• I'd have prefered a commercial sponsor, but this is a great alternative
    • Simply don't care
    • Waste a valuable income
    • No objection to charity, do object to the Princes Trust
    • Other (Please Explain)

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really thought it was going to be the Venky's logo - especially after watching the advert. I'm no fan of the royal family either, but if Venky's realised they had left it too late to find a sponsor - or had allowed it to be too late to find a sponsor, then they could have gone either of two ways. Doing the positive thing and adding a charity to the shirt is preferable to taking the fast money from a gambling firm, no?

Edit - and aren't Middlesbrough putting a different sponsor on their shirt each month for this season? That's a first...

I`m pretty sure barca set the precedent.

As for when they go on sale, a lot of posters are posting in knowledge it will be saturday. ... I expect that to be the 2nd part of the announcement, together with a discount??

I stand corrected, 5 years has flown by!

Couldn't have actually got this better, the timing is just perfect - well done to all concerned.

A truly wonderful national charity that helps kids, being so directly associated with Rovers is fantastic - even if it was borne out of not getting deals we wanted, it is a tremendous move away from the utter greed of the premiership.

Unless of course those evil Venky's initiated the riots :wacko:

We had four league games with 4xxx on during the '80s and one season in which the average was 5xxx.

We had a League Cup game with 2xxx on and we never had a 3xxx league crowd.

Just to remind folks, we don't have a sponsor. We have a charity.

????????????? Examples Abbey??? League Matches?????

Completely off topic, but there were a few, although not many. In the 80s we were in the old second division and crowds were more like 6K+. The last home game of the 82-83 season was 3,797 home to Shrewsbury. Going back to the 70s, the first season in the third division in 73-74 we had 3,520 for the last game at home to Wrexham. I was probably at both.

We had four league games with 4xxx on during the '80s and one season in which the average was 5xxx.

We had a League Cup game with 2xxx on and we never had a 3xxx league crowd.

Just to remind folks, we don't have a sponsor. We have a charity.

I am pretty sure I have been on the ground with only 3k plus viewing. I remember thinking it could not get any worse and the Blackburn End was a sorry place to be. It may have been the Shrewsbury game mentioned above as it was early 1980's for sure.

... I think everybody understands that, what is your point?

I'm very happy with the choosing of a charity. It would have been all too easy to flog the space for some cheap, crap company nobody would ever use if the money was needed.

So he can try look important and knowledgeable.

The global economic crisis may well mean that selling this type of sponsorship was very difficult at this time, with few companies willing to invest the money required to replace Crown.

Alternatively, the selling price may have been aimed too high.

Meanwhile our commercial department may well be under-performing and not presented or promoted the benefits of the sponsorship to a wide enough audience.

Whatever the reason, it is in the club's best interests to locate a shirt sponsor for next year as these deals are far bigger than programme sponsors, ball sponsors, councourse sponsors, players sponsor deals etc. I am of the opinion that our commercial department has underperformed to some extent, but this may be due to the selling price being too high. Shirt sponsorship is one of the bigger deals to work on come close season for any commercial department in football and also one of the higher priority issues. I should imagine a lot of dicussion has taken place regarding this matter.

In the meantime and in the abscence of a commercial shirt sponsor I think the Venky's have done the right thing with a charitable partnership with the Princes Trust and at long last the branding we are lumbered with looks good on the shirt.

Completely off topic, but there were a few, although not many. In the 80s we were in the old second division and crowds were more like 6K+. The last home game of the 82-83 season was 3,797 home to Shrewsbury. Going back to the 70s, the first season in the third division in 73-74 we had 3,520 for the last game at home to Wrexham. I was probably at both.

.....and people think we've got it bad now by :rock:

If the numbers I have read are correct:

Crown paints deal - £5m over 3 years

Sponsor x = £500k each year.

If we had gone with new sponsor we would have a guaranteed loss of 3.5m over 3 years against crown paints deal.

So - instead we put a charity on the front (tax deductible ) and gave ourselves 12 months to find a new sponsor.

Pretty clever to me... Then again I'm only a lowly businessman rather than an expat keyboard warrior

If the numbers I have read are correct:

Crown paints deal - £5m over 3 years

Sponsor x = £500k each year.

If we had gone with new sponsor we would have a guaranteed loss of 3.5m over 3 years against crown paints deal.

So - instead we put a charity on the front (tax deductible ) and gave ourselves 12 months to find a new sponsor.

Pretty clever to me... Then again I'm only a lowly businessman rather than an expat keyboard warrior

Previous deals don't really mean that much in terms of selling for the best available price. It wouldn't be a loss compared to the old deal as effectively you are at day 0 with no income as the deal has expired.

Sponsor x offers £1m for a years deal.

Charity x offers £0 for a years deal.

The million looks good to me. i don't see how tax deductions play that much of a role.

Previous deals don't really mean that much in terms of selling for the best available price. It wouldn't be a loss compared to the old deal as effectively you are at day 0 with no income as the deal has expired.

Sponsor x offers £1m for a years deal.

Charity x offers £0 for a years deal.

The million looks good to me. i don't see how tax deductions play that much of a role.

The bit to question is the contract term. Admit that you are playing the futures game with that one

Im expecting big shirt sales on this one - especially when the other bit of news on the sales comes out.

In terms of sponsor appearance & design - fans should be very happy with it....whether they agree with the charity bit or not

as no one has picked up on this yet... what is the 'other bit of news'?

Shirts will go on sale from Saturday in the club shop... and just to let you know that when purchased they will not have the princes trust logo on as they won't be ready in time for Saturday. Therefore when you purchase the shirt it will be sponsorless and the receipt will enable you to bring the shirt back for the logo to be placed upon it.

Good news in my opinion. This allows people to have the choice between having the sponsor on the shirt or not!

Well done Rovers!

As its now about to go live on the Rovers side.....The other bit of news was at S60tti has since posted and clearly has a good contact or perhaps works at Rovers?

Fans have the choice shirt with or without sponsor - this has nothing to do with not being printed yet, it was the decision made.

As for why they have gone down the charity route, its 'an investment in brand strength' - the sponsor either pays what we want, or they dont get it - simple! It should also help get us some positive PR from it.

cant give quotes but im sure we played shrewsbury and cardiff with tiny gates? may be wrong then? cardiff i think we lost 1-4 and a pigeon dumped on me too.

Last game of the season, home to Cardiff crown was about 3,800 odd. Circa 1982 ish

Archived