BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] If you were the gaffer

I know we quite often get transfer suggestions in other threads but thought it might be interesting to see which players people would like to see bought in over the summer. Looking at realistic, but maybe optimistic, targets.

I'll start it if with my suggestions.

Personally I think we will need a CF, a LB, a CM and a CB.

I still like the look of Xavier Pentecote from toulose who we were linked to last year before he got injured. Hopefully some of our members with a knowledge of French footy can give a bit more info on him.

For the modfield option I think we should go for J Jones as he seemed to settle well during his loan. Maybe krancjaer to give us more of a creative edge.

Left back is a tricky one, wouldn't be opposed to having warnock back if the price was right. Would free Givet up for one of the CB berths.

For CB I would be happy to go for someone like Matt Mills from Reading. Maybe collins from Villa as well. Think we will see more of Hanley next year, he was Jason Roberts choice to replace Phil Jones. He must play against Grant a lot in training and seems to rate him.

Anyone else got any ideas, could be some really random suggestions as people on here seem to watch a lot of footy from all over the world.

I would go for a quality left back, someone like Tremoulinas from Bordeaux & shift Givet to the center. If Samba leaves, then I would go for a quality center back like Mangane from Rennes, otherwise I'd be happy with our defensive options.

I would sign Jermaine Jones & add an all round central midfielder. I'd look at Marvin Martin of Sochaux, Sissokho of Toulouse, or someone of the likes.

I would definitely sign a quality forward either way. So many to choose from, but to name some Cisse from Freiburg, Sow from Lille, Soldado from Valencia, etc...I'd also look at Bellamy/Nzogbia for a forward option but in addition to not instead of the names I mentioned.

So LB (also CB if Samba leaves), CM, ST, & FW

I would agree with with the players suggest. I think we need Young right back, centre back, left back, winger, midfielder, 2 strikers

RB- Clyde from Palace, Serge Aurier from Lens, Whittaker from Rangers, Hutton from Spurs

CB- Collins from Villa, Bassong from Spurs, Mills from Reading, Bougherra from Rangers

LB- Warnock from Villa,

CM- Jermaine Jones from Schalke, Reo Coker is available is free, Jenas from Spurs

Winger- Bentley from Spurs, Larrson (free), Vicente (free)

2 strikers- RSC from man city, Defoe from spurs, Xavier Pentecote from Toulouse, Hoarau from PSG, Cisse from Freiburg, Nelson Valdes from Hercules

I'm not usually one to play fantasy football but if it was simple I'd go for :

Def: Assuming Samba goes with Jones, One CB in to compete with Nelsen, Givet & Hanley. A new LB and although not a priority the Auxuere RB looks interesting.

Mid: Jermaine Jones in on a permanent transfer. Try and get rid of Grella, Goulon & EH Diouf. Andrews can stay for me.

Strikers: Keep Roberts. Get rid of Kalinic & dont sign Santa Cruz. I've no problem with keeping Benjani. Bring in one top top quality striker capable of playing as a target man - Defoe wouldn't be suited to this role but I wouldnt be against him coming in with someone else.

We really need people who will come in and make a real difference - I'd rather bring in 3 excellent players than 4-5 good players. It's important that we dont pad out the squad and stop the likes of Lowe, Morris, Blackman, Hanley, Formica & Rochina getting a game. There's also Linganzi who I thought looked quite good against QPR before he was loaned out to Preston.

So : Excellent Left Back, Centre Back and a mega excellent striker please.

LB - Drenthe, Warnock, Erik Pieters

CB - Vorsah, Collins, Alderweireld, Ron Vlaar, Bassong, Rami.

CM - J.Jones, Leroy Fer, Wijnaldum, Possebon, Reo Cocker, Palascios

ST - Cruz, Cardoza, Pietersen, Modeste, Anelka, Defoe, Berbatov.

LB- The heat surrounding Izaguirre from Celtic has cooled significantly. We should make a move for him although he's very attacking so although Olsson would terrorise going forward, we might be left exposed.

CB- Varane from Lens. United surely can't still want him? Bassong, Johnson

CM- J Jones + KRANJCAR!!!! KRANJCAR!!!!

ST- Chelsea have valued Sturridge at 20m. We've just come into 20m. He's that good.

.2 strikers - one big money eg Defoe, Cardozo

- one cheaper/free eg Ba, Jelen, Dj Campbell

.Jermaine Jones

.A passing central midfielder eg Adam, Vaughan

.Centre back replacements for Jones and/or Samba eg Collins, Bassong, Shawcross, Johnson, Dann, Onouha, Boyata

.LB option eg Warnock, Zhirkov

Maybe then look at the likes of Larsson, Vicente and Aurier

Difficult to come out with names as we don't know the budget, who the scouts may have identified and what interest there may be in some of our players.

The areas I would focus our search on are:

CB, CM, CF and possibly LB

If Jones goes we are going to need a new CB, if Samba and Jones both go we may need two especially if Givet might be off as well. Left back might be worth investing in as well depending once again on Givet's future, if Givet stays and we keep Olsson then I don't see it as a major priority area this window.

Central midfield is an area we could do with investing in, J.Jones might be an option but that would depend on the price. Ideally I would like to see the club offload someone like Andrews or Pedersen allowing us to bring in not only a defensive or box-to-box midfielder but also a ball playing one. Unless we remove some deadwood from our midfield it will be difficult for us to justify bringing in the playmaker we need.

Strikers are a major issue, Roberts is the only one who I am certain will stay because nobody else will want him. Kalinic will be off and Benjani might not sign a new deal. Diouf, Santa Cruz and Ba are not the answer.

So 1-2 CB's, 1-2 CM's and 2 strikers and I think we will have done well this window.

.2 strikers - one big money eg Defoe, Cardozo

- one cheaper/free eg Ba, Jelen, Dj Campbell

.Jermaine Jones

.A passing central midfielder eg Adam, Vaughan

.Centre back replacements for Jones and/or Samba eg Collins, Bassong, Shawcross, Johnson, Dann, Onouha, Boyata

.LB option eg Warnock, Zhirkov

Maybe then look at the likes of Larsson, Vicente and Aurier

Vaughan from Blackpool is a great shout. Was quality last season with Blackpool, arguably better than Adam

Lets look at this methodically. Players who are in our plans below, Players underlined are certain starters if available:-

Goalkeepers:- Robinson, Bunn

Central Defenders:- Nelsen, Samba, GIvet, Hanley,

Right Back:- Salgado, Emerton

Left Back:- Givet, Olsson

Defensive Midfield:- Nzonzi, Lowe

Offensive midfield/Wingers:- Hoilett, Olsson, Formica, Pedersen, Dunn, Emerton, Rochina, EH Diouf

Strikers:- Roberts

On that basis, by my estimation, even with Jones going our defence looks pretty good across the positions with okay depth. Keepers look decent. Also offensive midfield/wide players which a lot of people bang on about - linking Bentley, Krankjaer etc - we have nine established or promising players vying for at most three places. We do not need any more unless we shift at least three of them!

The clear areas for addressing are strikers where - with Kalinic seemingly out the door - we need three. And also we need at least one defensive minded midfielder, hopefully J Jones, as Grella is clearly finished at the club and Andrews days must be numbered.

As luxuries we can have a look at full backs and a new centreback. But the priority are strikers and defensive midfielders. Any other approach is ludicrous.

edit - Is Benjani staying or not?

Ryan Bertrand at Chelsea looks like a good left back, I'd be making enquiries about his availability.

Excellent shout - on my list too

Left Back young kid @ Chelsea Bertrand

Right Back - Serge Aurier (£3m) or Kyle Naughton

Centre Back Boyata (£3-4m)

Centre Mids - J Jones (no more than 5-6m), Krancjar (no more than £6m), Marvin Martin, Henri Lansbury (Part of Samba deal if he goes), Bentley (Loan with view to £5m signing)

Strikers Ba (Free), Bellamy (£3.5m), Sturridge on loan, Iker Muniain

Any of the above and id be very happy

Surprised at the number of people naming Warnock. Step back if you ask me.

I think we need two new full backs. The young lad from France to replace Salgado (over the next couple of years) and someone in the mould of Olssen for the other side but who is better at defending!

I think we'll need one quality centre back, even if Samba leaves. Givet can move into the centre with Hanley and Nelsen as back up.

I also think we need a box to box midfielder who get get on the end of crosses. I think with Hoilett, Olssen, Rochina, Formica (if he turns up next year) + new midfielder we will have enough creativity in the team.

Up front I'd like to see us splash the cash on one big name striker (not RSC!). I'd also like to see us go for DJ Campbell - not everyone's cup of tea I know but I like him and he can play the lone striker role.

So I make that 6 new players.

I realise I've probably spelt a lot of names wrong there but you know who I'm talking about!

How about Oscar Cordoza as the other striker. He'll know all about us through RSC. He'd be at the top of our budget but there's worse players to spend the Jones money on.

The way I imagine us playing next season is a lone front man with Hoilett/Rochina playing off him. Could Cordoza play that role? Not really seen him play.

Here's my 25 man squad, with new purchases in bold:

GK: Robinson

GK: Bunn

GK: ?

LB: Bertrand (Chelsea)

LB: Josh Morris

CB: Nelson

CB: Givet

CB: Hanley

CB: Mills (Reading)

RB: Salgado

RB: Emerton

MF: Hoilett

MF: Olsson

MF: N'Zonzi

MF: Formica

MF: Jason Lowe

MF: J. Jones (Schalke)

MF: Jack Cork (Chelsea)

MF: Kranjcar (Spurs)

FW: Roberts

FW: Kalinic

FW: Benjani

FW: Rochina

FW: Blackman

FW: Sturridge (Chelsea)

Extending Hoilett is of critical importance.

My LBs look young but both Olsson and Givet can handle the situation if it doesn't work out.

My RBs are older but I don't think the position is critical as between the two of them I think Emerton and Salgado can handle the position well until the next window.

And push comes to shove, Jack Cork can play across the back four, in addition to the midfield, so we have additional cover across the defense.

Benjani would have to be paid as play. If he declines, I'd replace him. I'd also be willing to listen to offers for Kalinic and Roberts, though I would not push either one out.

I'd sell P. Jones and Samba (foregone conclusions), and Grella, MGP, Andrews, EHD and Goulon. There is no need to do anything with Brown or Rigters are their contracts expire this summer.

A ? means I'm not sure of the GK but it needs to be addressed. I'd consider a loan deal at this stage in lieu of purchases, so long as a price was agreed in advance.

I would not buy RSC.

Archived