BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bin Laden dead

Paul, I agree with your posts 99.9% of the time. However, on this occasion I disagree. These are people you just can not reason with. They are willing to blow themselves up. Setting a western example would make no difference with these folk. Infact they would probably class it as weak if they even noticed our way at all.

Good riddance

I agree with the highlighted bit of your post. However, I dont think a trial was necessary as an example to his supporters and followers.

I think a trial and internationally sanctioned execution was necessary as proof to the international community that those fighting the war on terror are civilised and unarguably in the moral right. That we are unquestionably a step above the barbarianism of Bin Ladens beliefs and his twisted creed.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely it would have been far better for this man to stand trial.

Reuters: John Brennan, President Barack Obama's top counter terrorism adviser, also told reporters that the U.S. commandos on the raid had been ready to take the al Qaeda leader alive if that had been possible.

Not saying he's being honest, but there you go.

Reuters: John Brennan, President Barack Obama's top counter terrorism adviser, also told reporters that the U.S. commandos on the raid had been ready to take the al Qaeda leader alive if that had been possible.

Not saying he's being honest, but there you go.

I really hope that that was the case.

It was a kill mission.

We could never take him to trial.

True story. Shame though as he would have hated being held accountable to a nation he despises and it would have been the ultimate punishment to be judged by the people if so clearly holds in contempt.

True story. Shame though as he would have hated being held accountable to a nation he despises and it would have been the ultimate punishment to be judged by the people if so clearly holds in contempt.

Surely he would've gone on trial in the Hague rather than the US?

What on earth would be the purpose of any trial? He was guilty of many atrocities and many many innocent deaths!

Your first and second sentances completely and utterly contradict each other I'm afraid.

And to those of you who suggest that the Pakistani authorities have been protecting ASB, please remember that just down the road from me Harold Shipman killed over 200 people. I don't think the NHS was protecting him. Food for thought?

I think he might be saying that because you can imagine this will have upset his followers, many of whom will now be looking to seek revenge?

By definition, jihadist are always seeking to kill the infidel in the name of Allah. Killing Bin Laden neither increases nor dampens their zeal.

Because we've made a martyr of him, and his death will inspire others to commit more evil in his name.

You can't go round bumping off a jihadist at a time. It's a complex problem. Get shot of one and another 6 pop up in his place.

They were already inspired.

As to the six who pop up in his place: 1) if they were that unstable they were jihadists in the making, then something would have set them off sooner or later, so no net loss; and, 2) that's why we have ammunition factories and Marines.

Seems very strange to me that he was "buried at sea" so quickly, though.

If the press, and therefore his extended wealthy and influential family, had gotten word that the US had Bin Laden's body, there would be writs filed in the DC Courts seeking its return on humanitarian grounds, etc., injunctions sought to prevent its disposal before the case could be heard, etc. Once that process started, it would only be a matter of time before the family got the body and a shrine created.

Better to kill the evil (and cowardly-hiding behind his wife!?) !@#$%, confirm death, take video and photographs, then dump the corpse in the ocean.

While I'm not a supporter, I think President Obama acted very prudently in this regard.

The immediate death of Bin Laden at the hands of the US will make him 'martyr' to the Islamic radicals. If he had instead been captured, put on trial in the US and executed that would have also made him a 'martyr' to the Islamic radicals.

Whatever action was taken you would see the same end result.

Exactly.

And in the medieval mindset of certain portions of the Islamic world, a willingness to violate another nation's sovereignty to pump a terrorist full of lead, is viewed as strength. Considering its those parts of the world that we currently find ourselves mired, I believe President Obama has done himself, and the USA, a lot of good behaving as he did.

Paul, I agree with your posts 99.9% of the time. However, on this occasion I disagree. These are people you just can not reason with. They are willing to blow themselves up. Setting a western example would make no difference with these folk. Infact they would probably class it as weak if they even noticed our way at all.

Good riddance

I fully understand the point Alan and a major part of the problem is reasoning with such people is apparently impossible. I'm uncertain though if execution is the answer - if it is the answer it would save many lives and billions of expenditure in places such as Iraq. Would it not be simpler to assassinate the likes of Saddam or Ghadafi?

I'm sure Bin Laden was never going to stand trial and I understand why. The main thing that has struck me about this is the "celebratory" pictures coming out of the USA. I hate to upset the Americans on here but change the clothing and the country of the individuals pictured and you have the same reaction as that we frequently see, and disapprove of, from those the West is fighting. That bothers me, in fact more so than executing Bin Laden.

Hasn't taken long for the hypocrisy of the supposed leaders of Islam to show up:

The head of the al-Azhar mosque in Cairo, Sunni Islam's most important seat of learning, condemned the decision to dispose of the body at sea.

Grand Imam Sheikh Ahmed al-Tayeb said it was an affront which ran "contrary to the principles of Islamic laws, religious values and humanitarian customs".

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13261064)

Sure, as Bin Laden, his ideology, actions and message were not at all "contrary to the principles of Islamic laws, religious values and humanitarian customs" were they? What happened to your outrage after Luxor, Kenya, Tanzania and New York?

And to those of you who suggest that the Pakistani authorities have been protecting ASB, please remember that just down the road from me Harold Shipman killed over 200 people. I don't think the NHS was protecting him. Food for thought?

Completely irrelevant comparison Colin.

It wasn't known that Shipman had committed those crimes until a relatively late stage therefore there was no reason for the authorities here to be looking for him.

Pictures of some Americans celebrating Bin Laden's death are a little undignified but that and the manner of his death surely pale into complete insignificance against the nature of the atrocities he helped orchestrate.

Probably the only time Bin Laden was happy to let his wife walk in front of him ;)

Hardly a glorious final act of a great muslim warrior eh? Cowering behind your wife, using her as a human shield.

If there`s any justice in the world....Let`s hope he felt some of the terror he inflicted on others.

Pictures of some Americans celebrating Bin Laden's death are a little undignified but that and the manner of his death surely pale into complete insignificance against the nature of the atrocities he helped orchestrate.

The pictures of some Americans celebrating is likely to continue problems amongst young moslems, especially, for whom he was a figure head.

Food for thought?

More like food for laughter.

I love your thoughts Colin!!

I was pretty disgusted seeing those pictures on the way to work this morning.

Martin Luther King Jr.: "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy."

I am relieved that a man who orchestrated such horrific events is no longer part of our race, but to celebrate in the streets like you've won the World Cup? The celebrations are doing Americans no favours whatsoever.

I was pretty disgusted seeing those pictures on the way to work this morning.

Martin Luther King Jr.: "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy."

I am relieved that a man who orchestrated such horrific events is no longer part of our race, but to celebrate in the streets like you've won the World Cup? The celebrations are doing Americans no favours whatsoever.

Whilst it is tastless, Americans tend to be very vocal when something pleases them. I have found in my time here thus far that any excuse to whip out the red, white and blue paint and tear ass around the streets waving a huge flag is leapt upon.

I remember watching the Arabs doing their jumping up and down, hands in the air celebrations and feeling a desire for retribution after 911 and so did MANY New Yorkers, cubed. There might be a feeling of revenge that most Britons of our generation have never felt at work.

of course it safer ,its one less evil @#/? on planet earth.Why isnt it going to be safer?(do ya know something doc?).Of course someone else takes over and runs the scum machine,but if ,a big if , he is dead its one less scum bag.He is responsible for the death of thousands.

Have you never heard of "stirring up a hornets nest" Abbs?

Surely he would've gone on trial in the Hague rather than the US?

..And can you see the problems that would have arose if he was still alive.Endless arguments about his 'civil rights' :rolleyes: and fair trail etc etc....better he's brown bread.

If you kill the queen they all die.

Unfortunately for us the West his followers have less brains than your average bee.

I really hope that that was the case.

I struggle to believe that for a minute. Which country would be so foolish to have wanted to imprison him? What a Pandora's box that would have opened the world over.

Doesn't matter where, it was never an option.

It's so black and white. Open and shut case. I cannot understand why you keep having to repeat yourself? This was the only option and the best one.

..... The main thing that has struck me about this is the "celebratory" pictures coming out of the USA. I hate to upset the Americans on here but change the clothing and the country of the individuals pictured and you have the same reaction as that we frequently see, and disapprove of, from those the West is fighting. That bothers me, in fact more so than executing Bin Laden.

Me too. A burning effigy and a few flying shoes and there is little difference. I'd shoot a rabid dog without a second thought but I'd not celebrate the fact.

Archived