BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn End to be renamed Ronnie Clayton Stand ?

Glenn

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great gesture by the club this! I also echo the suggestion that the Darwen End be renamed the Bryan Douglas Stand,this club has had some great players play in the blue and white and i`m glad the club have decided to honour their contributions. :tu:

Going back to Ronnie Clayton,i`m sure many of our supporters have their own memories of him both on the pitch and off,however being born in 1970 sadly i never got the chance to see him play So my only memories of him were off the pitch.

A couple of years ago i went over to the club shop with my 2 kids (i think to get some tickets) and Ronnie was stood in the club shop in a Rovers track suit handing out signed photo`s of himself.Of course my 2 didn`t have an inkling who he was however i did and i remember feeling very humble and proud to finally meet somebody who i had heard so much about and who had done so much for Rovers.I had a chat with Ronnie for about 15 mins but got the feeling that Ronnie would have chatted all day about Rovers,an instantly likeable man who you felt you had known for years,Unfortunately I had to get back home as i was going to start a 2-10pm shift at work.

If this rumour is true then it would be a fitting,and imo overdue,tribute to the man.Well done Rovers and Venky`s.

Naming the dilapidated Riverside after him would be poor at best Adopted.

I was lucky enough to be present on one of his ground tours a few years ago,his enthusiasm was contagious,he was kicking and heading every ball as he told his memories of his time in the blue 'n' white.Sadly,club servants like him are becoming a thing of the past,a distant memory of when football was pure football and nothing else.

That's fair enough SG, just 'love the Blackburn End' :)

It will always be the Blackburn end to us just as much as the Walkersteel/Fraser Eagle stand will always be the Riverside.But it is nice to name a stand that is at the heart of what we are about in honour of a player who was a very important piece of that heart,and is part of our Rovers family who has shared the ups and downs of our great club.

Rather than pissing about renaming stands Venkys should be focusing all their energy on bringing in some much much needed quality players.

Anyway, I hope this news is true, as it will be a great testament to a Rovers legend and an honour to his loved ones.

I find it absolutely incredible that some can moan about this. If this is true whoever thought of this should be applauded. My guess is that it could easily have been offered for naming rights (like the WEC Darwen End) but the strong tradition of the family club is being maintained by naming it after a legend who most of us could identify with.

Brilliant idea but better the Riverside ? Can't imagine the Blackburn End being known as anything but the Blackburn End

I have to agree with this, the Blackburn end should remain the Blackburn end for me and name one of the other stands The Ronnie Clayton stand.

The mans a legend, a fitting tribute :tu:

Best post so far,.

Stil think a ring of fame around the ground with legends in it would look amazing.

No reason why this shouldn't be suggested, Abbey. It's a great idea. We have already suggested a museum for the Riverside when it is developed and the idea was considered a good one.

Best post so far,.

Stil think a ring of fame around the ground with legends in it would look amazing.

We talked about this a few years ago Abs, I have to agree, it would be great to see and encourage fans to get down early which can only be good for merchandise and confectionary sales.

No reason why this shouldn't be suggested, Abbey. It's a great idea. We have already suggested a museum for the Riverside when it is developed and the idea was considered a good one.

Have we had an official word that they will be re-developing the Riverside? I hope so!

A museum and a ring of Legends as well as the rumoured Ronnie Clayton stand and we'll have to say Venkys are doing a good job of keeping up and using our tradition positively :)

If we do have a ring of legends (fine idea by the way) I'd like the legend pictures to be alternated with pictures of current players. Gives they players another reason to have that bit of pride and respect for the club rather than just the cash.

Naming the dilapidated Riverside after him would be poor at best Adopted.

I was lucky enough to be present on one of his ground tours a few years ago,his enthusiasm was contagious,he was kicking and heading every ball as he told his memories of his time in the blue 'n' white.Sadly,club servants like him are becoming a thing of the past,a distant memory of when football was pure football and nothing else.

Wife and I also did the tour with him. He loved doing those tours and talking about the club. I bet he told you the story about the player with the broken nose at half time.

I have to agree with this, the Blackburn end should remain the Blackburn end for me and name one of the other stands The Ronnie Clayton stand.

The mans a legend, a fitting tribute :tu:

I would agree with the riverside being named after Ronnie Clayton - but ONLY if it was redeveloped first. But to do so now, would be very very wrong. Not a nice way to treat a legend of Rovers. The said thing is Rovers cannot afford to redevelop the riverside yet. Maybe the could call the blackburn end

THE RONNIE CLAYTONS BLACKBURN END. Covers everything that.

If we do have a ring of legends (fine idea by the way) I'd like the legend pictures to be alternated with pictures of current players. Gives they players another reason to have that bit of pride and respect for the club rather than just the cash.

Sod that, would get out-of-date easy and would cheapen the whole idea.

Ronnie Clayton next to Vinny Grella, not quite the same.

If you wanna be a legend, you gotta work for it.

Couldn't agree more Abbey,this club has a very proud history and has seen some great players in our famous colors...it should be celebrated on high.

Can someone bring it up at the fans forum, deciding who will be in the ring will be entertaining to say the least!

Sod that, would get out-of-date easy and would cheapen the whole idea.

Ronnie Clayton next to Vinny Grella, not quite the same.

If you wanna be a legend, you gotta work for it.

I was thinking the reverse of that. Reminding them of the company they are in. They'd be up in their season slot under their squad number and only when they reach legend status do they get a permanent slot. Obviously the current season ones would get updated to reflect the actual squad.

I'd settle for a legends only version, of course!

Archived