418 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the new sponsors

• Delighted!
    • I'd have prefered a commercial sponsor, but this is a great alternative
    • Simply don't care
    • Waste a valuable income
    • No objection to charity, do object to the Princes Trust
    • Other (Please Explain)

Epic Fail! in a time, when our club and owners are being made fun of, this deal will ensure we get back on track. Do we honestly need that extra revenue right now? like I said, we don't know, but Venkys might not need a lucrative sponsorship right now. We just have to moan about everything, its in our nature I guess.

you can get lucrative sponsorship deals, without them having to be on the front of the shirt. nothing stops us, from approaching other sponsors and splashing their name on advertising boards or something

do we honestly need the extra revenue? I don't know anymore than you do on the finances, but having gone from having a so called £30M war chest, to scratching around in the couple of millions, I'd suspect we do need to maximise all revenue streams coming into the club.

If you actually bother to read my post though, you'll see that I'm pleased we took the decision to give it to charity rather than just take the £400k that was on offer. That was certainly one of their best decisions since they took over.

It's just a crying shame, that with all their 'resources' we couldn't find a shirt sponsor. That's the epic fail.

As for your other point - the level of cash you can get for advertising boards is not remotely in the same ball park as a shirt sponsor.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do we honestly need the extra revenue? I don't know anymore than you do on the finances, but having gone from having a so called £30M war chest, to scratching around in the couple of millions, I'd suspect we do need to maximise all revenue streams coming into the club.

If you actually bother to read my post though, you'll see that I'm pleased we took the decision to give it to charity rather than just take the £400k that was on offer. That was certainly one of their best decisions since they took over.

It's just a crying shame, that with all their 'resources' we couldn't find a shirt sponsor. That's the epic fail.

As for your other point - the level of cash you can get for advertising boards is not remotely in the same ball park as a shirt sponsor.

Wasting your time Andy.

What you said is actually a balanced comment, but some people only see what they want to see and should've been writing for Pravda in the 'eighties.

Not true, they came very close to agreeing a paid sponsorship deal with an Indian company only last week, but the length of that deal didn't fit in with other ‘commitments’ They also turned down several other offers believing the money offered wasn’t enough for a premiership club with our sort of exposure.

So to say “the club were not close to getting a paid sponsor for this season” is complete and utter bunkum John.

As for the princess trust I think it’s a fantastic idea, its certainly created the right kind of publicity already, and I applaud the decision.

+1 - the offers also beat Crowns £1.7m a year

I'm pleased we took the decision to give it to charity rather than just take the £400k that was on offer. That was certainly one of their best decisions since they took over.

£400k?? Ha ha funny! The betting companies who wanted it offered more than Crown have been paying us for the last 3 years.

Interesting point with the shirt hasnt come out yet - should do later.

Indeed Bryan, this message board is getting worse.

Yes, I take the point that certain posters are overly negative and will fail to see any good at all in the owners.

However, it has gone the other way with some, you try and look at both sides of an issue and you are just called a 'moaner', 'negative', 'anti Venky's' etc.

Im delighted with the Princes Trust being on our shirt. Its going to make people around the world take not of what the charity does as well as more exposure for us and I think it is the smartest shirt we have had since the 80's when I was a wee whipper snapper!!! Yeah Im only 30 guys.

I will be buying this shirt for my son and I, and I may even get the Mrs one, get a good pic and send it in to Zoo or Nuts!!!!!

Just out of curiosity, will the emblem be red on the away kit? I hope not, it would look out of place, i may be wrong but I think a black version on the away kit to fall in line with the colour scheme of that particular shirt

ROLL ON SATURDAY :brfcsmilie:

Ha Ha! 30?? Thats the funniest thing I have read on this board for ages!

Great gesture, great shirt - anyone thinking otherwise is a miserable sod.

Wasting your time Andy.

What you said is actually a balanced comment, but some people only see what they want to see and should've been writing for Pravda in the 'eighties.

true enough bryan!

at least the peoples opinions I actually care about on ehre are able to have a proper debate over it.

Ha Ha! 30?? Thats the funniest thing I have read on this board for ages!

Great gesture, great shirt - anyone thinking otherwise is a miserable sod.

I don't think anyone so far has doubted that its a great gesture.

The issue worth debating is their inability to secure the vital revenue stream for the club.

how's the duffel coat these days?! :D

ha ha. now there's a blast from the past!

Will you be going to the arsenal rovers game this year? Be good to have a pint!

The shirt looks great! No pink box, as I had feared. Looking forward to getting one! Nice work Rovers!

Princes Trust is also extra important when you think about the current happenings in London/Manchester these days!

Just seen it now, a red sponsor, perfect, wow what a kit, love it.

Great of Venkys to help a charity.

Believe what you want to believe Gav but not sure where you got that from - I am just relaying the (accurate) information which I have seen & also heard, I will try and refrain from saying anymore in order not to be "negative".....

As I said, fair play going for a charity though, Venky's trying to create a positive image.

So we didn't turn down a betting company? and we didn't turn down a major Indian sponsorship deal only last week?

Indeed Bryan, this message board is getting worse.

Yes, I take the point that certain posters are overly negative and will fail to see any good at all in the owners.

However, it has gone the other way with some, you try and look at both sides of an issue and you are just called a 'moaner', 'negative', 'anti Venky's' etc.

To be fair bar one obvious individual there has been no moaning IMO. Obvious concerns have been raised and mentioned and if this occurred again next year, unless we become Barca or have invested vast sums into the team without selling this would be an area of major concern.

This fits in with their philanthropic work in India.

EPIC FAIL on the commercial front.

Whilst I applaud the use of a charity, rather than give to a betting company for £400k per season ( all i understand they could actually get in the current market) it just demonstrates that Venky's have absolutely no clout in raising revenues for the club.

Also an epic fail for Kentaro, who should have had this sorted 6 months ago with their network of international clients in the sports rights field.

Let me make myself perfectly clear - happy that they have chosen charity over a tiny amount of revenue, but it raises yet more questions about their business acumen. It also surprises me that our incoming deputy MD, a former commercial director, also had no impact on raising revenues.

I think its a case of 'Every cloud has a silver lining' Andy, do we need the cash, YES, do we need some positive publicity, YES, if you can’t have both in this case.......

Good to see the owners thinking outside the box for a change.

+1 - the offers also beat Crowns £1.7m a year

£400k?? Ha ha funny! The betting companies who wanted it offered more than Crown have been paying us for the last 3 years.

If true then why were the hired agents scrambling around last week and hounding people for a "cut price deal" if they accepted by the start of the season.

If they wanted to give it charity all along, as the clubs PR team would have us believe, then why not announce it ages ago and get the shirts sorted out and on sale?

The deals offered by betting companies early on should have been taken, poor management and delusions of the amount of revenue they could expect to achieve.

Great gesture but their hand was forced by the lack of a viable offer.

I'm sure that the loss of sponsership revenue will be partly made up for by increased shirt sales. It looks quality, and I'll feel a lot less like a walking advert for a commercial company that I have no attachment to.

we would have to sell about 1m extra shirts to meet the same levels. Anyone got shirt sales figures from last year out of interest?

Interesting point with the shirt hasnt come out yet - should do later.

Just to highlight that point.

Il probably get slated for this.....BUT surely the fact that Venkys are trying to put some value back into our product is a good thing? Our season ticket money is worth very little so they have to add value somewhere.....

Yes we miss out on some money this season, but they can obviously handle that or they would have taken one of the sponsorship opportunities presented to them over the last 2 months.

If true then why were the hired agents scrambling around last week and hounding people for a "cut price deal" if they accepted by the start of the season.

If they wanted to give it charity all along, as the clubs PR team would have us believe, then why not announce it ages ago and get the shirts sorted out and on sale?

The deals offered by betting companies early on should have been taken, poor management and delusions of the amount of revenue they could expect to achieve.

Great gesture but their hand was forced by the lack of a viable offer.

Very true :rolleyes:

Not really Matty. Parsonblue is very much a sceptic but his posts are worth reading imo (and in the opinion of other 'Rovers Fans' too I'd reckon)

The sponsorship situation seems to demonstate that there will be those that will find negatives no matter what. As has been alluded to further up the club could have taken a substantial sum of money but decided to forego this and benefit a charity instead. This also benefits the club by way of much needed positive publicity outwith the Rovers support.

Plus the shirts look superb. Everybody is happy. Or should be.

How does grumbling about this help the club in any way?

I'm sure that the loss of sponsership revenue will be partly made up for by increased shirt sales. It looks quality, and I'll feel a lot less like a walking advert for a commercial company that I have no attachment to.

I agree with. Plus I'm sure that alot of fans we buy them on Saturday before the game aswell.

I think it is excellent news that the owners went we a charity organisation as sponosr. We will get excellent PR for doing this.

I will be buying a shirt on Saturday as long as they have got my size in.

Archived