SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jermaine Jones => Rovers/Roma/Stoke

Ricky

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed

But its not going to happen is it? So do we rely on Grella (!) or are we actually going to rectify the situation?

Football season finished in May and here we are in July with no players signed who improve the squad, one of our best 2 players gone and the other one likely, leaving a great hole in the middle of the defence, and no bids made for any player other than an ageing,declining Keane.

That's the reality Hughesy which you are apparently OK with!

Cue---allegations of mass hysteria! :wacko:

I say getting Jones on another loan deal would of been shrewd. Money is seriously burning a hole in peoples pockets on here, if we didn't have any cash under the regime of old it would be a very different tune. Just because we have it doesn't mean we shouldn't spend it wisely, we need to make it go as far as we can. So no-one would have him back for a season at 30 years old rather than pay 5 million for him? Sort yourselves out... Jesus.

WE ARE NOT MANCHESTER CITY OR CHELSEA.

We're not the only club in the equation. Schalke aren't fickle enough to let Jones go on loan to us again when there are other clubs wanting to sign him. Trying to get him on loan again shows naivety and poses further questions about our funds. The question for me remains whether or not we will stick with the stated transfer policy of 5mil per season and signing young, unproven players and loan deals (as stated by our owners directly) or our rumoured warchest of 40-50million (as stated by journalists).

If we have the money, then we should sign him up. If we have the money, but think the deal is too expensive and Schalke refuse to budge then we should be looking at other targets. Given our ties with a bloody player agency like Kentaro and our sensational ability to find bargain buys in the past, we should be more then capable of finding good player targets for a cheap price. I don't see why we need to go begging to Schalke to do us a favour to lend us Jones again.

I really dont see the problem at trying to save money where possible, as has been said Jones is advancing in years and has been quite an up and down player in his career, lets be honest it took him 3 or 4 games to settle here and show his abilities. Would you really want to part with 6-8 ml for someone with his record and relative inexperience in this league. I am all for asking for loans where available, after all if you dont ask you dont get.

We may or may not have money but if we do there is no sense in chucking silly money around for the sake of it, our owners are seemingly wealthy but not in the petroldollar fantasy football sense of Man City so we still need to operate with a degree of prudence.

Talk about faffing about. Either bid for him, or don't. Make an offer and if it's refused go look for someone else.

loan idea was worth a try..

as JJ is an outcast at schalke. but schalke know we have cash and are just trying to get us to overpay.

its perfectly feasable that rovers will go back in with a take it or leave it offer (lower than the 6-8m valuation..massively overvalued..).

This morning's Lancashire Telegraph reports that Kean is ready to give up on signing Jones. Rovers valuation is different to Schalke's and they have not been able to reach agreement. Kean may decide to look at other midfield targets.

He's still looking for them then. :tu:

Good job on the podcast btw Kamy.

Quick question for people based on the high fee.... and being realistic about targets if we are limited to £26m.

Jermaine Jones for £10m (reported 60k wages – age 29) – ½ season in Prem and history of Injuries

Joey Barton for £3-4m (reported 50k wages and willing to drop for a 4 yr contract – age 28) – tons of prem experience, a home grown player and not bad with injuries but BAD boy/ scum reputation by some.

Which would you choose? Personally id go with the latter

I could imagine a conversation like this:

Rovers- Good morning, we are interested in signing Jermaine Jones on a permanent basis, to start things off what sort of price are you looking for him?

Schalke- Around £10m.

Rovers- £10m is a bit steep considering his age, squad status at Schalke currently and his injury history. How about £4m?

Schalke- £10m is the price we are looking for, your manager said that he is a £10m player.

Rovers- Our manager said that?

Schalke- Yes he did, so if your manager values him at £10m that's what we want for him.

Rovers- Ok we will need to discuss what our next moves are, we will be in touch.

Is it any wonder Schalke want £10m or close to it when our 'manager' said he was valued at £10m?

I know I am in the minority but I would love to see Barton here, i think he is a top footballer who brings a lot toa team in terms of drive etc

joey barton's ugly head pops up again!

one of your reasons the other day was.. "he has great taste in music" are you stalking him ? :lol:

anyway this is the JJ thread. id pay no more than 5m for him! and cant see any other clubs paying more than that anyway.

Quick question for people based on the high fee.... and being realistic about targets if we are limited to £26m.

Jermaine Jones for £10m (reported 60k wages – age 29) – ½ season in Prem and history of Injuries

Joey Barton for £3-4m (reported 50k wages and willing to drop for a 4 yr contract – age 28) – tons of prem experience, a home grown player and not bad with injuries but BAD boy/ scum reputation by some.

That makes the assumption that it's either JJ or Barton.

I would never go for Barton if they paid us to take him. That's how strongly I feel about that criminal.The reasons have been gone into over and over again. "Family club"? You're having a laff.

That makes the assumption that it's either JJ or Barton.

Not at all just a comparison of someone who is likely to be available due to low contract length vs someone we have been in talks about

Just throwing into the argument that there might be ‘better’, more premier league experience midfielders around for much cheaper

I know I am in the minority but I would love to see Barton here, i think he is a top footballer who brings a lot toa team in terms of drive etc

I agree with you about Barton. would be a good player for us. seems to have grown up alot in the last 2 years.

Archived