BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] London riots

Look, a couple of points. As a Londoner I am used to living in a multi-cultural city, anyone trying to spin this as race related is wrong to do so.

The common denominator is that the violence and looting have sprung up around the most impoverished and overcrowded areas. The fact that a lot of these areas are predominantly black is true, but that's a long way from saying that the violence is in any way racially motivated.

Secondly - this isn't the fault of the local police force, don't blame them. They are outnumbered and in a city like this, going up against the locals in their own areas, they will always be outmanouvred. They need more men - the cuts to the police force don't seem so bright at the moment.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a tired somewhat cliched argument but I think 90's rap culture plays a part, Tupac and Biggie and co are idolised.

I do like some rap music but if you listen to songs like Tupacs 'Hit em up' there is no hiding from the content.

Jesus Christ almighty. I'm a big fan of Biggie Smalls myself. But right now I'm content at home, I'm not ransacking Oswaldtwistles Coral bookies taking TV's. There's greater forces at work here, what they are I don't know. But it's bigger than two dead rap artists and their music.

The people breaking into shops, homes and cars plus setting these on fire are nothing more than thugs and scum!!!

Most of these are under 16 and think this is cool. very sad people!!!

Think it is time for the government to allow the police to use water cannons now. I would also put the ARMY now on the street to protect the innocent people and property. These are people homes and cars that are being destory!!! Time we had Martial law in this country!

And it is about TIME THESE THUGS LEARNT HOW TO RESPECT PEOPLE AND THEIR PROPERTY!!!

Focus your ire on the people causing this and not those having to respond to unprecedented events.

Not unprecedented - the 1980s inner city riots were far worse and compared to those these are only minor incidents.

Common denominator to both of course is a right-wing government, public service cuts, disaffected youth and rising unemployment.

What you are witnessing is Tory Britain.....and everyone is very pleased.

shut up talking crap Jim!!!

If the Tory/Lib Dem hasn't cutting spending and trying to pay of debt then we would have gone like Greece and Portugal. Plus we would have had our credit rating downgraded like the USA as.

What do you get? Labour spend the money and unemployment was just as high as it is now!!!

Not unprecedented - the 1980s inner city riots were far worse and compared to those these are only minor incidents.

The riots in the 80's were incidents that occured in isolated areas but these "minor incidents" have erupted all over London and some of the thugs seem to be moving from one area to the next.

"Red Ken" as been on the news and even he reckons the latest riots are worse then the 80's!

Common denominator to both of course is a right-wing government, public service cuts, disaffected youth and rising unemployment.

I suppose the labour government would have passed out some weed and union cards and everything would have been lovely.

FFS.

Your political ilk caused this vermin to become what they are and be unleashed on the country, and when it breaks apart you blame who ever is available. Youu would rather watch the country burn than admit to the mistake. When some frothing (Please don't use that word again) wit breaks sown your door to steal your ivory pipe, tell him you are not rich, or a tory, that should save you...

Two generaations with a entitled attitude and (Please don't use that word again) all sense of personal responsibility.

• Backroom

Jesus Christ almighty. I'm a big fan of Biggie Smalls myself. But right now I'm content at home, I'm not ransacking Oswaldtwistles Coral bookies taking TV's. There's greater forces at work here, what they are I don't know. But it's bigger than two dead rap artists and their music.

As am I (prefer Tupac myself) but 'gangster rap' played a part in glorifying the lifestyle in my opinion.

Living in poverty is obviously a major factor as well.

Anyway Sky News' Mark Stone deserves a promotion, balls of steel.

Political point scoring --- big fail.

What's it going to be like in the next few years following the next round of cuts in police numbers.

The police are seemingly overstretched as it is and only barely able to contain the current situation.

The police union/leaders will rightfully be able to say look what happens you cut our numbers.

I think it's too easy for us to condemn all of this from the outside looking in without really understanding the situation. Saying that these people are "animals" and that police should go in hard on them won't resolve anything. It probably works with those who respect authority but it won't work in this case.

None of us would resort to violence but then none of us can claim to know what these kids' lives are like or how they've been brought up. Have the majority of these kids started off in a good household? Or have they started off with absolutely nothing and no hope? If society puts them at the bottom rung of the ladder from the off then I'm not surprised that this kind of thing happens. Calling hopeless people "scrotes" is ignorant. You have to try and get inside the reason as to why they are the way they are.

The "Big Society" and previous governments have obviously not done enough to end child poverty. If the parents cannot help them then, in my opinion, government and society have to intervene. The importance of bringing kids out of immediate poverty cannot be understated and is still a big problem here. Only that sort of help will reduce the chances of these kind of things from happening again.

How wet is that? You are confusing 'absolute poverty' with 'relative poverty'. No way can you even begin to excuse criminal acts and acts against society as these are.

• Backroom

Kicking off a bit in Liverpool as well, seems to be youths jumping on the bandwagon.

Edit: Sky messed up, that footage was London not Liverpool although there are pics of twitter claiming to be in Liverpool

Archived