BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fact? Please explain. I have it down as their opinion. Speaking of opinions derrick your's as usual is worthless.

Tell you what, go and try buying him back then for the same money... better still offer em a couple of million profit even and see how you go on. :rolleyes:

Problem with that Gord is the differences between the two clubs rather than the ability of the player.

I don't know why people havent realised yet that the size of a transfer fee is FAR more based on the size and finances of the clubs involved than it is to do with the players ability. Most pertinently the selling club.

You need to calm down and get over yourself

I think you'll find this is why much of what you post is considered worthless. Would you care to point out where I've said anything to suggest a need to "calm down"

Problem with that Gord is the differences between the two clubs rather than the ability of the player.

I don't know why people havent realised yet that the size of a transfer fee is FAR more based on the size and finances of the clubs involved than it is to do with the players ability. Most pertinently the selling club.

That's an interesting point of view, never occurred to me before. You're suggesting for all clubs there is an amount of money that will make them sell any player? The amount being dependent on the club's financial position.

Ronaldo £70m. Jones £16m. Makes a lot of sense to me, the buyer offers an important sum of money to the seller and provided it is within the buyer's own budget the deal is almost certain to be successful.

That's an interesting point of view, never occurred to me before. You're suggesting for all clubs there is an amount of money that will make them sell any player? The amount being dependent on the club's financial position.

Ronaldo £70m. Jones £16m. Makes a lot of sense to me, the buyer offers an important sum of money to the seller and provided it is within the buyer's own budget the deal is almost certain to be successful.

And if it's a release clause, and the buying club somehow guessed the exact amount, there'd be no almost about it.

I think people are still bitter about this deal because:

- Of the way it went through

- Most Rovers fans wish nothing but failure on the club he went to

- Had we not had a numpty in charge and we had pushed on to better things, he might/i] have been convinced to stay one more season

- The numpty who sold him is still here. It's like the reverse of the Ince-Andrews situation

Still, others are right it's time to move on and let the scar heal. We're only hurting ourselves...

- Had we not had a numpty in charge and we had pushed on to better things, he might/i] have been convinced to stay one more season

That's dreamland stuff. He was never going to turn down United, even if we had hired Ferguson to manage us in the summer.

That's dreamland stuff. He was never going to turn down United, even if we had hired Ferguson to manage us in the summer.

We'll never know. One thing is for sure, there was NO incentive for him to stay. Maybe I am 'dreaming' but under Allardyce, with new owners, looking to build something, and knocking on the door of 6th place, it's possible he might have stayed one more season.

Maybe hypothetical but we've done ourselves NO favours by taking the course of action we did. Don't forget, Sam and Ferguson are friends, maybe a pre-contract or loan-back could have been sorted out.

• 2 weeks later...

That can't be right Maj.

He's just a young lad that couldn't get into our side and wouldn't get into United's team either. He certainly wont get into United's Champions League side. He's a long way from being a Premier League player. Might be in the future, but not yet. We got a fantastic fee for him as well.

You must be talking about someone else.

That can't be right Maj.

He's just a young lad that couldn't get into our side and wouldn't get into United's team either. He certainly wont get into United's Champions League side. He's a long way from being a Premier League player. Might be in the future, but not yet. We got a fantastic fee for him as well.

Den, are you being sarcastic? The lad is class.

2 scenarios; if he had stayed fit last season we would have finished higher up the table. If he didn't come back we would have gone down.

How you can say he's not a Prem player is beyond me. All and sundry are lining up to praise him.

Old Sir Bobby has obviously been on here reading my comments in summer when I predicted that Phil Jones would inevitably be compared to Duncan Edwards. ;)

"And the greatest compliment of all came when United's 1968 European Cup winner and still avid Old Trafford observer Pat Crerand said: "If you talk to Sir Bobby Charlton, Phil Jones reminds him of Duncan Edwards with his power and build."

Still 16m is a massive amount for a teenager. :rolleyes: Ooops I mistakingly engaged 'numbnut knownowt' mode then for a second!

Old Sir Bobby has obviously been on here reading my comments in summer when I predicted that Phil Jones would inevitably be compared to Duncan Edwards. ;)

"And the greatest compliment of all came when United's 1968 European Cup winner and still avid Old Trafford observer Pat Crerand said: "If you talk to Sir Bobby Charlton, Phil Jones reminds him of Duncan Edwards with his power and build."

Still 16m is a massive amount for a teenager. :rolleyes: Ooops I mistakingly engaged 'numbnut knownowt' mode then for a second!

Personally I say fairplay to him, would he have got better under Kean? Says it all really when the owners of our shell of a club only took anynotice in the club was when they felt they were getting less than they thought they should.

He's brilliant. Watched him for United against QPR on Sunday. I think he's better in the middle of the park than he is at the heart of defence but then that will be Fergie's decision.

He's got everything to go on and be a regular for England. Strong in the tackle, can pass could have had two goals on Saturday with a bit of luck and better finishing. We've lost a real gem, but then we can't compete with the bigger clubs.

That can't be right Maj.

Your right Den, I just don't get what people see in the lad, he just looks like a brute who gets stuck in and has little technical ability. He also points a lot which just reminds me of Keith and how benefical his pointing was. Absolutly delighted we got a monster 16M for this lump, deal of the century for me.

He'll go down in United folklore for sure as their worst buy ever.

You said PJ was as good at RB as he was at CB and midfield. You were asked to name a game PJ played at RB which highlighted this...the silence was and is deafening. Dominating QPR's midfield...he was doing similar at Rovers. Against Basle he showed that he has much to learn in midfield and his not Man Utd level-yet, Roy Keane said that lol.

• 1 year later...

Archived