuries I think he will become better than gazza or Scholes.

Agree with that, him and wilshere are going to be world class and have the potential to form England's EVER cm pairing. He just needs to start playing jones and if wilshere can avoid injuries I think he will become better than gazza or Scholes.

Wilshere is no where near the ability of Scholes, nor is he ever likely to be, Jones could be a formidable CB and an England regular, I'm not sure about world class.

I can't understand why Hodgson never plays Jones. Tonight was a perfect opportunity to give him his big chance and he lines up with Cahill and Jagielka. At worse Jones should be starting in central midfield as he does for United. See Fergie or Capello's words on his talent - the kid has to be starting for our national team.

Jones doesn't start for Man Utd on a regular basis in central midfield. Michael Carrick does. Lampard is a miles better midfielder than Jones is right now. As are Cleverley, Gerrard and Wilshere.

Until Jones nails down a permanent position he won't be starting for England. Hopefully that's in central defence because that's where we desperately need a touch of quality.

What a stunning header from Long.

Archived